QF LAN and QR

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
This be true - however, there are reports and anecdotes that QF Status PAX have been denied entry unless crediting their travel to QFF.

Are you gunna call a Lawyer at the coal face when so denied?

Thanks for posting the extract.

However, I am struggling to divine how any reasonably literate person could arrive at the proposed interpretation.

I would argue that the onus is on QF to publish on its website a clear statement of its intent with regard to lounge access.

No lawyer should be necessary! The rules should be clearly stated...

Serfty, I realise you are merely reporting experiences here (and not necessarily defending QF) - are you able to confirm whether the lounge dragons turning status folk away are using the the extracted "rule" as their justification?

If it happened to me, I would be politely asking to see the rule in writing and producing the access rules from the website (which we know from various other threads should be carried when travelling!)...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it happens, then ( although may not help getting acces that time ) the reasonable compensation provided by Qantas customer relations can make up for it

I raised it when I had an issue with an EK lounge - I contacted QF customer relations afterwards and spoke to somone reasonably senior, who after checking in to it ,confirmed that whether I had the QF number or another in the booking makes no difference to the entitlement to lounge access and that the agent should have provided the benefits

I have had no real issues with QF lounges using QFF benefits when crediting elsewhere
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Platy
Serfty, I realise you are merely reporting experiences here (and not necessarily defending QF) - are you able to confirm whether the lounge dragons turning status folk away are using the the extracted "rule" as their justification?
Since it has never happened to me I can only interpret anecdotes.

The most common I have seen were at domestic Qantas Clubs where the QF status PAX was being denied entry due to to a desire to credit travel to AAdvantage where they had no status.

This all started in late 2013 time after the EK tie-up began ... and there has been much confusion - including from Lounge staff.

There's some threads on it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...l#post22256355

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...l#post21899334

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post22398419

I have seen reports of PAX simply changing the accrual for their travel after gaining lounge access.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:29 pm

Since it has never happened to me I can only interpret anecdotes.

The most common I have seen were at domestic Qantas Clubs where the QF status PAX was being denied entry due to to a desire to credit travel to AAdvantage where they had no status.

This all started in late 2013 time after the EK tie-up began ... and there has been much confusion - including from Lounge staff.

There's some threads on it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...l#post22256355

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...l#post21899334

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post22398419

I have seen reports of PAX simply changing the accrual for their travel after gaining lounge access.
Respectfully, Serfty, you do indeed appear to be adding your personal interpretation to the discussion by citing the wording from the QF web site lounge access footnotes and proposing a reading which stretches credulity.

And also by suggesting that the EK tie-up has some bearing despite the OP's question and some other examples are not directly related to EK scenarios, rather QF, BA, etc.

A OneWorld customer on an economy DONE4 (or similar) could run into all sorts of inconsistent lounge access issues if citing, say, an AA Platinum membership number...

IMHO much speculation afoot.

Surely these sort of questions should be very easy to resolve if QF:

1. Presented its T&Cs in a clear and definitive manner
2. Had the customer relations capacity and competency to answer customer queries in a confident and definitive manner (e.g a "RedRoo" or equivalent simply stepping into a thread and stating the case)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:14 pm

There is nothing in QF's rules that inhibit it and given that Customer Service has explicitly stated the same to me ( and provided pretty decent compensation) after an occasion where was not allowed to take a guest into an EK lounge due to not having a QF number with sapphire status showing in the booking , I cannot see that there is the case that there is any requirement for the number to be in the booking
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If my (and lounge staff) interpretation of "Lounge access eligibility is based on ... the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight." is not correct, please advise what it is supposed to mean.

Not withstanding any other comments - it is a fact there are anecdotes that Qantas statused PAX have been refused entry to Qantas lounges via thier QF status while crediting travel to a frequent flyer program other than Qantas. Whether such interpretation by lounge staff is correct or not is moot when such entry is denied.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 18, 2016 at 6:12 am
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:29 pm

The last part of the ^ footnote refers to the membership frequent Flyer Program the PAX is crediting to.
Serfty, respectfully, that is the very assumption on your part, which means you are making an interpretation.

That said...I think I have new data to resolve this question (that makes us both right and both wrong!).

If you look at the QF website description of tier benefits there is a bullet point under the GOLD lounge access rules:

https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...nefits-of-gold

"...Ensure your Qantas Frequent Flyer number is in your booking to be able to access the lounge using your Qantas Frequent Flyer card..."

However, when you look at the rules for PLATINUM, no such rule is listed (unless I've missed it).

If one can take this at face value - a Gold member needs to enter their QF number in the booking but a Platinum (or P1) member does not, in order to gain lounge access commensurate with status.

On that basis, the strategy of Life Time Gold members crediting to, say, AAdvantage, may need to be micro-managed by the passenger: cite QF number then change once in lounge (if you can do this)...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:57 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I suspect that making an issue with QF for an exact resolution will only lead to a response that is an "enhancement". I assume that Red Roo's silence means that QF no longer follows this web site.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:46 pm

The not following is better than spam drops with no value

I am sticking with the interpretation provided by customer service when discussed with them
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The not following is better than spam drops with no value

I am sticking with the interpretation provided by customer service when discussed with them
I assume you are not suggesting that a quote lifted directly from the QF website, of direct relevance to the question at hand, which specifically addresses the need to enter the frequent flyer number for QF Gold member lounge access is a "spam drop with no value"?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:20 pm

I assume you are not suggesting that a quote lifted directly from the QF website, of direct relevance to the question at hand, which specifically addresses the need to enter the frequent flyer number for QF Gold member lounge access is a "spam drop with no value"?
No, I was replying to previous post to mine ( post 23 )
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:36 pm

...thanks...and in that context a point well made....^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:56 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Thanks Dave - have a nice day.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Serfty, respectfully, that is the very assumption on your part, which means you are making an interpretation.
Certainly assumption and interpretation in relation to my statement. Please also understand there is also 'fact' when relaying credible anecdotes in relation to this topic.

This has been discussed here and elsewhere at length - you have even posted in some of those threads I linked to earlier.

All in all, it does not matter what we think; if lounge staff deny access incorrectly, then even though one may get redress as per Dave Noble's anecdote, it does not help at the time.

Personally, if I feel the urge to credit to a different *O FF program while using Qantas Benefits benefits to access a Qantas lounge I will enter that lounge with my Qantas FF number referenced in my booking.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 20, 2016 at 4:18 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:32 am

All in all, it does not matter what we think; if lounge staff deny access incorrectly, then even though one may get redress as per Dave Noble's anecdote, it does not help at the time.

Personally, if I feel the urge to credit to a different *O FF program while using Qantas Benefits benefits to access a Qantas lounge I will enter that lounge with my Qantas FF number referenced in my booking.
Points well made, Serfty.

I believe I have a consistent position - QF needs to articulate the rules clearly. I am also in favour of there being some latitude (e.g. per another thread on first class arriving passenger denied entry).

If the rules are clearly set out they can be copied and carried to challenge unfair denial of access.

As a point of passing amusement (only) - there are several regulars herein who espouse an absolute reading of the rules then happily seek to adopt an interpretation in their personal favour. Not that I have a problem with such - if the customer can "win" one against an airline go for it - QF does its best to gouge the loyal customer!

(P.S. As an aside as LTG thinking of posting to AA - having already spent the money over many years of loyal custom to reach LTG it could be considered reasonable for QF to honour the benefit set, with or without the membership number in the booking!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.