Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Ultimate QF hack: Save Significant $$ on EK Award Flight Taxes booked via QF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: qantas

Hi All

I've recently published an article on my blog showing how one can save almost $1000 AUD on EK J and F fares booked with Qantas Points. This makes it a very appealing use of QF points, particularly for US based folks who are usually adverse to paying such high taxes! (With QFF having saturated the market over here, most Aussies are used to it).

While many of you probably know that flights commencing in HKG don't have airline fees and surcharges attached, you might be surprised to know that it's the same for sectors that follow - so long as they are booked on the same itinerary. This works best for EK, and I've saved over $900 AUD on upcoming EK F return flights to Europe by using this trick. If you're interested in reading more about it, post is here: https://thechampagnemile.com.au/how-...qantas-points/

Cheers
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is not a hack or anything other than that carrier imposed surcharges are limited by law for journeys starting in Hong Kong
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adelee
.. This makes it a very appealing use of QF points, particularly for US based folks who are usually adverse to paying such high taxes
Real taxes on flights are the same for all airlines for the same route and class. A surcharge can trigger additional real taxes if the flight changes from a non revenue flight to a revenue flight.
A "carrier imposed surcharge" goes directed to the airline (=profit). A "carrier imposed surcharge" is definitely not a tax.
Those who mix taxes and surcharges and consider surcharges as taxes are being take as fools by the airlines (they like it that way)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Its nothing new. HKG even last century (when there were paper tickets) was a cheap place to get tickets. Agents such as Thomas Cook were very happy and very open about asking their Hong Kong office to do ticketting and post the tickets back to their Sydney office for a very happy customer (me). IIRC it worked out cheaper to get one way tickets than return tickets from Oz to Europe/UK than returns. And all these were substantially cheaper than buying / plating from Oz.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:49 am

I think for those not in the know adelee has provided a clearly written easy to follow blog post - so thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:54 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
This is not really a hack and doesn't only apply to QFF awards or EK flights, but rather any ex-HKG itinerary.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:54 am

Is showing off, I mean blogging, on less than mundane frequent flyer redemptions with misleading titles, I mean travel hacks, still a thing?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.