Wiki Posts
Search

Check in MEL - POM overnight in BNE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Check in MEL - POM overnight in BNE

Am flying from Melbourne to Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea) with an overnight in Brisbane - the early morning connection from MEL is too tight. Same ticket and pnr. Can I check my bags through or do I need to collect bags on arrival in BNE and recheck in the morning? Looks like my luggage allowance is that of a through ticket ie weight versus piece but don't know if this applies in terms of checking in with a 13 hour connection time. Any input much appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
My experience with QF is that through-checked bags must be for same day connections, and overnight requires claiming bags and re-check the next morning. Doubt the policy has changed as it was some limitation in the baggage tagging system not being able to do future dates, but they may be willing to manually tag your bag at MEL, and you have to use the "international connections" check-in at MEL domestic terminal which tend to be pretty helpful.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Your luggage allowance will be the same for the whole journey.

Indeed policy is not to check through for overnight transits within Australia.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Thanks for your replies. Glad I don't need to worry about the domestic versus international luggage allowance in spite of not checking my bags through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.