Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF1 at Dubai, time to clear security, possible ‘missed connection’ situation question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF1 at Dubai, time to clear security, possible ‘missed connection’ situation question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Seems like you really should have been going via MEL and doing the QF9/QF1 combination - arriving into DXB ~7am and departing ~3am; there's a nice 20 hour or so transit.

Even better is that with many economy revenue fares (not N, Q, O or X) with an transit of over 8 hours, they'll put you up in a Hotel and provide F&B.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...nect/global/en
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike777
In mid March next year I fly from Christchurch to Sydney on QF138 and then on to LHR on QF1. The connection in Sydney should be absolutely fine - I have about seven hours to wander around the transit area at Sydney. This suits me fine, as I am one of those people who like getting to the airport with hours and hours to spare!
Originally Posted by serfty
Seems like you really should have been going via MEL and doing the QF9/QF1 combination - arriving into DXB ~7am and departing ~3am; there's a nice 20 hour or so transit
From CHC options on QF are very limited. QF do not have a CHC MEL flight, but are (re)starting a flight in Dec 2016.
When booking from New Zealand Air Sydney (sometimes know as as Qantas:- the Australian airline) will almost always funnel you through Sydney, even if there are other options.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
If there is a long queue walk a little further down the concourse and you may find a shower with no queue!

Also worth noting is that you will likely be screened AGAIN when you go back to the gate and any liquids you've bought in the airport likely confiscated, so don't buy a huge drink!

There are toilets and drinking fountains in the gate area.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for those tips! Even a three minute 'US submarine' shower would be good.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
[QUOTE=serfty;27109331]Seems like you really should have been going via MEL and doing the QF9/QF1 combination - arriving into DXB ~7am and departing ~3am; there's a nice 20 hour or so transit.

Thanks, that may have been a better option. Other times I have got flights from Auckland which have been good deals even when factoring in paying for CHC-AKL-CHC separately. I chose Qantas from CHC as I have always had a good experience flying with Qantas, and at the time I did my booking Qantas was a much cheaper option than Emirates or Singapore Airlines. Plus with Singapore Airlines flight times I would have had a five hour transit in Singapore at a time when I would have been fast asleep in NZ!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by mike777
If there is a long queue walk a little further down the concourse and you may find a shower with no queue!

Also worth noting is that you will likely be screened AGAIN when you go back to the gate and any liquids you've bought in the airport likely confiscated, so don't buy a huge drink!

There are toilets and drinking fountains in the gate area.
Thanks for those tips! Even a three minute 'US submarine' shower would be good.[/QUOTE]

I've managed to actually use the Maharabah paid lounge at Dubai during a Qantas transit. Its not great and they make you pay separately for the showers. I used my Priority Pass card on the outbound but just paid for the shower on the inbound. The benefit of this one over the free showers is that you don't have to bring a towel and they give you an amenity kit with stuff in. On the downside, it's a small room to shower in and it gets so hot in there I come out sweatier than when I went in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.