Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrade suggestion for Qantas operated, AA marketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

I am booked on an American ticket /Qantas codeshare from BNE to LAX (AA 7380 operated by Qantas) in Coach. I know that I can not upgrade using miles through AA but are there any options to upgrade to Premium Economy or Business through Qantas. If so, do they offer it prior to travel or is it usually offered only at the gate? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by jes999
I am booked on an American ticket /Qantas codeshare from BNE to LAX (AA 7380 operated by Qantas) in Coach. I know that I can not upgrade using miles through AA but are there any options to upgrade to Premium Economy or Business through Qantas. If so, do they offer it prior to travel or is it usually offered only at the gate? Thanks.
I believe they will accept full fare difference...
Old May 21, 2017, 7:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You are inquiring about upgrading on a Qantas operated, AA marketed flight (on AA ticket stock). You're already aware AAdvantage miles can not be used to upgrade flights on other airlines (other than on BA and IB, within certain limitations).

The best place to learn what options you might have would be the Qantas | Frequent Flyer forum. (My limited experience with seeking QF upgrades is they want full return fare for the desired class of service - even if the outbound leg has been flown. Perhaps other, more knowledgeable people can weigh in.)

We will move this thread to that forum, leaving a trailing link for you to follow.

/JDiver, Moderator
Old May 21, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
To use Qantas point to waitlist for an upgrade you must be booked on a Qantas flight number for a flight operated by Qantas and be in an eligible booking class.

An AA marketed flight on Qantas metal is ineligible.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt responses. I did not think there were any good options but wanted to throw the question out there in case I was missing something!
Old May 22, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF does solicit paid upgrades on certain flights (as do many other airlines), this is done by a 3rd party system but it is only for QF marketed flights. As your flight is AA marketed, it would be up to AA to offer this (and I have never seen AA do so on any codeshare non-JV service). So no points or $ upgrades are possible due to your choice of ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.