Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

OW Sapphire baggage allowance policy in Domestic flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW Sapphire baggage allowance policy in Domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
So the $64K question is how the third paragraph above is interpreted (my bolding). I added in the red "or domestic" bit as I believe this is how it should read as presently there is no scenario to cover a OWS member travelling on a wholly domestic QF flight that already includes one piece of luggage.
Seems quite eay to interpret

The actual line is

On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*, weighing up to 23 kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.

Note the asterisk

The asterisk is the explained with the

* On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of at least one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.

This reads , pretty unambiguously to me, that there is no additional allowance over 1 piece

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 26, 2016 at 12:14 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Seems quite eay to interpret

The actual line is

On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*, weighing up to 23 kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.

Note the asterisk

The asterisk is the explained with the

* On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of at least one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.

This reads , pretty unambiguously to me, that there is no additional allowance over 1 piece
This is where it gets very tricky I feel (probably just bad drafting due to the contradictory webpages)

But how you should read it in my opinion is as follows:-

"On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*"

Interpretation: By default you get one extra piece.

However, they put an exception represented by the *
"*On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, with no ticketed baggage entitlement"

Interpretation: there lies an exception if your itinerary is (i) Purely domestic AND (ii) using piece system AND (iii) no ticketed baggage entitlement

Clearly, OP's ticket did not sit within the exception (because he had a ticketed baggage allowance) - exception should not apply based on his facts

Therefore, the reading of the text should just default to its plain initial reading...
ButFli and Tyrolean like this.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ermen
This is where it gets very tricky I feel (probably just bad drafting due to the contradictory webpages)

But how you should read it in my opinion is as follows:-

"On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*"

Interpretation: By default you get one extra piece.

However, they put an exception represented by the *
"*On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, with no ticketed baggage entitlement"

Interpretation: there lies an exception if your itinerary is (i) Purely domestic AND (ii) using piece system AND (iii) no ticketed baggage entitlement

Clearly, OP's ticket did not sit within the exception (because he had a ticketed baggage allowance) - exception should not apply based on his facts

Therefore, the reading of the text should just default to its plain initial reading...

Agree with you. To me it reads as if the exception does not apply ... .if the intent is only to allow an additional one piece on domestic itineraries without a ticketed baggage allowance, it should be worded something like:

In purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, no additional baggage permitted, unless there is no ticketed baggage entitlement, in which case there is the assurance of at least one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH (Silver), IB Plus (Gold)
Thanks guys for your comments.
I came to the conclusion that the rules should be written in a better way at OW website for everyone to understand the same thing. After taking 9 domestic flights in Australia with one checked baggage allowance according to my fare ticket, I had to struggle in every single desk counter to let QF supervisors know about what it was said in OW sapphire website. They were very understanding but in one occasion (Ayers Rock) they obliged me to pay $40. Not the rest of the airports I visited. I must admit there is a whole confusion about this matter throughout QF staff.

Today I received this email from qantas customer service arguing that I was right, OW SAPPHIRE is entitled to have an extra bag even in pure domestic flights. I quote the email for you to check, just in case anyone has to face the same problem.

Qantas Customer Care -Ref No: 2016/XXX219 hoy, 7:44 Ref. No: 2016/XX219

Dear Mr XXX, Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I am sorry for the inconvenience when you were initially told you could only check one bag in, and for the time it took to resolve the issue.

Referring to this link: http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges, I can confirm that Sapphire members are permitted to receive an extra piece of luggage when flying Qantas on tickets that have the piece rule (see link for further details eg weight restrictions).

I do hope that you do not encounter the same issue on your future flights with us.

Thank you again for your time and efforts.

If you have further feedback relating to 2016/XXX219, please click here. Yours sincerely Jessica Customer Care Executive www.gantas.com �QANTAS Note
Tyrolean likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:40 am

Adding my view into the mix.
On QF website: https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...mestic-flights

It says for economy, QFF Gold (assume same for ow Sapphire and Skywards Gold) gets an extra piece (both up to 32kg each). But in business no extra piece.

Am I reading this correctly or is this a typo?! Seems rather unreasonable to allow Y passengers the extra weight/piece and J rather nothing.

From EK side, they state 16kg extra allowance on QF flights (without mention to extra pieces).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Adding my view into the mix.
On QF website: https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...mestic-flights

It says for economy, QFF Gold (assume same for ow Sapphire and Skywards Gold) gets an extra piece (both up to 32kg each). But in business no extra piece.

Am I reading this correctly or is this a typo?! Seems rather unreasonable to allow Y passengers the extra weight/piece and J rather nothing.

From EK side, they state 16kg extra allowance on QF flights (without mention to extra pieces).
This is quite in line with OW benefits ( and slightly more generous than required ) and is correct.

From https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance and https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Originally Posted by OneWorld
Sapphire gets 1 extra piece up to a maximum of 2 pieces. Since a sapphire member in business class already gets 2 pieces, there is no more to add

For an Emerald member, there is 1 extra piece regardless and this is reflected in the QF allowances where an Platinum member in business class gets a total of 3 pieces

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 31, 2017 at 3:59 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Bumping this up again. Exactly the same situation happened to my partner. I'm OWE, she is OWS (both with BA), Qantas at MEL check-in refused to recognise her status for an additional piece.

Eventually relented because we were flying to organise her father's funeral at CBR and are in Australia for an extended time as a result (we brought four cases, but flew over on SQ). Still, the check in staff said complain to Qantas Customer Care, because they are fed up with the system not recognising what customers present to them.

It's pathetic really.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Bumping this up again. Exactly the same situation happened to my partner. I'm OWE, she is OWS (both with BA), Qantas at MEL check-in refused to recognise her status for an additional piece.

Eventually relented because we were flying to organise her father's funeral at CBR and are in Australia for an extended time as a result (we brought four cases, but flew over on SQ). Still, the check in staff said complain to Qantas Customer Care, because they are fed up with the system not recognising what customers present to them.

It's pathetic really.
What was the class of travel and what was the number of pieces that was said to be permitted?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What was the class of travel and what was the number of pieces that was said to be permitted?
Economy, ticket said one each. No question of me getting a second as OWE, but not her as OWS.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Economy, ticket said one each. No question of me getting a second as OWE, but not her as OWS.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention - the wording on the OneWorld site has been changed and clarified (some time between April and July this year). As stated upthread, they used to only 'guarantee' one checked bag. The OW site used to say (as of 29 April 2017):
" As a Sapphire frequent flyer the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
... On international itineraries (including domestic sectors flown as part of international itineraries) using the baggage allowance "piece" system, you will receive a second bag, weighing up to 23 kgs, when the ticketed allowance is one bag.
On domestic itineraries only with flights using the baggage allowance "piece" system, you are guaranteed at least one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs, even when the regular ticketed allowance has no free allowance [with caveat for BA hand baggage only fares]"

https://web.archive.org/web/20170209...gage-allowance

It now clearly states that OWS get an additional bag on domestic itineraries using the piece system with 1 standard bag included.

" As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines;
... On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "piece" system - one additional bag*, weighing up to 23 kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs. "

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

This is obviously great news for OWS. (Your experience suggests the Qantas system hasn't been updated yet and I suspect other OW airlines will probably be the same).
libertyuk likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:37 pm

Qantas has since apologised for the error, so has effectively admitted its system hasn't been updated.
serfty and deeruck like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:00 am

and has today, aggressively, insisted that what I printed out from the OneWorld website "didn't include the exception at the bottom" (which doesn't exist) and said the QF website clearly states OneWorld baggage rules (which it doesn't). I asked to be shown the website and was shown a staff manual, I said this is ridiculous, pointed out what had been printed off, and was told "pay or you don't fly". There were strong insinuations that I was lying and "Qantas Frequent Flyers get a raw deal from other One World airlines", so Qantas was just repeating the same.

So we paid and then in the lounge was told "oh you were right, they shouldn't have charged you".

Utterly absurd.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, IC Plat Elt, Hilton Diamond, QF silver
Ok, Im, new to this in relation to One world baggage allowances. Im flying as a one world sapphire (BA silver) HKG to SYD with Qantas in economy next week. Ive logged into the manage my booking page on Qantas and it indicates my Sapphire status but only shows an allowance of 30kg.

Am I entitled to an additional 15kg on top of the 30kg? as I'm presuming the flight uses the weight not piece system?

many thanks

Luke
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: QF
and has today, aggressively, insisted that what I printed out from the OneWorld website "didn't include the exception at the bottom" (which doesn't exist) and said the QF website clearly states OneWorld baggage rules (which it doesn't).

I asked to be shown the website and was shown a staff manual, I said this is ridiculous, pointed out what had been printed off, and was told "pay or you don't fly". There were strong insinuations that I was lying and "Qantas Frequent Flyers get a raw deal from other One World airlines", so Qantas was just repeating the same.

So we paid and then in the lounge was told "oh you were right, they shouldn't have charged you".

Utterly absurd.
Hope when they update the system to reflect the correct OWS allowance ie 2 pieces they also program it to print "priority" on the thermal bag tags in line with the OW rules as currently that doesn't happen.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
Hope when they update the system to reflect the correct OWS allowance ie 2 pieces they also program it to print "priority" on the thermal bag tags in line with the OW rules as currently that doesn't happen.
Wishful thinking that that will make a difference to bag handling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.