Search

QF Platinum -worth anything

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
QF Platinum -worth anything

Hi ...For several years since I lived in Australia I have held gold status on QF mainly by taking a few trips domestically when back on business and some business sectors on OW carriers.I never used the points I have, 300k ish, for anything more than a few domestic upgrades. QF is not my primary carrier and I don't follow the program much ,a couple of months ago passed the Plat level due to work schedule changes but don't think I will make the Plat 1 grade
I am US based and have high status on UA.The only value I see as a member of this program feels like international access to OW lounges,points seem pretty worthless, am I missing something that Platinum will deliver, is it best to flip to another OW program with better benefits ?
Any advice ?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You get access to oneworld lounges domestically in the US as well, AA flagship lounges with Oneworld Emerald status that comes with QF platinum.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The higher your status the more access to premium rewards seats.

As a WP I see surprisingly greater availability than my PS SWMBO or searching with my AAdvantage account.

The worst issue with QFF awards is the YQ, effectively a co-pay.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
You get access to oneworld lounges domestically in the US as well, AA flagship lounges with Oneworld Emerald status that comes with QF platinum.
The equivalent AA status will not get access to AA lounges on USA domestric trips.

It is time to use those QF points. Can be used on QF , AA and other Oneworld airlines subject the QF ffp t&c's. They will not increase in value over time.

What benefits are you after or could use? AA SWU's are valuable

Have a look here, in particular post 330. Several QF vs other ffp linked threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:38 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Better availability of award seats works for me - even with the co-pay fuel levy price gouge scam rip-off.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:39 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The most important WP benefit is being able to request the release of award seats, IMHO.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:32 pm

QF Platinum is useful if you personally value one or more of the following:

- Accessing AA lounges in cases where AAdvantage does not endow access (as others have described above)
- Being able to request a reward seat released by phoning customer service (but with no guarantee of such)
- Priority commensurate with status when requesting upgrades
- Potential for an operational upgrade when flying Emirates (although there is a rumour this to be discontinued)
- Access to Premium customer service phone line (avoiding lengthy phone queues and accessing agents who have a pretty good idea)
- Potential for additional award seats being available to higher status members (although I'm not personally convinced this applies regularly for premium travel)
- Double dip by earning points through business program (Aquire)
- Occasional status credit bonus offers enabling an accelerated route to attain / retain status level

Not specific to Platinum...the QF program offers the following differentiators:

- Using points for rewards on Emirates (noting very high fuel surcharges and assuming you have no JAL or Emirates points)
- Using points for shortish distance rewards (QF points required can be less than say AA for shorter trips in the US, for example)
- Using points for OneWorld redemptions where QF does not try to levy an exorbitant fuel surcharge (e.g. some AA and CX sectors)
- Accessing reward space on QF before that space is available on AAdvantage
- Easy to accrue status on US travel at low cost on discount business / first fares on AA (although four QF flights per year required)
- Opportunity to attain Life Time Gold status after 14,000 status credits accrued
- Various points accrual methods (Australian credit card bonus and earn, points wine purchases (Epiqure), bonus points or flight gift vouchers, etc)

On the flipside....the QF program is lumbered with:

- Generally very high fuel surcharges (e.g. around $1300 on a SYD-LHR first class return)
- High numbers of points required for a reward (excepting some shorter sectors), making other programs such as Advantage much more attractive
- Limited ability to purchase points

Many find the cost-benefit of QF does not come close to matching the alternatives. Others value one or more of the differentiating benefits listed above, be they associated with Platinum itself or more generally with the QF program.

It's a personal choice!

The answer is often in a mixed strategy...

Last edited by Platy; Sep 1, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Platy
<snip>
Many find the cost-benefit of QF does not come close to matching the alternatives. Others value one or more of the differentiating benefits listed above, be they associated with Platinum itself or more generally with the QF program.

It's a personal choice!

A very good summary.
With QF it was relatively easy to get status from QF and non QF flights compared to other Oneworld airlines. With the QF changes to status earning is now not so easy.

For award flights earn to burn and cash co payments is what matters. QF fails on that measure.

AA have EY as non alliance partner. But EY does not have as many destinations as EK has.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent posting Platy (#7). Nice job indeed.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
To rduer one of the biggest benefits as mentioned by everyone is being able to request a release of award seats. But just to clarify, this is on QF metal (I don't know if it applies to EK also). So if you're not going to be redeeming on QF since you live in the USA, this won't apply to you.

Last edited by sxc; Sep 1, 2016 at 8:41 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by og
Excellent posting Platy (#7). Nice job indeed.
Thanks, og, and Mwenenzi...
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by Platy

- Accessing AA lounges in cases where AAdvantage does not endow access (as others have described above)
- Being able to request a reward seat released by phoning customer service (but with no guarantee of such)
- Priority commensurate with status when requesting upgrades
- Potential for an operational upgrade when flying Emirates (although there is a rumour this to be discontinued)
- Access to Premium customer service phone line (avoiding lengthy phone queues and accessing agents who have a pretty good idea)
- Potential for additional award seats being available to higher status members (although I'm not personally convinced this applies regularly for premium travel)
- Double dip by earning points through business program (Aquire)
- Occasional status credit bonus offers enabling an accelerated route to attain / retain status level

Not specific to Platinum...the QF program offers the following differentiators:

- Using points for rewards on Emirates (noting very high fuel surcharges and assuming you have no JAL or Emirates points)
- Using points for shortish distance rewards (QF points required can be less than say AA for shorter trips in the US, for example)
- Using points for OneWorld redemptions where QF does not try to levy an exorbitant fuel surcharge (e.g. some AA and CX sectors)
- Accessing reward space on QF before that space is available on AAdvantage
- Easy to accrue status on US travel at low cost on discount business / first fares on AA (although four QF flights per year required)
- Opportunity to attain Life Time Gold status after 14,000 status credits accrued
- Various points accrual methods (Australian credit card bonus and earn, points wine purchases (Epiqure), bonus points or flight gift vouchers, etc)

On the flipside....the QF program is lumbered with:

- Generally very high fuel surcharges (e.g. around $1300 on a SYD-LHR first class return)
- High numbers of points required for a reward (excepting some shorter sectors), making other programs such as Advantage much more attractive
- Limited ability to purchase points

It's a personal choice!

Much appreciated, I typically don't fly AA much unless UA IRROPS or mucks up and flips me in the US, I typically earn my QF status on 10-14 sectors per year in Australia and on CX/JAL inter Asia business, I have tried on occasion to use points on AA but the availability on the website is hopeless. Being mostly outside Australia (not sure what it is like in there) trying to get through to customer service as a gold flyer is probably more effective using a carrier pigeon -it is pitiful.Maybe I will have better success with a Plat number but feel like it is probably best to find an alternative OW carrier.
Great response-very helpful

Last edited by rduer; Sep 2, 2016 at 12:16 am
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:03 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rduer
Being mostly outside Australia (not sure what it is like in there) trying to get through to customer service as a gold flyer is probably more effective using a carrier pigeon -it is pitiful.
As an ordinary WP in Oz, I have had no issues or delays accessing a QF call centre human on the phone. A minute or two delay is all I have faced.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by rduer
I have tried on occasion to use points on AA but the availability on the website is hopeless.
When using the QF website....I guess you have ticked the "Show Classic Award Cities" box when using the QF booking interface to research award flight? This reveals a more extensive listing of airports.

I assume you know to use various websites to research availability on various OW airlines, notably ba.com in addition to QF and AA?

QF Platinums get to use the premium booking line here in Australia - as per og's response, answer times are rapid.

Gold members and others can wait ages (maybe > 30 minutes) to access the call centre, but there is a callback facility.

PS. I think from East coast US I'd be planning an Italian holiday using my QF points on Emirates first class JFK-MXP !
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The US call center also prioritizes for WP and it is rarely >1 min wait. Didn't realize non-WP was sooooo bad The FL and AC lounge access (plus flagship dining in AC and premium drink vouchers) is a good WP benefit over EXP.

As for UA, they irrop'ed me over a decade ago and lost a million+ revenue as a consequence. Always flew UA instead of AA up until then, now AA/Oneworld has my business. Of course UA now is totally different from then, but they are still in the penalty box for my purposes. I do fly LH quite a bit, but avoid UA methodically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.