Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD/MEL - DXB - LHR - when do you sleep?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

I need to be fresh in LHR when I land the next day.

Currently taking the evening departure (23h00)... When would you sleep?

My current plan is

[[ SYD/MEL 23h00 ]]
* Eat the meal
* Nap 4-5h
* Work
[[ DXB 07h00 - 09h00 ]]
* Sleep on take-off (as much as possible)
* Work
[[ LHR @ 14h00 ]]

What's been successful for others?
Old May 28, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: QFF
I do the same for every long haul flight.
Set watch to destination timezone when boarding. Plan sleep based on that.

eg
QF1 departs SYD at 1600, so about 1000 in DXB and 0500 (daylight) in LHR. The flight is about 14 hours to DXB, so I want to stay up for at least the first half of the flight then have a 2-3 hour nap before arriving in DXB.
The second leg of QF1 departs DXB around 0200 local, or ~11pm in LHR. Flight is 6-7 hours. I want to sleep for as much of the flight as possible.

QF9 makes this somewhat harder given the 2300 local MEL departure when it's 1pm in London. I'd want to stay up for the first 5 or so hours, then sleep the rest of the time to DXB. No more then a short 1-2 hour nap on the 2nd leg into LHR.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Himeno

eg
QF1 departs SYD at 1600, so about 1000 in DXB and 0500 (daylight) in LHR. The flight is about 14 hours to DXB, so I want to stay up for at least the first half of the flight then have a 2-3 hour nap before arriving in DXB.
The second leg of QF1 departs DXB around 0200 local, or ~11pm in LHR. Flight is 6-7 hours. I want to sleep for as much of the flight as possible.

QF9 makes this somewhat harder given the 2300 local MEL departure when it's 1pm in London. I'd want to stay up for the first 5 or so hours, then sleep the rest of the time to DXB. No more then a short 1-2 hour nap on the 2nd leg into LHR.
I do this if I can. For NZ/Australia to Europe I find a short sleep on each leg is better than one long sleep and one flight staying awake.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Himeno

eg

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I do this if I can. For NZ/Australia to Europe I find a short sleep on each leg is better than one long sleep and one flight staying awake.
I tend to do the same on my AU-EU flights... E.g. I am going this Wednesday on TG466 and then OS26. TG466 is fully EU daylight, so no sleep on that one at all. OS26 leaves BKK at 18:45 EU time and arrives in VIE at 05:35 EU time. So I am going to have Champagne and dinner on OS26 and then will sleep as much as possible and skipping breakfast. I have 3 hours layover in VIE before flight to BSL, so I will have breakfast in the lounge in VIE. Being in J makes it of course easier...
Old May 29, 2016, 4:53 am

I did a similar routine on the QF1. Had a nice long meal. Watched a movie and slept for 4-5 hours. Back on board the QF1 from DXB, light dinner and bed. Felt great and stayed up right through to late evening.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by shuuy
What's been successful for others?
Are you in sitting upright in Y or have a bed in J or F? That's going to make a big difference!

This works for me (slumming it back in Y) but may not be for everyone:

QF 1 SYD-DXB arrive 12:25 am; QF 9 DXB-LHR depart 9 am. Do what you feel like on the first flight.

Check into the airside hotel in DXB, sleep for 5 or 6 hours in a real bed and have a shower before boarding QF 9. You'll be waking up at something closer to UK "morning" time.

If you're not averse to code shares, take QF 8415 (EK 415) from Sydney and have a much longer break in the middle. It leaves at 6 am (which makes for a very painful start to the day) but the 14 hrs feel like "daytime. When it lands at 2 pm in DXB I go to the hotel, have a shower and a short nap, then have dinner at ~6 pm (the lounge is deserted!) and go back to the hotel for a real night's sleep before flying on the next morning.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I find long layovers actually making jet lag in the final destination worse, because basically I need to adjust twice... I used to have 2-3 day stop overs in Asia on the way between AU and EU (and v.v.), but stoped doing that exactly because of this. But as I said before, I travel always in J at least which makes everything easier for my preferred way...
Old May 30, 2016, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I think everyone has a different preference for sleeping.

I just sleep when I am tired. A potential 'danger' in trying to force sleep patters is that you are trying to stay awake when you're very tired, but later when you're 'supposed' to be asleep you can't for some reason (turbulence, or aren't sleepy). Then you might miss out on sleep entirely.

If you sleep when you are tired you at least get some sleep and don't arrive a complete wreck.

The importance of sleep management is on arrival. Especially the first night.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think everyone has a different preference for sleeping.

I just sleep when I am tired. A potential 'danger' in trying to force sleep patters is that you are trying to stay awake when you're very tired, but later when you're 'supposed' to be asleep you can't for some reason (turbulence, or aren't sleepy). Then you might miss out on sleep entirely.

If you sleep when you are tired you at least get some sleep and don't arrive a complete wreck.

The importance of sleep management is on arrival. Especially the first night.
A very sound practise. I struggle to sleep on planes as it is (my requirements seemingly being complete darkness, very little noise and no movement - so planes fail miserably), so if I can fall asleep on one then I will regardless.

I'd come across this thread while thinking what to do about sleeping on a MEL-DXB-LHR journey this weekend, that first stint is a long one so was just going to sleep when I could. However, have since discovered that it stops at SIN for two hours on the way - which is not helpful at all!
Old May 31, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I find long layovers actually making jet lag in the final destination worse, because basically I need to adjust twice... I used to have 2-3 day stop overs in Asia on the way between AU and EU (and v.v.), but stoped doing that exactly because of this. But as I said before, I travel always in J at least which makes everything easier for my preferred way...
I agree with the point above that different people have different preferences and requirements. So I'm not trying to convince anyone, just offer one perspective.

I used to fly through BKK, SIN or HKG to Europe and I agree that a long layover/stopover there is not helpful, because it's only 2* or 3 hours different to SYD time and still 5 or 6 hours different from Europe, so any adjustment there is insignificant. The benefit of Dubai is its 6 hour different to SYD and only 2 hours wrt Europe. I find (but everyone is different) that with a very early start from Sydney and 14 hrs in Y, I sleep well at the DXB hotel and in the morning it feels like morning. And in Europe I have to be up early anyway (compared to my routine at home) so it suits me.

Now, coming back to Sydney is a different story; I also stay at DXB overnight but it doesn't help as much because the long-haul and 6 hour time adjustment is still ahead.

*All time calculations based on Australian winter; may be different in summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.