Wiki Posts
Search

Benevolent rates

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Benevolent rates

If you need to change a flight due a death (mother) does Qantas waive fees like Airnz does?
Old May 25, 2017, 3:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Beano
If you need to change a flight due a death (mother) does Qantas waive fees like Airnz does?
IME - no. But they were very good at dropping everything to get us a flight that we otherwise may not have got on. This was at LAX. Still had to pay the going price. But, it was easy in a stressful situation.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at some fare rules at random , they do state

WAIVER PERMITTED FOR -
DEATH OF A PASSENGER/AN ACCOMPANYING PASSENGER/
IMMEDIATE RELATIVE AS DEFINED IN PAT GENERAL RULE/
LEGAL GUARDIAN OR WARD AS VALIDATED BY A DEATH OR
MEDICAL CERTIFICATE
Old May 25, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Qantas Gold FF
Very sorry for your loss Beano. They waved a change fee (over the phone) on a flight for me in the same circumstance.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Waive fees

Originally Posted by QueEff
Very sorry for your loss Beano. They waved a change fee (over the phone) on a flight for me in the same circumstance.
Thank you ...have not been myself over the last few days
Already have changed the Qantas flight but in light of the comments I will phone Qantas (will report back)
The AIRNZ sector change fee waived and special rate for the domestic sectors.
(only thought of this for the Qantas sectors after I spoke to AIRNZ)

REPORT BACK UPDATE

DAVE NOBLE is correct they "could have" but as I have already changed and paid the change they cannot refund or issue a credit.
If a Qantas rep pm me then I will update this thread

On an another issue AIRNZ did fully refund a whole fare even 2 months after purchase when I duplicated a purchase

Last edited by Beano; May 25, 2017 at 7:12 pm Reason: update
Old May 26, 2017, 3:16 am

Already have changed the Qantas flight but in light of the comments I will phone Qantas (will report back)
Good luck, I hope they can refund any fees for you.

I didn't want to mention my situation to the phone operator but she kept making small talk and asking questions about whether I had a good holiday while she processed the change and when I told her the situation she said ok, stop, I'll start this again and waive all fees. She said I should have mentioned it but I wasn't inclined to do so.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

I didn't want to mention my situation to the phone operator but she kept making small talk and asking questions about whether I had a good holiday while she processed the change and when I told her the situation she said ok, stop, I'll start this again and waive all fees. She said I should have mentioned it but I wasn't inclined to do so.
had you already made your change online?
i had a day ago so they said No refund OR credit
if i had made the call first (before doing online) they said they would have probably waived all fees.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:20 am

had you already made your change online?
No, I had to make the change over the phone as I'd previously changed part of the booking online so it was locked for changes.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

No, I had to make the change over the phone as I'd previously changed part of the booking online so it was locked for changes.
thanks for the information
slight difference in situation
it seems once you have parted with your money a refund or credit is not possible with Qantas
(Airnz refunded me due a double booking ..my inattention to detail )
Small point of difference between two airlines or could have been due to status difference (qantas silver/airnz elite)
Old May 26, 2017, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is quite a difference between the 2 situations

With the NZ double booking, I assume that you did that with an agent rather than using the website and just accepting the penalties

Also, this was a refund - in this case, there would be no issue getting a refund of the ticket in this situation , but that is different to refund of a change fee that has already been paid
Old May 27, 2017, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Benevolent rates

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is quite a difference between the 2 situations

With the NZ double booking, I assume that you did that with an agent rather than using the website and just accepting the penalties

Also, this was a refund - in this case, there would be no issue getting a refund of the ticket in this situation , but that is different to refund of a change fee that has already been paid
the airnz one was done on the website
Yes there is so much to learn ...
i think my lesson is to not do anything until i have posted my problem on FT
the wealth of knowledge on the site is amazing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.