Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantaslink Baggage Allowance to MEL-HBA

Qantaslink Baggage Allowance to MEL-HBA

Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Looking at https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...mestic-flights
it seems to indicate that the Q400 are limited to one checked at 23kg regardless of status
AFAIK, MEL-HBA has been exclusively B717 for some time now..., so your Q400 comment is rather irrelevant to the question on hand...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
I'm thinking the 16kg may have applied to Qantaslink flights to Olympic Dam and Mt Hotham. (Both of which were weight limited)

As Qantas no longer serves either destination, someone at Qantas may have gone through the table and removed all reference to those destinations, without realising that in doing so the 16kg row became irrelevant.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by og
What an amazingly convoluted set of bag rules!
Well, this is the airline that brought you Simpler and Fairer! In comparison, the baggage rules ought to be a doddle.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just to update this thread following my trip around OZ.

As a GCH travellng in Y I got 2 x23kg on all my flights, my wife however as a SCH got a wide variety of allowances.

None of the flights involved any international sectors.

MEL Baggage services had confirmed over the phone that she would get 2x23KG as well on all sectors.

SYD-MEL-HBA 2 bags checked in no problem.

HBA-MEL-BNE 1 bag only. Supervisor called and was adamant only one bag. Melbourne Baggage services called (same people I spoke to ) They too said only one bag. I took a photo of Qantaslink inflight magazine which states that a SCH gets extra baggage allowance, just in case...Bag was dragged out from baggage handling, as it had already been sent through, after about 20 mins and we just took it on as hand baggage.

BNE - MEL 2 bags no problem

MEL - SYD 1 bag only. Produced photo of inflight magazine. Supervisor called who said it's only 1 bag but they would waive the charge! Supervisor did not want to say what the extra baggage allowance in their inflight magazine related to as she wasn't sure.

It seems to be total chaos and you have no idea what policy will be enforced.

For future trips I won't be using QF again as the whole process was a giant pain in the arse and the extra cost of using QF was a total waste.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Baggage is a shambles. Even without checking the QF website, my BA issued DONEx ticket shows 3x23kg for SYD-PER but only 2x23kg for subsequent 73H sectors - all ticketed and seated in D.
edited: QF MMB says 2x23kg SYD-PER inspite of BA MMB showing 3x23kg

Last edited by og; May 8, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by og
Baggage is a shambles. Even without checking the QF website, my BA issued DONEx ticket shows 3x23kg for SYD-PER but only 2x23kg for subsequent 73H sectors - all ticketed and seated in D.
edited: QF MMB says 2x23kg SYD-PER inspite of BA MMB showing 3x23kg
Prepare for frustration as there is nothing you can do to establish in advance what the check in agent/Baggage services will decide on the day! If you speak to MEL baggage services, record the call and get the name of the person you speak to.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Does anyone have experiences concerning the Dash 8 services and travelling with 2 checked bags? The Qantas page is not really clear.

One the one hand they say that the checked baggage allowance is 1 piece and don't mention anything about status on the other hand they say that "Baggage carried above these allowances may not travel on the same flight due to aircraft weight restrictions".

So do you get a second bag as status benefit when flying with Dash 8 and how frequent do those weight restrictions take effect?

I'm OWE and I never had any issues on ATR services in northern Europe even when having 3 bags.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:09 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Does anyone have experiences concerning the Dash 8 services and travelling with 2 checked bags?....
Northern europe doesnt get 40C+ temperatures and does get smaller fuel loads than some Oz routes leaving more for bags It all depends on route and flying conditions as QF often has 100% pax loading on these Q400s and they will choose to leave bags behind rather than deny boarding to people. For routes like SYD-CBR you are completely safe with extra bags, for some of the WA routes there is a definite chance and "later flight" may mean a day later or longer. Some of the more notorious routes are now serviced by 717s with the end of the mining boom making these aircraft available for non-FIFO missions.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by number_6
Northern europe doesnt get 40C+ temperatures and does get smaller fuel loads than some Oz routes leaving more for bags It all depends on route and flying conditions as QF often has 100% pax loading on these Q400s and they will choose to leave bags behind rather than deny boarding to people. For routes like SYD-CBR you are completely safe with extra bags, for some of the WA routes there is a definite chance and "later flight" may mean a day later or longer. Some of the more notorious routes are now serviced by 717s with the end of the mining boom making these aircraft available for non-FIFO missions.
I plan to fly to ABX for skiing, so I assume 40C+ should not be an issue. Weightwise I will not need much. Just the second bag for skis.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Digging this one out, anyone have issues checking 2 bags on Dash8 from CBR-SYD? I have flights back to the US the next day but on AA, so they probably won't care connection wise. Is it possible to get an exception? Both are too big to carry on.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If I am a one world emerald when I book, but am downgraded to sapphire (by American Airliens) by the time I fly, will my reservation show the status at booking or at flying (assuming no changes0. One flight will be just two days after the downgrade, others a couple weeks.

I assume sapphire doesn't get an extra bag.

Also, If I am in coach from HBA-MEL but business from MEL-CNS, I assume I get the business class baggage allowance, is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by beachfan; Nov 12, 2023 at 7:49 pm
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will have the business class allowance on the direction in which you are in business class and economy on the economy class direction

Sapphire status allows for 2 pieces in economy class
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will have the business class allowance on the direction in which you are in business class and economy on the economy class direction

Sapphire status allows for 2 pieces in economy class
thanks. Its the same direction on a mixed cabin itinerary for a connecting flights (my original post was incorrect, and I fixed it yo dhow MEL-CNS

Its award travel booked on AS so not easy to get my AA # in. Finnair site wont let me, trying Qantas via twitter.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OWE on Y, I managed to check the 3rd bag, which is a carry-on size bag, free of charge on several domestic flights. AU carryon limit is much smaller than the US, and at SYD, a lady asked everyone to weigh the bag not exceeding 10kg. So your Tumi/Rimowa is likely overweight unless it's empty.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:52 pm

Still not sure about my mixed itinerary one way ticket Hob-Mel-CNS. First leg is economy, connecting in Mel, second leg is business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.