Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Water damage to bags contents on QF flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water damage to bags contents on QF flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
After these stories I'm getting a hard case bag. :-)
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
How much is the excess on the travel insurance?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by lsed
How much is the excess on the travel insurance?
Excess varies depending on policy and selected options. Mine is $250 but another policy is $50.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Dianne47
I always watch weather reports when traveling. If rain is predicted, I put as much of my clothing as possible in large ziplocks.
After I got my suitcase contents well and truly soaked because my suitcase (hard shell but with a zip) was left out in a thunderstorm while travelling on QF, I also putt all my clothes and anything that should not get wet in A3 ziplock bags or 'vacuum bags'.

I have had my suitcases get a good soaking since but no soaking wet contents ever since.

Regardless of liabilities of any airline for leaving people's suitcases in rain, it's always sensible to take precautions ourselves.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by keneshhagard
I bought a Samsonite Cosmolite bag for this reason, it is waterproof (including the zipper) and has saved me in several torrential downpours. One of the few bags that are worth the cost. I've tried a dozen different bags in the past decade and this is by far the best and only waterproof one (though I haven't dunked it in the pool yet).

One reason that bags soaking is more common is that lightning danger to ground crew at airports is better understood and most airports require tarmac to be evacuated when storms hit -- leaving some bags out in the rain until the lightning risk is over.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by keneshhagard
My Rimowa hard case was soaked as well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.