Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Some JL award seats available to BA members but not to QF members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

From what I understood (correct me if I am wrong) QF award search does not show JL flights, so I went to BA website and found a redemption seat on JL there on a specific date, but QF classic award search did not show it (which was what I was expecting anyway).

As I have more QF points than BA Avios that I do not mind spending, I called QF to book it and was told that the flight had no availability on JL (or QF for that matter). I could still see the seat being available on BA website. The QF agent said JL flights now showed up on QF award search and she could only book it if it was showing on their website.

Do some OW airlines have specific agreement with another airline to have extra availability now?

And does the QF website show JL availability now?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:45 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I know CX has a lot of phantom availability but I don't know whether this applies to JL.

Did you proceed with the JL award, could you get to the payment screen?

QF only restrict their own awards by status.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:10 am
Original Poster

The flights booked fine through my BA account and so they were definitely not phantom availability (completed the booking without any issues). I have never seen phantom availability on JL, in fact.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
JAL does not bias any availability to partners. The "phantom" availability is probably an issue with the BA/QF website using cached data.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777Cat3b
JAL does not bias any availability to partners. The "phantom" availability is probably an issue with the BA/QF website using cached data.
It was not a phantom - it booked fine without any issues on BA website.

QF website did not show any availability but I am not even sure if the issue of QF website showing JL availability has been resolved.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The QF agent said JL flights now showed up on QF award search
The Agent was wrong.

And does the QF website show JL availability now?
QF website does not support JL flights.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
QF website does not support JL flights.
I thought as much. Thank you for your confirmation.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I thought as much. Thank you for your confirmation.
The knowledge of some of the call Centre staff now is sadly lacking. I'm reasonable certain it's pure luck if you actually get a Premium trained agent. The staff answer "Premium" from a script dependent on QFF number entered.
I had one put me on hold to check if my DXB-SYD EK J sector was eligible for chauffeur drive as it wasn't showing on the Manage My Booking screen.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Booking JL flights over the phone can be a mixed bag. I think they are required to do it through a different window/system than normal due to JL's systems not linking up with the normal award booking engine they use. And it would appear your agent didn't know this cause they thought they should show online. I have had the exact same scenario of 'no availability' on the phone when it was showing on the BA site. I politely pushed for the, to ask a supervisor who showed them how to do it. Then when I asked for the booking fee to be waived because JL flights weren't available online she didn't believe me. Did a search herself and then waived it for me. Just an uneducated agent by the sound of it.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelislife
Booking JL flights over the phone can be a mixed bag. I think they are required to do it through a different window/system than normal due to JL's systems not linking up with the normal award booking engine they use. And it would appear your agent didn't know this cause they thought they should show online. I have had the exact same scenario of 'no availability' on the phone when it was showing on the BA site. I politely pushed for the, to ask a supervisor who showed them how to do it. Then when I asked for the booking fee to be waived because JL flights weren't available online she didn't believe me. Did a search herself and then waived it for me. Just an uneducated agent by the sound of it.
Thanks, that fits exactly with what I experienced - and this was what I had done in the past too.

In my latest case she was pretty adamant and talked down to me as if I had no idea what I was talking about when I said I believed I would not see JL availability online and got quite shirty with me when I politely asked if she could look on an alternative system.

As it was the only seat left I decided to book using my BA points as I was worried it might disappear.

Sadly there are some poor agents with QF as well as decent ones... as with all airlines I guess!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.