Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Upgrading to business

I have a multi city ticket, Sydney > Cairns, Cairns > Uluru, Melbourne > Sydney, all in economy. I'd like to upgrade to business (and pay the difference in cash) but was told that Cairns > Uluru doesn't have business so I can't do it because I have to upgrade all the flights on my ticket rather than individually.

I can't cancel and rebook either because the ticket is non-refundable. My OW miles are with BA so can't use Qantas miles to upgrade.

Do I have any other options at all? I can't think of any but figured I'd check here before giving up.

Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I don't know enough about QF change rules to offer a definitive solution, but my experience of QF economy tickets is that they are cancellable for credit. If that applies to your ticket, might one option be to cancel the existing ticket, use the credit to book SYD-CNS // MEL-SYD in business, and then book a separate CNS-AYQ in economy?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Oh I'll phone and ask - they didn't mention a credit, just said it was non-refundable. They said it would be much more expensive to book the flights individually as they would be one ways rather than a return to Sydney, but I didn't think 3 separate flights in one ticket like this really counted as a 'return' in the proper sense anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to try it out, here's the summary of the fare rules from the QF website at the start of a dummy booking for SYD-MEL using a red e-deal (AUD 145, so a pretty deeply discounted fare):-
Changes
  • Changes before the day of scheduled departure:
    • Your original fare may be used as credit towards a new fare of equal or higher value, provided the new fare conditions are met.
    • For changes made over the phone, you must pay the service fee applicable as at the date of change.
    • At the time of making the change you must pay:
      • the change fee $88 applicable
      • any fare difference between the fare for your new booking and the original fare.
    • Once your booking is made the current change fee and service fee can be viewed anytime at qantas.com/your booking.
    • Your new booking must be for travel anywhere on the Qantas network within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued. However, you cannot re-book and travel on the same day.
    • The original ticket value is non-refundable and remains non-refundable at all times.
  • Changes on the day of scheduled departure:
    • Not permitted. Loss of fare.

Cancellations
  • Before the day of scheduled departure:
    • Re-booking - see 'Change fee' above.
      • Ticket value can be used towards payment for a new booking of equal or higher value for travel anywhere on the Qantas network within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued. However, you cannot re-book and travel on the same day. This credit must be used within 12 months of the date the original ticket was issued.
      • Any credit is the Australian dollar price.
    • No refund.
  • On the day of scheduled departure (including no show):
    • Not permitted. Loss of fare.
  • The original ticket value is non-refundable and remains non-refundable at all times.
One other thing that might be worth exploring, depending on the cost of the additional one-way ticket: If you have BAEC Avios, redeeming them for short flights on QF can be a very good value way of using them. For example, I think that MEL-SYD one-way in business class is something like 9,000 Avios and Ł10.60. So depending on what you've paid for it and whether you can actually flex your ticket in the way that some tickets can be, it could be that it's better value for you to turn the existing ticket into a one-way CNS-AYQ and then redeem Avios for the business class sectors. Playing with the permutations could be an interesting exercise.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I tried finding the specific conditions for my ticket but it's not in the original confirmation email and I can't find it in the manage booking page either. The 'change' button is also inactive, it says to call my local Qantas office.

In your avios scenario you mention, I guess it'd just be a case of losing out on the cost of 2 of the 3 flights?

Just checked and there's no avios departures available for rewards on my dates.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan1113
In your avios scenario you mention, I guess it'd just be a case of losing out on the cost of 2 of the 3 flights?

Just checked and there's no avios departures available for rewards on my dates.
What I was thinking was along these lines (having no idea of the numbers actually involved): If you originally paid $500 for the ticket, you could cancel the ticket and get $500 credit. You'd then use the credit to rebook a new cash ticket for (say) CNS-AYQ alone, and then you'd make two new Avios bookings for SYD-CNS and MEL-SYD. There would be change costs associated with booking the new cash ticket, as well as the Avios costs for the SYD-CNS and MEL-SYD, so you'd have to work out carefully what the best way of doing this actually is.

Is your travel in the near future? Otherwise, I'd be surprised if there is absolutely no award availability even for MEL-SYD on your travel date. That's seldom difficult to get a seat on if you're booking a reasonable way in advance. Although it has to be said that flying that in economy is no hardship; it's basically a short bus ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.