Search

Qf 7/8 dfw-syd

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Qf 7/8 dfw-syd

Hi All:

Question- I am looking to book a PE return ticket from DCA-DFW-SYD on 8/11 or 12 returning on the 8/26-27.

Qantas is quoting about $4k return on their website. AA oddly has it for about $3300 return on their website (same flights). I've been trying to search the web for what a good PE price is for that time of year and I can't find any guidance.

I was curious if folks here had any experience trying to book flights during August to SYD and whether I should wait to see if those PE prices come down at all.

As an aside, a couple of months back I did DFW-SYD on Qantas J and was just blown away by the service. Flew SYD-LAX back on F and my IFE didn't even work. Needless to say, future trips to AUS will be on QF metal when at all possible.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Best to check if those are both USD or QF may be quoting AUD. Seems like a good price overall, and cheapest (best value) PE prices are from LAX not DFW, where it can be 200% of discount economy price when on sale, not quite sure of the amount as I don't buy PE but guessing maybe 10% cheaper than your USD3300. If QF has it for AUD4000 than that is cheaper than AA codeshare.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Also, Im not sure but if you buy a PE from QF you can upgrade as a QF FF member. But if you buy the same seat from AA it cannot be upgraded. I think...
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

I was actually able to find a PE fare yesterday for $2400 total so I grabbed that. Oddly, the flights connecting from DCA to SYD were still at close to $4000, so I will buy the DCA-DFW flights separately and then have the two records combined (which AA told me they can do).

One final question, for PE on the A380, does anyone know if you are seated in a window seat if you are close enough to be able to lean against the window to sleep? From the photos it looks like there is quite a distance between the two. If that is the case and you can't rest your head on the cabin, I'll probably stick to an aisle as I have the bladder size of a small child or really old person.

Thank you.

p.s. in previous post I mentioned flying back SYD-LAX in F. That was on AA. AA F was nowhere close to QF J service.

Last edited by leftistblue; Apr 27, 2016 at 10:36 am Reason: sloppiness.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Also, Im not sure but if you buy a PE from QF you can upgrade as a QF FF member. But if you buy the same seat from AA it cannot be upgraded. I think...
AFAIK the ticket number (001 or 081) is irrelevant in the upgrade process.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by leftistblue

One final question, for PE on the A380, does anyone know if you are seated in a window seat if you are close enough to be able to lean against the window to sleep? From the photos it looks like there is quite a distance between the two. If that is the case and you can't rest your head on the cabin, I'll probably stick to an aisle as I have the bladder size of a small child or really old person.
At waist level on the A and K seats there is enough of a gap for side storage bins. Going up to shoulder level the gap is perhaps halved.

Really the PE seats are biggish - about the size of USA domestic First class seats (non bed) and you'd need to be rather tall to actually find a level of comfort in leaning against the wall so.

Moreover, the seats do recline quite some way and if not in a bulkhead/exit it can be difficult to get out if the seat in front is fully back.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:47 pm

One final question, for PE on the A380, does anyone know if you are seated in a window seat if you are close enough to be able to lean against the window to sleep? From the photos it looks like there is quite a distance between the two.
There is a small bin between the seat and the window so no, you cannot rest your head on the cabin wall. That said I found that closing the seat back "wings" in does perfectly well for me. YMMV.

There are haters out there, but I think Qantas PE is a terrific product that has transformed my regular trips across the Pacific. Again, YMMV.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by og
Good to know.

My experience has been that on AA you can only upgrade an 001 ticket on AA metal with AA miles(or swus)

I was actually able to find a PE fare yesterday for $2400 total so I grabbed that. Oddly, the flights connecting from DCA to SYD were still at close to $4000, so I will buy the DCA-DFW flights separately and then have the two records combined (which AA told me they can do).
Good luck with that... they can 'point' the records to each other, but cannot 'combine' or merge. make sure you have enough time in DFW just in case.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
If you want to bid for an upgrade using the Qantas program, I think you need a QF ticket. I would recommend a bid of at least 1700$US on the DFW-SYD route
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eamus
There is a small bin between the seat and the window so no, you cannot rest your head on the cabin wall. That said I found that closing the seat back "wings" in does perfectly well for me. YMMV.

There are haters out there, but I think Qantas PE is a terrific product that has transformed my regular trips across the Pacific. Again, YMMV.
Just flew this 2 weeks ago. Agree that the "wings" around the headrest will do a great job. You would not be able to lean on the window
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Good to know.

Good luck with that... they can 'point' the records to each other, but cannot 'combine' or merge. make sure you have enough time in DFW just in case.
They told me that they could check bags the whole way through. I'm one of those weirdos that gets to the airport insanely early anyway. I'll probably do the 12:30ish flight from DCA to DFW.

Then was thinking about checking out the Centurion Lounge...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
They told me that they could check bags the whole way through. I'm one of those weirdos that gets to the airport insanely early anyway. I'll probably do the 12:30ish flight from DCA to DFW.
Yes, AA will check through on separate tickets as long as the tickets are all AA or oneworld - just make sure to have a copy of your Qantas reservation with you when you go to check your bags. AA also will protect on separate tickets in case of IRROPs as long as the tickets are all AA or oneworld. But the tickets won't actually be merged.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:04 am

Then was thinking about checking out the Centurion Lounge...
Thats not an issue- I just did that both ways connecting in DFW on QF7/8.

We chaecked out the Centurion and the QF first. The centurion made my wife's skin crawl, it was so crowded. I walked over to take a peak at the AA Flagship dining room. Such and odd room/vibe/space. The QF lounge was super chill.

We had 3 hrs to connect in DFW headed to SYD, I could have cut it closer, but I didnt want to risk issues. Which was somewhat prescient as AA published weather waivers the 3 days prior to our trip. I usually dont do that for business trips, but this was pleasure.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

I figure in August there is a good chance that thunderstorms in the evening can muck up flights in DFW, so I want to get to DFW before those tend to gather.

I am already an Admirals Club member, so I may go check out the showers in Terminal A, I hear they are the bomb.

What a sad little life I live...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:50 pm

We all do, in our own little way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.