Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW booking with points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, SLH Loved, Hertz 5Star, Europcar Exec, Emerald Exec, QFF Silver
RTW booking with points

Hi,

So I'm planning to use my Qantas points to book a RTW trip (business class all the way ideally) for next year. Would anyone know a rough estimate on how much I'll need?

Flight plan:
BNE -> SFO -> +/- GND -> JFK -> LHR -> TXL -> JNB -> KUL -> BNE (duration:3 months)

Thanks guys!

Last edited by noodle4001; Apr 7, 2017 at 11:43 pm
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF have a RTW econ/business award at 140,000/280,000 points plus cash surcharges/taxes/fees. Compared to most QF awards is reasonable value. Can be hard to extremely hard (~impossible) to find award flights. The long over ocean business class awards are hard to get on QF/AA/BA. You will not be able to do your exact RTW route as no direct flights on many of those routes: will need some work. BNE-SFO-GND-JFK-LHR-TXL-JNB-KUL-BNE in GCM
Otherwise its point to point awards as the QF award calculator.

https://www.oneworld.com/flights/where-we-fly

There is a good long thread on this topic on AFF. Best place for questions on this,
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...420k-8228.html

http://www.pointhacks.com.au/qantas-...c-award-guide/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 8, 2017 at 12:13 am
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:16 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the Qantas board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
Having booked a couple of J RTWs recently, it's pretty straightforward as long as you are flexible with your travel dates and destinations. Basically points required top out at 280,000, then it's the total distance that counts. However, if you decide to change part of your trip to use non One-World airlines such as EK, then you may require more points. The QF phone staff are usually very helpful in assisting you to find those elusive award flights, and it does help if you do some award searches yourself, using sites such as EF. BA J award flights are usually easy to find, but Qatar trips are scarce. I'm not using any QF award flights this time, and my total charges were around $1200.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, SLH Loved, Hertz 5Star, Europcar Exec, Emerald Exec, QFF Silver
Just making sure I was looking at the right thing no other "hidden points" charges. Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.