Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

baggage check thru? for SYD overnight connection

Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM

we are flying from New Zealand back to Asia through Sydney in a few days (because of flight connection schedule). any idea if we would be able to check in our luggages all the way for the overnight ~20 hour connection? both flights would be on QF on the same ticket. we are hoping we don't need to get all the luggages and get them to hotel and check them in again the next morning. thanks a lot!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will need to collect bags
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi tedhl,

Never tried it myself but I believe you cannot leave bags overnight as you've described and will need to collect at SYD.

If you'd rather not drag the bags to the hotel (and back) there is a Left Luggage facility in the International Arrivals Hall.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:01 pm

I was under the impression that if your connection is under 24 hours then it will be through checked if it is on the same ticket.? Im not saying thats gospel but if the same pnr and connection under 24 hours then you can
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by appleosprey
I was under the impression that if your connection is under 24 hours then it will be through checked if it is on the same ticket.? Im not saying thats gospel but if the same pnr and connection under 24 hours then you can
Only where the airport allows that length of time ; I am fairly sure that Sydney is not an airport that allows baggage to remain overnight
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Only where the airport allows that length of time ; I am fairly sure that Sydney is not an airport that allows baggage to remain overnight
SYD never allows overnight baggage storage for connections, Dave is quite right. Increasingly more airports are limiting this, perhaps due to security or due to volumes. Plan accordingly.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Along the same lines, if I'm transiting MEL (12 hour layover) and leave the airport, will I need an Australian visa? The Qantas website and Australian tourism say that you dont need a transit visa if staying in the airport but aren't too clear if you are leaving it.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Filler03
Along the same lines, if I'm transiting MEL (12 hour layover) and leave the airport, will I need an Australian visa? The Qantas website and Australian tourism say that you dont need a transit visa if staying in the airport but aren't too clear if you are leaving it.
Assuming you don't have an Australian passport, yes.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
You can apply for the free transit visa, but yes, you will need a visa to enter
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Either (Free) transit visa (but you'll have to mail in your passport and photograph) https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/876.pdf

Or ETA

Information as of 05JUL16 / 0252 UTC
National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)
Transit Australia (AU) /Destination New Zealand (NZ)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW
Australia (AU)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
time of 8 hours:
Additional Information:
- Note: the following restrictions are in place depending on

- Valid visas in full or expired travel documents are accepted
if accompanied by new travel document.
Australia (AU)
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or Au VISA as here (subject to limitations) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...plication.html
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:56 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Or Au VISA as here (subject to limitations) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...plication.html
Yes I availed myself of that offer for the missus. But you are expected to donate the savings to charity (e.g. Society for Abandoned Animals in the missus' case).
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:09 pm

Seeking a little help: before posting my above comment on FT 10 days ago I was under the impression that we would not need a Visa to transit through MEL (LAX-MEL-AKL). But after reading that there is an 8 hour time limit and seeing the posts above, I think I'm in trouble. We leave in 12 days and I certainly don't have enough time to send my passport and Visa app along with a picture. What can I do!?!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Filler03
Seeking a little help: before posting my above comment on FT 10 days ago I was under the impression that we would not need a Visa to transit through MEL (LAX-MEL-AKL). But after reading that there is an 8 hour time limit and seeing the posts above, I think I'm in trouble. We leave in 12 days and I certainly don't have enough time to send my passport and Visa app along with a picture. What can I do!?!
Arriving on QF94 early morning and departing to AKL that afternoon?

I'm thinking you're not planning to *enter* Australia - which both the ETA and Transit Visa linked to above enable - therefore I don't see you have to do anything??

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:03 pm

Correct, coming in on QF94. Depart MEL 6:00pm local time. (11 hour layover). We were planning on possibly heading down to downtown MEL since we have time to kill and never been to AUS. I just did the ETA on the government website... kind of a hasty decision and maybe a waste of money, but I'd rather spend the $30 US than be sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.