QF LAN and QR

Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
QF LAN and QR

Just confusing myself over lounge access. I notice LAN has better accrual rates to QR than QF so if I buy LAN AKL-SYD route and want to accrue to QR, can I still access a QF lounge? or only if bought via the QF website?

I thought a QF ticket number would then accrue to QR at QF rates even if flying LAN - or would they go by the operating carrier?

Operating carrier would be LAN either way. Have zero status on LAN or QR
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If booked in business or 1st class, since LA is a OW carrier, you could use the Qantas lounge

How credit to QR works would be best asked in the QR forum, though would expect that QR works the same as various other OW schemes in that the flight number determines how credit is earned
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
OP shows WP status which means F lounge access when flying Y on LAN, doesn't matter what FF number is on the BP. Pretty clear and simple rules for QF lounge access, just have to be flying Oneworld, hopefully that clears up the confusion. Doesn't matter who issues ticket or where FF points are credited.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How credit to QR works would be best asked in the QR forum, though would expect that QR works the same as various other OW schemes in that the flight number determines how credit is earned
I figured the QR forum would be better for that so will ask later.

Originally Posted by number_6
OP shows WP status which means F lounge access when flying Y on LAN, doesn't matter what FF number is on the BP. Pretty clear and simple rules for QF lounge access, just have to be flying Oneworld, hopefully that clears up the confusion. Doesn't matter who issues ticket or where FF points are credited.
Cheers for this. Am aiming to have my QR FF# on the BP. But yes was angling for access with QF status flying Y.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas have a rule that a QFF elite accessing QF operated lounges using Qantas status before QF/Jetstar/EK flights that the elite need to be crediting the travel to Qantas Frequent Flyer.

Since you are on LA then that might not apply.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 15, 2016 at 3:38 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Is this a new rule? In the past I've often used QF lounges on QF flights without having QFF credit for that flight. Definitely dozens of times and never recall any issue. But not in the past year, QF is good at introducing bizarre rules.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Slightt off topic
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
..I notice LAN has better accrual rates to QR than QF so if I buy LAN AKL-SYD route and want to accrue to QR....
<snip>
Operating carrier would be LAN either way. Have zero status on LAN or QR
On the flip side what is the redeem rate? What will you do with these QR points? A very simplistic measure is how many flights on one route to get that same flight as an award.

In Oneworld the marketing carrier (flight number) determines earning, if an ellgable flight

From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html wiki
Qatar Privilege 3 years (hard) Q miles are valid for a minimum period of 3 years & will expire twice a year. Refer to link. Qmiles doesn't expire for Platinum members
Having multiple ffps with low balances is never a good idea. You never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. FFPs are for the long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 17, 2016 at 3:52 pm Reason: added OW marketing ..
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Qantas have a rule that a QFF elite accessing QF operated lounges using Qantas status before QF/Jetstar/EK flights that the elite need to be crediting the travel to Qantas Frequent Flyer.

Are you able to share whether this "rule" is a written one and publicly advised on the QF web site?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty

Never a problem getting QF lounge access with my WP card when flying JQ between Oz cities on their most basic fare are therefore not crediting to anyone. However, the JQ reservation does have my QF FF number and the BP (I think) acknowledges this.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy
Are you able to share whether this "rule" is a written one and publicly advised on the QF web site?
It is not a rule and have been explicitly informed by Qantas that such a rule does not exist

Holding QF status is all that is required to use Qantas Lounges

Accessing EK lounges should also not have this issue, but in the past have seen this issue with accessing EK lounges before EK flights
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Some posters on AFF had this experience, I can't find the thread now though. I'm not sure if it was a local front desk interpretation or one of those internal memos that QF sometimes send around... I guess YMMV
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Platy
It is specified in the lounge access criteria for the Auckland Qantas International First lounge page (and in similar specific pages for other lounges as well).

Lounge Locations | New Zealand | Auckland International Airport | International First | Qantas.com

Lounge Access and Eligibility
Eligible Class of Travel
Eligible Qantas Members
Platinum Frequent Flyer
Next onward flight must be on a Qantas^, Emirates^, Jetstar Airlines+ or oneworld operated and marketed flight. #

One guest allowed and must be travelling with the member on the same flight.
Eligible oneworld Status
^ Lounge access eligibility is based on the class of travel, Qantas club membership or the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight.
The last part of the ^ footnote refers to the membership frequent Flyer Program the PAX is crediting to.

i.e. To be using Qantas FF Platinum status to enter this Lounge before a QF/EK flight the QF Platinum member is supposed be crediting the travel to QF.

n.b. There is no such caveat when traveling oneworld (other than QF) so the OP as a QF WP can Access the First Lounge before a LA flight while crediting to QR.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 16, 2016 at 2:03 am Reason: Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:39 am
Original Member

Usual fine grammar in QF (and Oneworld) rules; they love to make it ambiguous or even wrong. I'd love to see QF try to define what "membership tier for your next onward flight" means, at face value it is the tier you have at the time that flight is taken and nothing to do with crediting options.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:42 am

Usual fine grammar in QF (and Oneworld) rules; they love to make it ambiguous or even wrong. I'd love to see QF try to define what "membership tier for your next onward flight" means, at face value it is the tier you have at the time that flight is taken and nothing to do with crediting options.
That is my reading too.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This be true - however, there are reports and anecdotes that QF Status PAX have been denied entry unless crediting their travel to QFF.

Are you gunna call a Lawyer at the coal face when so denied?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.