Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX TBIT Qantas F lounge tipping?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
LAX TBIT Qantas F lounge tipping?

I've been in this lounge once before and I was wondering for the table service, no tips are expected right?

I would think in an international F lounge, tipping shouldn't even be accepted right?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I've been in this lounge once before and I was wondering for the table service, no tips are expected right?

I would think in an international F lounge, tipping shouldn't even be accepted right?
There are two lounges at TBIT that would likely fall under the same rubric - Qantas First and oneworld Busines (operated by Qantas). Tips are not expected, either in premium lounges or in the Australian Qantas business culture. If a visitor chooses to tip because of extraordinary service, I suspect the employee would be happy to accept the gratuity.

As to "should" or "shouldn't be accepted", the best person to ask would be the lounge manager.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:55 pm

On a recent visit with my family of four, which includes two picky little girls, we received exception service and therefore I left a substantial tip on the table.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:33 pm

I would never tip in any F lounge anywhere. Keep in mind that tipping is a very US thing and in some parts of this world getting a tip could be seen as an insult.
Many F lounges constantly provide exceptional and excellent service.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Qantas Representative
Tipping is a personal preference, however not mandatory in the lounge. The service is part of the premium experience.
Tipping problem in LAX TBIT Lounge [is back] | Australian Frequent Flyer

Advice has been that staff in these lounges are paid a higher rate than normal due to the gratuity free status of their employment.

If a staff member fishes for tips in these lounges they can be disciplined
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The services that you receive in this lounge are an extension of the services that you receive on board (notice that there are no point of sale computers to accept any sort of payment). You wouldn't tip the cabin attendant on board, so there is no need to tip here.

It can sometimes feel uncomfortable not leaving a tip, especially in a culture that seems to feel that a tip is warranted for everything these days. But in this case it's totally unnecessary as the lounge staff are compensated appropriately.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Good to know. Do not tip in QF F lounge LAX.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As the F lounge at TBIT is a Qantas lounge, not an AA lounge, I will shift this thread to the Qantas forum for discussion.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:37 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
When we departed LAX in F we had a private suite reserved in the lounge. The waiter was delightful. A family member decided to go shopping and when she realised the food would get cold, she took away the hot items, waited for her to return and then brought in new orders.

For this I left a substantial tip, even though I am aware it is frowned upon. The waiter politely declined but I insisted.

I also wrote a note to the lounge manger and didn't get a response, so it only reinforced my view to tip directly.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:17 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
(Slightly OT from the LAX lounges). Not only does Australia have a "no tip" culture, the basic / minimum wage is set to be a "living wage" where "top ups" are not needed to survive. Now you might think otherwise when confronted with a credit card voucher or machine that has a "tips" line, or with a "tips tin" on the counter of shop, but still, Oz minimum wages are set by law and do not assume tip top-ups.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I know your in LAX, but Australian culture doesn't usually go in for tips.

Although if there is a concentration of yanks anywhere we'll gladly give people the option (like in Sydney around Circular Quay).
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I've heard that foreigners tip very well here because they usually have a lot of excess cash on them and they probably got used to tipping all restaurants.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I tip here, as the only lounge i have ever done so, as the service is really exceptional. I have spoken with both the main lounge manager and his assistant and gave feedback that way so his best employees can be recognised.

When I asked one of the employees on my subsequent visit about whether they get recognised, he said each time someone writes to the manager and mentions anyone by name they get $20 or $50 gift card.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:03 pm

I usually tip the guys at the lounge, one big reason is the pay they receive is not very good. I know people on the inside, and they tell me upper management doesn't treat them very well. I hear they usually make about $12.00 per hour there. Also they don't work for a airline directly so no flyer benefits.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by brabb12
I usually tip the guys at the lounge, one big reason is the pay they receive is not very good. I know people on the inside, and they tell me upper management doesn't treat them very well. I hear they usually make about $12.00 per hour there. Also they don't work for a airline directly so no flyer benefits.
This is contrary to the contractual arrangements that Qantas have with their service provider. Either those people are lying to you or the service provider is lying to Qantas.

Note that even if they are on $20 per hour, service staff can often make far more with tips and the minimum (service) rate.

Irrespective, I will not tip in this lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.