Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Double SC for all - book by 6th march (Travel Mar 2017-Feb 19, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double SC for all - book by 6th march (Travel Mar 2017-Feb 19, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:58 am

I was so excited when I got this e-mail - however, have just read the fine print which states: ''The Status Bonus is applied to the actual Qantas Points earned when travelling in the Economy cabin. For travel in premium cabins, the Status Bonus is applied to the Flexible Economy earn rate ''.
I did some rough calculations and if I'm reading the above correctly - there really is no bonus if you were to fly Business as the Status Bonus equals the same. That's if I'm reading the above correctly of course, but I'm keen to see if others have come to the same conclusion.
For example; using the Sydney to Bangkok flights - the following status credits are showing on the Qantas calculator:
Economy: 40
Flexi Economy: 60
Business: 120

So if I rush in and book a Business class ticket - by the looks of things, I'm going to earn the same as it will be calculated on the Flexi Economy rate.
Am I reading this correctly - or do others agree that there is no gain for Business Class bookings with this promo?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by Honeygirl
I was so excited when I got this e-mail - however, have just read the fine print which states: ''The Status Bonus is applied to the actual Qantas Points earned when travelling in the Economy cabin. For travel in premium cabins, the Status Bonus is applied to the Flexible Economy earn rate ''.
I did some rough calculations and if I'm reading the above correctly - there really is no bonus if you were to fly Business as the Status Bonus equals the same. That's if I'm reading the above correctly of course, but I'm keen to see if others have come to the same conclusion.
For example; using the Sydney to Bangkok flights - the following status credits are showing on the Qantas calculator:

So if I rush in and book a Business class ticket - by the looks of things, I'm going to earn the same as it will be calculated on the Flexi Economy rate.
Am I reading this correctly - or do others agree that there is no gain for Business Class bookings with this promo?
Where are you reading this? It's not on the page below:

https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/memberSpecials/double-status-credits-global-17?alt_cam=uk:qf:edm:mar17ffer&rmid=20170303_uk& rrid=1117662
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Jase76
Where are you reading this? It's not on the page below:

https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/me...k&rrid=1117662
That was within the e-mail that I received regarding the promo. Along with the other conditions that are outlined from the link you provided - the additional conditions from the e-mail are as follows:

''^^ The Status Bonus is applied to the actual Qantas Points earned when travelling in the Economy cabin. For travel in premium cabins, the Status Bonus is applied to the Flexible Economy earn rate.
~~ Lounge eligibility and access is based on the class of travel for your next onward flight that day, Qantas Club membership or Frequent Flyer membership tier. Visit the for lounge eligibility and access conditions.
* Seat selection cannot be guaranteed as seats may need to be changed for operational, safety or security reasons, even after boarding the aircraft. View full terms and conditions for seat selection. Companion(s) must be on the same booking and travel itinerary with a Platinum One, Platinum, Gold or Silver Frequent Flyer member to receive complimentary seat selection. You can select your preferred seat on Qantas-operated international flights QF1-199 and Qantas domestic flights QF400-1349 (excluding QantasLink services). On QantasLink services you can request a preference for an aisle or window seat. After making a booking, seat selection can be found when you log-in to Manage Your Booking or Your Bookings if you are a Qantas Frequent Flyer, or you can contact our Qantas Contact Centres. Fees may apply.
>> Classic Upgrade Reward registrations are prioritised according to your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership level: Platinum first, followed by Gold, Silver and then Bronze. See Classic Upgrade Rewards for more information.
# The travel required in each Membership Year to attain or retain Silver, Gold or Platinum membership must include a minimum of four Eligible Flight Segments where a QF, JQ, 3K, GK or BL flight number is on the ticket
''.

I'm all ready to book my next flight with this promo - but honestly, won't be in a rush if there is no bonus for a Business Class booking - there just doesn't seem to be any point if the information on my e-mail is correct.
Thanks for providing the link Jase - much appreciated .
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:41 am

That was within the e-mail that I received regarding the promo. Along with the other conditions that are outlined from the link you provided - the additional conditions from the e-mail are as follows:

''^^ The Status Bonus is applied to the actual Qantas Points earned when travelling in the Economy cabin. For travel in premium cabins, the Status Bonus is applied to the Flexible Economy earn rate.
~~ Lounge eligibility and access is based on the class of travel for your next onward flight that day, Qantas Club membership or Frequent Flyer membership tier. Visit the for lounge eligibility and access conditions.
* Seat selection cannot be guaranteed as seats may need to be changed for operational, safety or security reasons, even after boarding the aircraft. View full terms and conditions for seat selection. Companion(s) must be on the same booking and travel itinerary with a Platinum One, Platinum, Gold or Silver Frequent Flyer member to receive complimentary seat selection. You can select your preferred seat on Qantas-operated international flights QF1-199 and Qantas domestic flights QF400-1349 (excluding QantasLink services). On QantasLink services you can request a preference for an aisle or window seat. After making a booking, seat selection can be found when you log-in to Manage Your Booking or Your Bookings if you are a Qantas Frequent Flyer, or you can contact our Qantas Contact Centres. Fees may apply.
>> Classic Upgrade Reward registrations are prioritised according to your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership level: Platinum first, followed by Gold, Silver and then Bronze. See Classic Upgrade Rewards for more information.
# The travel required in each Membership Year to attain or retain Silver, Gold or Platinum membership must include a minimum of four Eligible Flight Segments where a QF, JQ, 3K, GK or BL flight number is on the ticket
''.

I'm all ready to book my next flight with this promo - but honestly, won't be in a rush if there is no bonus for a Business Class booking - there just doesn't seem to be any point if the information on my e-mail is correct.
Thanks for providing the link Jase - much appreciated .
Maybe due to being UK based, but I did not have that wording in the promotional email. Think you also need to look at what part of the email the T&C applies to. Suspect you will be safe getting double SC in Business. Infact, I hope so as well as I am planning to book a Business class flight to get it!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: QF, Virgin Australia

The status bonus refers to earning points not status credits.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Tech Noir
Exactly; after the waves of "Simpler and Fairer" passed through, any stats bonus points earn has had a maximum earn based on the flexi economy level.

It has nothing to do with status credit earning ...

... and, hence, Double SC earn.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Exactly; after the waves of "Simpler and Fairer" passed through, any stats bonus points earn has had a maximum earn based on the flexi economy level.

It has nothing to do with status credit earning ...

... and, hence, Double SC earn.
Originally Posted by Tech Noir
I feel like such a dork for misreading that .
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
this marketing actually works for QF to win over marginal flyer.... as a recent newly Gold i wss thinking of what trips to make for next cycle year.. i am based in HK and was leaning for Qatar sale to europe banking them to QF in summer supplement with few JQ flughts..... but this promotion came by so i decided to fly qantas instead... just had timely business class sale so i got a HKG to NZ return with 960 SC (plus 35k points) for 4.3k AUD or about 4.5 AUD per SC. didnt think it was that bad...

annoying part is most EK operated tasman flights with QF number were zeroed out for I class fare. but flipside i managed to chuck in few domestic sector for free (instead of HKG-syd i fly to BNE and connect onto BNE SYD and vice versa) which I woudnt have done if not for double SC.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:31 am

As above, assume this worked well for QF last year. I hit 3500 SC that year, mainly due to other travel as I am UK based. This was enough to sway me for a quick J (I) class exEU fare back for November this year. Close enough to LTG now that one more of these Double SC offers and I'll make it and then look to credit to AA/BA given where I live now.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Hopefully this is a dumb question...
I booked a couple of particularly complicated itineraries during the promotion period (on the last day with a couple of hours OZ time to go).
They appeared in my QF app and I could select seats etc with a valid PNR too.
As they were booked via an OTA is there anything to worry about in terms of the DSC? I had registered prior and see no reason that they won't be valid flights, but wanted some comfort! afterall, the promotion didn't exclude OTA or other booking routes...
I guess dropping QF an email to confirm would help? Or am i worrying about nothing.

Lastly, I also presume that the Double credits count toward LTS/LTG too?
cheers
dj
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As long as there was a PNR generated within the promotion period you should be fine.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:03 am

just checking - does the double SC awarded count towards the loyalty bonus?

for example say the "raw" SC on the trip is 300SC but it was booked during promotion so earns 600SC in total => does QF award the 50SC of loyalty bonus as i've exceeded the 500 SC threshold? Or for the purpose of loyalty bonus, do I need to gain the 500SC without any double credits?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
just checking - does the double SC awarded count towards the loyalty bonus?

for example say the "raw" SC on the trip is 300SC but it was booked during promotion so earns 600SC in total => does QF award the 50SC of loyalty bonus as i've exceeded the 500 SC threshold? Or for the purpose of loyalty bonus, do I need to gain the 500SC without any double credits?
Yes, it does. Also counts towards the (selected) bonus at 2,700SC.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jase76
Yes, it does. Also counts towards the (selected) bonus at 2,700SC.
thx. pretty generous.

so in an essense one needs to fly just a trip with 550 raw.sc to requalify for platinum. 550 x 2=1100 plus the loyalty bonus
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd
thx. pretty generous.

so in an essense one needs to fly just a trip with 550 raw.sc to requalify for platinum. 550 x 2=1100 plus the loyalty bonus
You need 1,200 to retain WP. Apart from that you are correct. I've taken advantage of the last two times and it has been very beneficial with a J and F flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.