Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Does Qantas owe compensation for this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Qantas owe compensation for this?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I would like to add one more data point: Qantas had a flight that departed 1.5 hours after I landed from AKL. I found out about this around the same time as I found out about the delay (as I was checking my options).

When I got to the help desk, say 1hr 10 minutes after landing, the guy was adamant that I was NOT going to have enough time to make that flight !
QF only have one non-stop flight to SFO so any other QF flights would have been to LAX or DFW not SFO. If this flight departed 1.5 hours after you landed and you only found out about it 1hr 10 mins after landing it would have been 20 mins prior to departure so the flight would have been closed for checkin even if you had HLO.

IIRC QF only send out alerts to Australian phone numbers so even if your US based T-Mobile number was in the booking you woudn't have been notified and even if you were I doubt the end result would have been much different.

In a disrupt situation an airline simply doesn't have the time to tailor individual alternative itineraries to 300 plus pax particularly when you are still arriving the same day hence you remaining on the SYD/SFO flight. It's quite possible that they had pax with oncarriage ex SFO to reaccommodate.

it's likely you were looked after better than what you would have been had you flown on a US carrier.

Last edited by ozflygirl747; Oct 14, 2016 at 7:11 am Reason: clarity
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AADV
Why not AA to AKL

Hi,

Just curious, why did you pick to fly sfo-syd-akl-syd-sfo when AA has a LAX-AKL non-stop? It's a way longer trip via SYD and both AA/QF give FFP benefits.

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by luisv
Hi,

Just curious, why did you pick to fly sfo-syd-akl-syd-sfo when AA has a LAX-AKL non-stop? It's a way longer trip via SYD and both AA/QF give FFP benefits.

Thanks!
Simple. I earned something like 24-25K Alaska miles with MVP bonus
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
QF only have one non-stop flight to SFO so any other QF flights would have been to LAX or DFW not SFO. If this flight departed 1.5 hours after you landed and you only found out about it 1hr 10 mins after landing it would have been 20 mins prior to departure so the flight would have been closed for checkin even if you had HLO.

IIRC QF only send out alerts to Australian phone numbers so even if your US based T-Mobile number was in the booking you woudn't have been notified and even if you were I doubt the end result would have been much different.

In a disrupt situation an airline simply doesn't have the time to tailor individual alternative itineraries to 300 plus pax particularly when you are still arriving the same day hence you remaining on the SYD/SFO flight. It's quite possible that they had pax with oncarriage ex SFO to reaccommodate.

it's likely you were looked after better than what you would have been had you flown on a US carrier.
I'm very well aware that the other option was taking the A380 to LAX I never said it was to SFO. They could have put us on a LAXSFO flight.

And yes I understand by the time I found out about the SYD-LAX flight they couldn't put me on it. But if I found out about the 8 hour delay when it occurred (when I departed AKL) ..... It would have been simple.

I'm not saying they looked after us terribly, but I could have sat there in the lounge area for the entire five hour layover completely aloof to what was going on and Qantas would have never reached out in any way (so it seems). due to their negligence I was stranded there for 13 hours
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
It's possible for texts to go missing for international carriers. I have never had a message for delays outside of Australia and take ownership for checking when and where my flights are leaving.

But for Qantas to give you a day room is great customer service. Try getting that in other parts of the world.

Planes break down, connections are misssed, it's all part of being a traveller. At the end of the day, you got on a plane and went home and they tried to make your delay as comfortable as possible. You either deal with this sort of stuff or stay at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.