Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I know it's Qantas, but.....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lucky_man
I could extend my daughter's school quite some forgiveness on grammar in exchange for the documents they produce being even remotely comprehensible. I wouldn't bat an eye lid over a 'u' in 'Qantas'. Her only salvation I believe is to have two half literate parents.
I think you mean "documents it produces"
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think you mean "documents it produces"
In British English and in the UK in particular, we treat collective nouns and nouns representing multiple people as plural objects. A school cannot produce documents, only the people in the school can produce the documents.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Calchas
In British English and in the UK in particular, we treat collective nouns and nouns representing multiple people as plural objects. A school cannot produce documents, only the people in the school can produce the documents.
It is still a singlular noun - that some treat it as a plural noun does not make it so

And if the comment was that the "school staff produce documents" , then the plural form would be correct

There are plenty of plural nouns around, but school isn't one of them
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is still a singlular noun - that some treat it as a plural noun does not make it so
Yes it does. Language is beholden to its speakers.

That said I am firmly of the view that "data" is a plural noun.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes it does. Language is beholden to its speakers.
Same with correct punctuation (not yours, but others..)
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Hi all, obviously I got plenty of time on hand. We all know most non Australians spell the airline with an "u" like Quantas. So, I know that's a non Australian habit since ( I think ) we have no word that does not have an "U" attached to the Q. My question is how many Australians have "problems" with
the airline's name. Sure, this will be unscientific but I would love to know being a victim of wrong spelling for decades. Obviously please take this post with tongue in cheek, please.

only an Aumerican would ask such a question.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Hi all, obviously I got plenty of time on hand. We all know most non Australians spell the airline with an "u" like Quantas. So, I know that's a non Australian habit since ( I think ) we have no word that does not have an "U" attached to the Q. My question is how many Australians have "problems" with
the airline's name. Sure, this will be unscientific but I would love to know being a victim of wrong spelling for decades. Obviously please take this post with tongue in cheek, please.
I had that problem when I was in the Qantas lounge in HKIA, the WIFI password was Qantas88 and I couldn't connect because I was typing Quantas88 .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.