Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Earning QF miles on MH KUL-SYD Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Shiny metal ones that go clink.

Can I check if I'm going mad, or if QF earning on MH really is now so poor?

I'm booked in Flexible Business SIN-KUL-SYD on Malaysian. Gold on QF, Silver on BA, so same status on both.

Looking at the QF calculator it says there is no Business Class KUL-SYD, and Flex economy only earns 4000 miles and 30SC. (IE, half an upgrade from Y to C from SYD to MEL)

By contrast if I pop the miles on BA, I earn 12,346 miles and 140 TPs. (IE, half an upgrade from C to First from HKG to LHR)

This really makes no sense - is there something I'm missing or is there an error I'm making somewhere?
Old May 25, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not missing anything - that's how it is.

When travelling on flights between
  • Australia and Malaysia, UK or Europe*;
  • New Zealand and Malaysia, UK or Europe*; and
  • Malaysia and UK, Europe* or Middle East

Qantas treat Business and First Class are treated as Flexible Economy for Status Credit and Points earning.

Qantas and Malaysia Airlines had a bit of a commercial falling out, and they are taking it out on each others customers. Pretty pathetic behavior by both the airlines.....
Old May 26, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
because MH and QF competes on same route. qf wants you to fly with them not with MH and bank SC to qf... not to mention MH fares are so dead cheap
Old May 26, 2017, 1:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fakecd
because MH and QF competes on same route. qf wants you to fly with them not with MH and bank SC to qf... not to mention MH fares are so dead cheap
It's more than that. As Perthite alludes, MH and QF entered into an agreement to setup a new airline. QF sponsored MH into oneworld. Then for some reason, the setup of the airline fell apart, and relations soured. So therefore they won't encourage anyone to fly on each other's airline.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fakecd
QF doesn't fly to KUL so which route are you talking about competing?
Old May 26, 2017, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
QF doesn't fly to KUL so which route are you talking about competing?
sorry should have been clearer. they compete on aus-asia"zone" as a whole... where they do not compete directly, for examlple, hkg kul sector (intra asia "zone") MH Business earns full SC on MH. or say be creative like HKG-KUL-SIN on MH would earn full SC also at same cost

likewise if you check Qatar earning from DOH to West europe like LHR or mainstream westEU ZoNE earn half those od QF. but if you took QR from DOH to east europe like Hungary, you earn more SC than dod-LHR! why? cuz QF doesnt compete on DOH-east EU zone
Old May 27, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
QF would prefer you fly a QF service to SIN, then a QF codeshare on 3K (Jetstar Asia) to KUL
Old May 27, 2017, 7:00 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
QF should restore relations with MH. The plan never made sense to me and MH pulling out probably saved QF from losing a stack of money.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by moa999
QF would prefer you fly a QF service to SIN, then a QF codeshare on 3K (Jetstar Asia) to KUL
I actually prefer to fly MH from SYD to SIN in J. Just little more than BA PEY and credit to CX
Old May 28, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I actually prefer to fly MH from SYD to SIN in J. Just little more than BA PEY and credit to CX
i personally dont mind MH. but wife doesnt want me to disappear just yet
Old May 28, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Should have booked SIN - MEL with a QF flight number, but flying EK, and then Au dom MEL - SYD the next day.
Full SC earn as if flying QF itself!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: NZ
I have just discovered this "trap"!

However the Points Calculator for KUL/AKL gives a decent Business earning rate, rather than just the Flexible Economy rate. Flights to NZ are supposed to accrue at the Flexible Economy rate per the rules.

Now I am further confused! Anyone have any further insight into this?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by minz56
I have just discovered this "trap"!

However the Points Calculator for KUL/AKL gives a decent Business earning rate, rather than just the Flexible Economy rate. Flights to NZ are supposed to accrue at the Flexible Economy rate per the rules.

Now I am further confused! Anyone have any further insight into this?
My MH flights AKL-KUL and return in business class were credited at flexible economy rate.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
My MH flights AKL-KUL and return in business class were credited at flexible economy rate.
Thanks Kiwi Flyer... not what I wanted to hear, but not surprised that the rules prevail.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Under QF's Simple and Fairer or Fairer and Simpler, or something, a while back, a QFF member flying MH in J had their earning rates for FF miles/points reduced.
Must have been about 12/18 months ago now.
Only affects QFF members flying MH KUL - Au and KUL - NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.