Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

It doesn't matter who it is that you choose to deal with, both are liable ( see above ). The CAA is only recommending what it thinks is the best way to approach - the CAA does not write the regulation

With joint liability, QF will be liable regardless of who you choose to deal with and the airlines will likely deal with it internally

By not checking bags through, QF is limiting its liability solely to the delivery of bags at the end of the contracted journey

With a multiple itinerary QF A-B and AA B-C , at B if bags are collected , QF's responsibiliy and liability ends. The bags are then checked in for B-C and AA has sole liability for that.

If QF checks the bags from A-C via B, it has liability even once its part of the journey is over
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
So QF assume contractual liability over the second PNR simply by tagging the bag through to the final destination?

The ticket (which forms no part of the second PNR) is surely the contracted document, not the bag-tag??

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
So QF assume contractual liability over the second PNR simply by tagging the bag through to the final destination?
Yes. It is liable for the baggage even though it is getting no revenue from the journey
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:47 pm

Interesting.

I'd have thought QF would be excluded by paragraph 3 of Section 1:

Carriage to be performed by several successive carriers is deemed, for the purposes of this Convention, to be one undivided carriage if it has been regarded by the parties as a single operation,

Surely QF would argue that courtesy of two PNRs there are two operations??

Particularly - on the (lack of revenue for the second PNR) - that the first paragraph of that Section states:

This Convention applies to all international carriage of persons, baggage or cargo performed by aircraft for reward. (my emphasis)

But then I'm no lawyer.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

By accepting the baggage for onwards travel, the originating carrier assumes liability
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
By accepting the baggage for onwards travel, the originating carrier assumes liability
Where in the Montreal Convention does it say that?

Specifically Article 40 restricts the operating (as opposed to contracting) carrier solely to the carriage it performs.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Once the baggage is accepted, it is a single operation.

Carriage to be performed by several successive carriers is deemed, for the purposes of this Convention, to be one undivided carriage if it has been regarded by the parties as a single operation, whether it had been agreed upon under the form of a single contract or of a series of contracts
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:41 pm

But there is NO contract with the initiating carrier for the second PNR and moreover paragraph 2 of Article 36 states:

2. In the case of carriage of this nature (successive carriage), the passenger or any person entitled
to compensation in respect of him or her can take action only against the
carrier which performed the carriage during which the accident or the delay
occurred, save in the case where, by express agreement, the first carrier has
assumed liability for the whole journey.

In my mind merely tagging the bag is not "express agreement" - but then again, I'm no lawyer.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Read paragraph 3 ( as posted above )

Article 36 refers to passengers, cargo and baggage

paragraph 3 refers to cargo and baggage
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes. It is liable for the baggage even though it is getting no revenue from the journey
QF is getting revenue for the journey. The passenger is choosing QF for the connecting segment (with profits to QF) rather than a competitor.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
QF is getting revenue for the journey. The passenger is choosing QF for the connecting segment (with profits to QF) rather than a competitor.
which they may well do regardless
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Anyway. QF MEL was happy to check through for my separate PNR CX flight as of yesterday. And issue BP for my CX flight too.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Anyway. QF MEL was happy to check through for my separate PNR CX flight as of yesterday. And issue BP for my CX flight too.
As expected, as today is before 1st Sept

Thread title: Qantas - no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [some exceptions] .
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As expected, as today is before 1st Sept

Thread title: Qantas - no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [some exceptions] .
I know this has been asserted by the title of this thread. And Ausbt has quoted a Qantas spokesperson.

I'm not aware QF has published this directly in writing tho (c.f. CX Agent's notice 1 June 2016) so I thought a data point might be helpful.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
I know this has been asserted by the title of this thread. And Ausbt has quoted a Qantas spokesperson.

I'm not aware QF has published this directly in writing tho (c.f. CX Agent's notice 1 June 2016) so I thought a data point might be helpful.
Qantas agents notice:

http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621

Qantas will be implementing the new oneworld ticketing arrangements on 1 September 2016.From 1 July, Qantas check-in agents will be informing customers checking in on separate oneworld tickets the policy has changed and that for travel from 1 September, they will need to book connections in a single booking to be eligible for through check-in to their final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.