Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

No airport upgrade from Y if you don't select J and W on a 380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

My understanding of the upgrade process on Qantas from economy (Y)

Code:
request upgrade on website/call centre 
 --> if it clears before T-24, great!
       --> if it doesn't clear T-24, then airport list
             --> airport upgrade priority is 
                    1. qantas status
                    2. fare bucket
                    3. time checked-in
                    4. other computer wizardry
On a recent DXB-SYD flight, what I learned (the hard way): you don't go on to the airport list on a 380 unless you do two things:
1/ select the "put me on the airport wait list" AND
2/ request an upgrade for both business (J) and premium economy (W)

I imagine this community always selects 1, but who does 2 given the poor value of Y->W upgrades?

(and of course, DXB-SYD pax for upgrades are always behind LHR-SYD pax)

Last edited by shuuy; Jun 17, 2017 at 10:12 pm
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't class premium economy as bad value upgrades and on the times I have requested upgrades to business have alway also selected premium econony as a backup
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
When requesting an upgrade to Business you must also select the option for a Premium Economy upgrade (when offered) to be considered for an upgrade at the airport.
This is noted on the Qantas page describing on departure upgrades. So it's not just a A380 thing.

https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...pgrade-rewards
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't know, my lhr-syd usually do not clear on the lhr-dxb but then clear in dxb for the longer dab-syd leg. Maybe lhr does not like me....
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I don't know, my lhr-syd usually do not clear on the lhr-dxb but then clear in dxb for the longer dab-syd leg. Maybe lhr does not like me....
Is it because of this clause?

"For upgrades at the airport, if you are travelling continuously on a flight that stops in one or more ports (with the same flight number), you will only be eligible for an upgrade on the last leg and only if that last leg has a flying time longer than three hours. Points will only be deducted for the portion of your flight that was upgraded."
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by shuuy
My understanding of the upgrade process on Qantas from economy (Y)

Code:
                    1. qantas status
                    2. fare bucket
                    3. time checked-in
                    4. other computer wizardry
I believed that to be the case some years ago, but understand it has changed:
Code:
                    1. qantas status
                    2. other computer wizardry (refer PCV).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
Is it because of this clause?

"For upgrades at the airport, if you are travelling continuously on a flight that stops in one or more ports (with the same flight number), you will only be eligible for an upgrade on the last leg and only if that last leg has a flying time longer than three hours. Points will only be deducted for the portion of your flight that was upgraded."
I don't know, as the LHR/DXB sector was full to the rafters each time. My guess would be that the clause may kick in if they can upgrade the first sector at the airport but cannot confirm the second sector at that time leading to;

1. If I am booked on one segment for LHR/DXB/SYD, I receive one BP, So can they actually and easily print two boarding cards at LHR for J on the first flight and Y on the second. So 2 BPs for one segment at the one time.

2. It would be a let down to be J for one sector and Y for the last. Probably QF do not care as they would like the points revenue.

Just some thoughts? I will see if I can book LHR/DXB and DXB/SYD separately next time.

KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.