Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD Int to Domestic- Rule if not enough connection time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD Int to Domestic- Rule if not enough connection time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QueEff
Check if you have a passport that can be used at the Smart Gates in Sydney. This will speed up your transfer massively. The Smart Gate computers are easy to miss and most people walk past not knowing what they are and end up queuing for a long time. They look sort of like ATMs along each wall of one section of the corridor to immigration.

I usually use the Smart Gate and still beat my priority bags out.
It is hard to miss the self service immigration machines whem departing
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Yes, Au egate/departure Smargates are placed just in front of the immi counters at SYDi after int security screening.
Place your passport flat on the glass plate, data page facing down like as if you are making a photocopy of it, look at camera which is a bit to the right hand side, wait for the beep or the tone, and then you are through to walk through.
Just remember to drop your green outgoing pax card into a clear lidded box.
They don't make an effort to chase you up for those anymore, I have seen people still having them slipped in their passports on the plane after leaving Au soil!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Qantas Gold FF
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Yes, Au egate/departure Smargates are placed just in front of the immi counters at SYDi after int security screening.
Place your passport flat on the glass plate, data page facing down like as if you are making a photocopy of it, look at camera which is a bit to the right hand side, wait for the beep or the tone, and then you are through to walk through.
Just remember to drop your green outgoing pax card into a clear lidded box.
They don't make an effort to chase you up for those anymore, I have seen people still having them slipped in their passports on the plane after leaving Au soil!
OP is referring to arriving in Sydney, not departing. Smart Gates were mentioned as a way to reduce connection time to domestic.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
?.........drop your green outgoing pax card into a clear lidded box.
They don't make an effort to chase you up for those anymore, ?.......!
The box that looks more like a rubbish bin - recycling. The staff are so few now that they either don't care or have been instructed not to do the chasing.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QueEff
OP is referring to arriving in Sydney, not departing. Smart Gates were mentioned as a way to reduce connection time to domestic.
The current question in Post 9 asks about connecting MEL-SYD-HKG even though the thread title refers to international to domestic
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
What if it's not a QF-QF Intl-Dom connection? I'm arriving via CX at 710a in a few weeks' time. Do I dare book the 915a QF service onward to OOL, knowing I will have to get over there in time to check a bag? (Or is there a QF recheck / bag drop desk at the tail end of international arrivals, to save us toting our things over to dom on the bus ourselves?) Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
What if it's not a QF-QF Intl-Dom connection? I'm arriving via CX at 710a in a few weeks' time. Do I dare book the 915a QF service onward to OOL, knowing I will have to get over there in time to check a bag? (Or is there a QF recheck / bag drop desk at the tail end of international arrivals, to save us toting our things over to dom on the bus ourselves?) Thanks.
Personally, I wouldn't have considered booking this on separate PNRs prior to the changes, far too easy to get stuck at immigration/customs at that time of the morning - even if the inbound is on time.

Yes, there *is* a Domestic bag-drop/check-in service in the International Terminal but - again - can become quite busy at that time at SYD (might even be quicker to jump on the train and transfer to Domestic to check-in) ... but a 2 hours connection at that time of the morning on separate tickets ... I wouldn't risk it.

If you are on the one PNR and misconnect - or look like misconnecting - QF will switch you to a later flight (assuming availability).

Regards,

BD
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BD1959
... a 2 hours connection at that time of the morning on separate tickets ... I wouldn't risk it.
Done. I haven't booked anything yet -- just mulling my options. Your sage advice tipped me toward a more generous four-hour layover window. Thank you for taking the time.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by BearX220
Done. I haven't booked anything yet -- just mulling my options. Your sage advice tipped me toward a more generous four-hour layover window. Thank you for taking the time.
You may still be offered an earlier flight but a 4 hour window is an ace up your sleeve as opposed to having already missed your connecting flight although QF to QF on separate tickets post 01 Sep is okay for through check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.