Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying QF segments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Qualifying QF segments

Hi guys

Long time lurker and first time poster here at Flyer Talk. Hope one of you may be able to help, and apologies if I'm asking silly questions.

I was in Australia for 1 year so signed up for QFF. I've now left Australia and having travelled around South America a lot with Oneworld and with another 10 or so segments left to fly I know that I will definately hit the status credits for silver, maybe even gold if we do any more last minute trips. My problem is that I only have 2 QF segments as I took other flights as reward flights. So I need another 2 segments. Problem is I'm obviously now in South America and I can't bring up any Qantas marketed flights on their website. I've seen a few Qantas flight numbers on code share AA flights in America but I can't bring them up to purchase on the Qantas website. Only other option is I'm back in the UK in June and my year doesn't end until September. So I was thinking a trip to Dubai? But if anyone has suggestions that would be great. Also haven't booked flight from South America to the UK yet, so if I could use that to get my segments that would be good too. Sorry about the long ramble. :-)
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, SallyLT!
Originally Posted by SallyLT
I've seen a few Qantas flight numbers on code share AA flights in America but I can't bring them up to purchase on the Qantas website. Only other option is I'm back in the UK in June and my year doesn't end until September. So I was thinking a trip to Dubai? But if anyone has suggestions that would be great. Also haven't booked flight from South America to the UK yet, so if I could use that to get my segments that would be good too.
The Qantas codeshare flights that you see can probably only be booked as part of an international Qantas itinerary, ie as part of a ticket to Australia. That is likely to be the explanation for why you can't see them if you're searching for local (presumably domestic US) flights.

London-Dubai-London would work. And if you didn't really want to go to Dubai, the cheapest Qantas fares should work with a Saturday night stay. In theory, you could fly from London to Dubai on Saturday afternoon, arriving in Dubai just before midnight; and then fly back to London at about 2 am on Sunday morning arriving back in London at about 7 am. Or you could fly out on Saturday night, arriving early Sunday morning, and then fly back at about 9 am to arrive in London early Sunday afternoon.

Are you flying back to the UK for good, so that your travel from South America to the UK is one-way? If it is, it may well be difficult to get two Qantas sectors in on that trip.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Are you flying back to the UK for good, so that your travel from South America to the UK is one-way? If it is, it may well be difficult to get two Qantas sectors in on that trip.
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes I'm afraid the trip from South America to the UK is just one way. Looks like a quick trip to Dubai is on the cards, only ever been in the airport, so will probably make a small trip out of it and stay for a few days. After I've got my status I may look at seeing if AA or BA would match the status (if they still do that) as that may be more beneficial being UK based than QFF

Last edited by SallyLT; Apr 25, 2016 at 4:22 pm Reason: Reduce quote
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SallyLT Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by SallyLT
I was in Australia for 1 year so signed up for QFF. I've now left Australia and having travelled around South America a lot with Oneworld and with another 10 or so segments left to fly I know that I will definitely hit the status credits for silver, maybe even gold if we do any more last minute trips.
<snip>
Only other option is I'm back in the UK in June and my year doesn't end until September.
Where is home long term? UK?

Many frequent flyer programs has a 4 segment own airline rule for status.
LHR-DXB would cost a lot. Maybe more than the benefit of QF silver. QF silver status does not get you much. What value in QF silver is there for you? QF Gold (OW Sapphire) has more benefits

Qantas ffp is not that good of frequent flyer program. Especially if you not live in Australia and/or fly QF a lot

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally however you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operation upgrades.

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit cards/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s). But if you do not live in USA or fly USA based airlines is less compelling.

What do you want from a ffp?
10 segment in another ffp may better long term value
AA and BA will not status match.
AA does offer a challenge. With 10 flights that may work. But AA have a 4 segment rule, after the challenge.

Look here, in particular post 330. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Time now to cast the QF ffp adrift in my view
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster

What do you want from a ffp?
10 segment in another ffp may better long term value
AA and BA will not status match.

Look here, in particular post 330. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Time now to cast the QF ffp adrift in my view
Thanks for your help I will check the posts out. From FF programmes wanting lounge access priority boarding - then maybe use our actual miles for an upgrade where we can. we fly a lot so would be handy to reach OW Sapphire for these sorts of benefits. Don't think we fly enough for OWE just yet :-) thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.