Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting SYD advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Well, that's fine for just lain arrival to SYD (or departure from). But try to do transit DOM->INT or v.v. on separate tickets (which is often the only solutions for *A flyers)...
Other airlines are quite capable of issueing domestic flights on a through ticket. QF and VA have fares that can be combined with international fares. Just did a check and can price up journeys UA-QF / QF-UA for example
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Other airlines are quite capable of issueing domestic flights on a through ticket. QF and VA have fares that can be combined with international fares. Just did a check and can price up journeys UA-QF / QF-UA for example
Oh yes, Dave has always answers, doesn't he? Did you try to add HBA-MEL return to LH stock MEL-SIN-FRA-BSL return in business class? Last time I tried, the ticket went A$2,500 up from original A$5,500!!!

And you missed the point. This thread is a discussion about SYD connection challenges, not about buying through tickets...

Last edited by vbroucek; Apr 17, 2017 at 2:49 am
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Oh yes, Dave has always answers, doesn't he? Did you try to add HBA-MEL return to LH stock MEL-SIN-FRA-BSL return in business class? Last time I tried, the ticket went A$2,500 up from original A$5,500!!!

And you missed the point. This thread is a discussion about SYD connection challenges, not about buying through tickets...
I didn't miss the point - you stated that buying separate tickets is the only solution for Star Alliance passengers

I just priced up on ITA, HBA-BSL return quite successfully , with a mix of QF and Austrian

With a through ticket, then there is no issue using the free transfer and getting bags checked through
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
OK - now, how about if you have M&M award ticket ex SYD (no chance to have award ex HBA)... My point still stands - SYD is nightmare to transfer on two tickets and that is the subject of the thread.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With a through ticket, then there is no issue using the free transfer and getting bags checked through
Getting access to the free transfer is one thing. Using it is another.

Last experience with the Int to Dom bus . "It comes every 10min"... 20min later it arrives. 30min of bumper to bumper crawl. So was pretty much an hour from waiting for a bus to getting to the lounge.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Last experience with the Int to Dom bus . "It comes every 10min"... 20min later it arrives. 30min of bumper to bumper crawl. So was pretty much an hour from waiting for a bus to getting to the lounge.
This is exactly why, if everything else is even, I'll take Qantas over Virgin any time. The fact their bus runs airside rather than landside means that it generally avoids traffic (of the car type, at least), and means it is more likely to be ontime than the Virgin bus that runs on public roads.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:39 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by docbert
This is exactly why, if everything else is even, I'll take Qantas over Virgin any time. The fact their bus runs airside rather than landside means that it generally avoids traffic (of the car type, at least), and means it is more likely to be ontime than the Virgin bus that runs on public roads.
When I was at SYD last month there was a Virgin bus in front of our Qantas bus and went airside all the way from the international terminal to the domestic one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.