Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
Totally agree. It's almost as though this policy change was devised in the "how to p!ss off pax with no financial gain" workshop.
It avoids financial loss - when accepting baggage , the airline has liabillity should it fail to be delivered to the passenger at the destination , though with separate tickets, is getting none of the revenue
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It avoids financial loss - when accepting baggage , the airline has liabillity should it fail to be delivered to the passenger at the destination , though with separate tickets, is getting none of the revenue
If I get a travel agent to book an itinerary for me using various OW carriers on a single ticket isn't the same true?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Doesn't explain why QF wouldn't through-check someone who is on QF-AA, AA-AA itineraries. AA - as the last carrier on the first PNR - is liable.
AA (currently) would accept that risk on separate PNRs but (my guess) QF still wouldn't through-check them at origin.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
Doesn't explain why QF wouldn't through-check someone who is on QF-AA, AA-AA itineraries. AA - as the last carrier on the first PNR - is liable.
AA (currently) would accept that risk on separate PNRs but (my guess) QF still wouldn't through-check them at origin.

Regards,

BD
the accepting carrier also has liability. From paragraph 3 of article 36 of the Montreal Convention ( Successive Carriage )

Originally Posted by Montreal Convention
3. As regards baggage or cargo, the passenger or consignor will have a right of action against the first carrier, and the passenger or consignee who is entitled to delivery will have a right of action against the last carrier, and further, each may take action against the carrier which performed the carriage during which the destruction, loss, damage or delay took place. These carriers will be jointly and severally liable to the passenger or to the consignor or consignee.
If someone buys an BA ticket from SYD-CDG via LHR and then buys a cheap Qantas domestic flight to Sydney rather than pay for a through fare, why should Qantas be liable to the passenger if the bag fails to be delivered in Paris even though the delay/loss is nothing to do with Qantas and it delivered it to Sydney on time plus it is getting no revenue for the BA flight

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 15, 2016 at 9:18 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Prediction: (excluding BA)

At some point in the future, through checking (and IRROPs assistance) will be limited to a single airline group or to airlines where a joint venture agreement has been completed.

Baggage through tagging will be permitted on single PNRs but boarding passes will not be available.

End prediction of happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:17 pm

the accepting carrier also has liability. From paragraph 3 of article 36 of the Montreal Convention ( Successive Carriage )
But in my example QF has the same liability regardless of the second PNR being there or not. If I were to arrive at my final destination and my bags did not, I'd be talking to AA regardless of whether this was as a result of the bags not reaching the destination at the end of the first PNR or second.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
But in my example QF has the same liability regardless of the second PNR being there or not. If I were to arrive at my final destination and my bags did not, I'd be talking to AA regardless of whether this was as a result of the bags not reaching the destination at the end of the first PNR or second.

Regards,

BD
QF and AA are jointly and severally liable if it checks the bags through. Who you report the missing baggage to on arrival does not impact this

If QF checks the bags for its ticket and delivers them to the destination on that ticket , it has no liability onwards

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 15, 2016 at 9:30 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
If someone buys an BA ticket from SYD-CDG via LHR and then buys a cheap Qantas domestic flight to Sydney rather than pay for a through fare, why should Qantas be liable to the passenger if the bag fails to be delivered in Paris even though the delay/loss is nothing to do with Qantas and it delivered it to Sydney on time plus it is getting no revenue for the BA flight
Some revenue is better than no revenue.@:-) With no interlining, I lose a pretty important benefit and become pretty agnostic on who gets me to my connecting airport. More so on an I-T-I than dom to international.

I can't see how interlining costs an airline on a net basis.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Baggage through tagging will be permitted on single PNRs but boarding passes will not be available.
Having to pick up boarding passes at intermediate ports is common enough now. Always has been reasonably common in my experience of visiting transfer desks...
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bensyd
I can't see how interlining costs an airline on a net basis.
Much is about automation. Easier to get systems to do automatic rebookings and so on during IRROPS when those systems know what else you're doing!

Besides which, they will interline - you just need to have it on a single PNR!

Last edited by perthite; Jun 16, 2016 at 1:16 am
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
... why should Qantas be liable to the passenger if the bag fails to be delivered in Paris even though the delay/loss is nothing to do with Qantas and it delivered it to Sydney on time plus it is getting no revenue for the BA flight
because it all probably equals out in the end... there's probably a passenger buying a cheap BA fare to connect with a Qantas flight somewhere, with BA ending up liable for a bag it had little or nothing to do with.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
because it all probably equals out in the end... there's probably a passenger buying a cheap BA fare to connect with a Qantas flight somewhere, with BA ending up liable for a bag it had little or nothing to do with.
I doubt that it is all equal and that some airlines are more impacted than others. Can't imagine many wanting to make a trip from EU into London to purchase a QF ex-LHR ticket

If one or more airline wanted it, with this not being a published benefit , is an easy change to make and better for the alliance than an airline quitting
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: QF
QF and AA are jointly and severally liable if it checks the bags through. Who you report the missing baggage to on arrival does not impact this

If QF checks the bags for its ticket and delivers them to the destination on that ticket , it has no liability onwards
Where does AA stand liability wise with the Montreal Convention if they through check a pax on separate tickets to QF when a delay on the inbound AA flight results in pax mis-connecting to their QF flight.

Will AA pay for any new tickets to get the pax all the way back to Australia?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:24 am
Original Poster

AA would be under no liability to get the passenger to anywhere other than that specified on the ticket which the AA flight is on

By its own policy however, it will protect passengers connection between AA and OneWorld carriers ( at the moment )
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:00 pm

If QF are responsible - regardless of whether I spot them missing at the end of the first PNR or the second, AA will chase them (as the carrier who is ultimately responsible *to me*).

From the UK CAA website: If you are claiming for a lost or damaged bag when you have been on two or more different airlines on a journey, you can claim from any of the airlines, however it would usually be the final airline that would handle the claim so they are a good place to start.

Therefore, regardless I would go to AA in the first instance. If AA determine that QF lost or damaged my bag, I would expect AA to notify me of that and I would take it up with Qantas. This would be irrelevant to whether I'm travelling on the single or (if allowed) multiple itinerary.

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.