Wiki Posts
Search

MEL-LAX Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

MEL-LAX Baggage Question

Hello!

I will be flying Qantas First from MEL to LAX. I have a ticketed onward connection to my final destination on the east coast. However that segment is in coach and I have reserved a first class on another airline.

My question is.. Qantas will likely check my bags to JFK, but I know I have to pick them up in LAX for customs. Would it be possible to then take that tag off and retag them at LAX on the new airline?

I do not want to cancel the onward coach ticket on the one world airline in case there is a delay, etc and I am forced to take it.

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by abox03
Hello!

I will be flying Qantas First from MEL to LAX. I have a ticketed onward connection to my final destination on the east coast. However that segment is in coach and I have reserved a first class on another airline.

My question is.. Qantas will likely check my bags to JFK, but I know I have to pick them up in LAX for customs. Would it be possible to then take that tag off and retag them at LAX on the new airline?

I do not want to cancel the onward coach ticket on the one world airline in case there is a delay, etc and I am forced to take it.

Thanks
Sure, you can do that. Just remember that if you no-show for the coach flight, the rest of your ticket would be cancelled (important if it includes a return to Australia).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A late cancellation of the onward sector (ie removing the bag tag) may make the airline think you are taking advantage of possible cheaper fares for doing the extra leg.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Skipping LAX-JFK could cause a reprice of the MEL-LAX fare as well as cancellation of any subsequent sectors on that ticket. Presumably the OP doesn't care about that. The only good F LAX-JFK is on AA which happens to be Oneworld

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.