Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas. How Did You Mess This Up?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Goal is not to bother QF but to get service consistent with the class of service. Did not bother looking for reimbursement. Even BA, some of the time, is more responsive to its premium passengers.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Not that this is excusable, but I am sure this issue is the result of the baggage handlers at DXB looking at the final destination (instead of the next destination) of the baggage to determine which flight the baggage should be transferred to since that approach works well in almost all other instances. Clearly more training and awareness is needed regarding this particular AKL issue. Unfortunately I am not sure how much direct control Qantas has over baggage handling at DXB (they might outsource this function to Emirates ground staff).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718
Unfortunately I am not sure how much direct control Qantas has over baggage handling at DXB (they might outsource this function to Emirates ground staff).
If the function is outsourced then QF should be smart enough to negotiate contracts of supply which are fit for purpose with appropriate performance standards implicit in the contract! There's no excuse. The outsource model has been around for many years....
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Goal is not to bother QF but to get service consistent with the class of service. Did not bother looking for reimbursement. Even BA, some of the time, is more responsive to its premium passengers.
Baggage handling errors occur - regardless of class of travel

The airline is liable for costs associated with them and would would have paid up if had included the receipts

The airline apologised for what happened, which is all that I would expect regardless of class of service - what did you want the airline to do/give and did you include that information when writing to it
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:15 pm

Unfortunately it's part of travelling. These things happen along with unexpected delays. Instead of getting overly stressed about it. Pick up some clothes. Send the receipts off and start your holiday. No airline does this on purpose, if you think EK had a 100% baggage rate then you're misguided.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SYDSiderFlyer
Instead of getting overly stressed about it.
IMHO the OP doesn't seem to be "overly stressed"...merely seeking guidance and a possible explanation.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: QF Platinum
I agree with Mwenenzi - I suspect that the problem will have been at LHR - the person putting the baggage in a container there has seen AKL on the tag and put it into a container destined to come off at DXB rather than a container going all the way through to SYD.

Then DXB when unloading the container they haven't discovered the upstream error with enough time to get the bag back on QF2.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I wish all airlines had a system like American Airlines where you can go online and know where your bag is at all times. For example, yesterday I flew DCA-MIA-EZE and was able to check on our bags from the lounge while at MIA.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wish all airlines had a system like American Airlines where you can go online and know where your bag is at all times. For example, yesterday I flew DCA-MIA-EZE and was able to check on our bags from the lounge while at MIA.
You mean a system where can easily be waiting 45 minutes for a simple baggage reclaim on a domestic servuce

Bags go astray very infrequently ime and have never really cared about following where the bags are
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Keep that thought when you are on a trip to sub-Antarctic islands and not having your bags will be more than a little inconvenient. And... I have had that experience.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Keep that thought when you are on a trip to sub-Antarctic islands and not having your bags will be more than a little inconvenient. And... I have had that experience.
Interesting you say that. On an Antarctic trip a few years ago, most of us flew on LA SCL-PUQ-MPN to join the ship. It was LA's once a week flight PUQ-MPN and on arrival in MPN one old lady found her bag was off loaded at PUQ. This meant she was without her bag for the 4 week trip to Antarctica. She abandoned her trip because even though the women offered to share their (new) clothes and there was a shop with basic gear on board, she wasn't going without her bag.

So yes, while some have no problems with bags going missing, it is annoying, time consuming and possibly traumatic for others. Been there several times. Worst part is not knowing where the bag is or getting (even a vague) estimate when it may appear again. Do you go out and buy stuff (and where)? Have you got an extra day up your sleeve to do all this? Do you change the itinerary so you might meet up with the bag?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:34 pm

Though don't the US airlines lose more bags than other airlines? Hence this tool being more use in the US than elsewhere?

Or do you just seem to hear about baggage issues in the US more?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Extra days are nice if you have them.

On that trip I went as far as to take a flight so that I had even more time for my bags to make the transfer in Miami... to no available. My family that flew DCA-ORD-HKG-GRU-EZE arrived with their bags and thought it was funny when my bags were a no-show.

As far as what can you do when this happens. For me, I was in Ushuaia, it was New Years Eve, and all stores closed by 6 PM. Many small ships, have little or no on board shops. All you can do is depend on the kindness of others.

A t-shirt is one thing to borrow but three weeks with a collection of ill-fitting garments or... undergarments does make the trip a bit more of a challenge.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think we can all understand that. But if you need to have your bag in Ushuaia, AA's system presumably doesn't soothe the aggravation even though you can see - to the minute - the time at which your bag was offloaded in Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.