Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Domestic to International Transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:24 am
DS0
Original Poster

I'm returning to the UK from Brisbane in April.

I made one booking (BNE to LHR) through Qantas' website. I have 2 flights;
One from BNE at 1900 hrs arriving at Melbourne at 21.25

My international flight departs at 22.55 hrs.

Please could someone let me know the process of transferring terminals, do I need to pick up my luggage, exit the terminal and go into T2 Internationals and book back in or is there a direct passageway into T2 departure lounge.
Also how long does it take to clear passport control etc...

Many Thanks,

David.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Bags will be checked through

Get off the aeroplane and head out to either the checkin area or arrivals area, walk into the adjacent terminal and go through to departures

Passport control and security generally doesn't take very long - 90 minutes is ample time
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: QF P1,M&M HON,CX DM,AS MVP,Hyatt DM,SPG G
Well, all terminal in MEL are connected, from T1 (Domestic QF) to T2 (International) only need two-minute indoor walk. About customs in MEL, basically all pax (Except F/J/Frequent Flyers) need to use e-passport lane.
Both QF and EK will check your bag to LHR.
Bottom Line: Which flight you are traveling on? QF9 or EK407?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by mel737
basically all pax (Except F/J/Frequent Flyers) need to use e-passport lane.
Actually in my experience, only those requiring assistance can use the manned counter. Express card holders (F/J/Frequent Flyers) and APEC card holders are sternly told to use e-passport lane. Nevertheless it is usually quite quick there, if there is a hold up its likely to be in the security clearance before immigration. But still plenty of time for OP.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: Qantas Gold FF
I do this regularly and have found that the 19:00 flight is too stressful a transfer to QF9. I have had to run all the way from immigration to the furthest gate, whilst being harassed by staff to hurry up!

I usually get the 17:00 flight which leaves loads of time.

Best case you can get to the gate quickly but with a short delay on the BNE flight and a reasonable queue at immigration it can become very stressful very quickly!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:05 am
DS0
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, I'm flying on QF9.
Queff : would you recommend that I seek to change to an alternative flight from BNE, being a UK citizen is the clearance any longer at security.
When you've taken the 1900 flight from BNE how late have you been for the outbound international leg?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DS0
..... being a UK citizen is the clearance any longer at security?
No. Everyone is in the same queue.
With a UK passport you will be able to use Smartgate for Au exit formalities, which many people now can use.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:14 pm

The last 2 times I have transited MEL at that same time (prior to smartgates) the immigration queue was horrendous 45-50 minutes both times.
with the snartgates this should have hopefully alleviated some of the ridiculous queues.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Qantas Gold FF
Originally Posted by DS0
Thanks for your replies, I'm flying on QF9.
Queff : would you recommend that I seek to change to an alternative flight from BNE, being a UK citizen is the clearance any longer at security.
When you've taken the 1900 flight from BNE how late have you been for the outbound international leg?
I've never missed QF9 but have been amongst the last passengers to board after running from immigration, even though I know the shortest route from Domestic to international, so no wandering around! Not a nice way to start a 20+ hour trip!

I will say that the Smart Gates have sped things up and it's up to you, but if you don't mind possibly hanging around Melbourne airport for an extra hour or so, I would change. Have you got lounge access? If so it will be a much more pleasant "hanging around".

Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Actually in my experience, only those requiring assistance can use the manned counter. Express card holders (F/J/Frequent Flyers) and APEC card holders are sternly told to use e-passport lane. Nevertheless it is usually quite quick there, if there is a hold up its likely to be in the security clearance before immigration. But still plenty of time for OP.
At the planned time of arrive queues can be horrendous - even for the smart gate machines.

Last time I came in about this time, due to the heaving masses I used my express card. The staff were informing passenger they should have used the smart-gates but were still processing them manually.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 13, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.