Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas made an error and cancelled my award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas made an error and cancelled my award flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Angry Qantas made an error and cancelled my award flights

Advice needed:
I booked flights on points (Qantas Frequent Flyer Program) for business class travel for my husband Dubai to Melbourne firstly because this was a gift for his birthday, secondly his back could not take the long haul in economy.

I later had to change the flights Rome to Melbourne (Australia). I was charged 3500 points for cancelling old flight and booking a new one. I paid all the taxes. 1 month later I rang Qantas to ask why they had not emailed the new ticket to me. I was told that Qantas made an error and luckily the Business Class seats were still available and they would re-book them straight away, refunding me back the 3500 cancellation fee. They apologized for their mistake.

I was emailed the new ticket and was told I did not have to reconfirm flights.

My husband arrived in Rome Airport, for his anticipated Business Class flight back home. He was told Qantas had cancelled the ticket 3 days after booking and he had to purchase a new ticket. He ended up (1) disappointed as the flight is very long and he was looking forward to having this little luxury which I gifted him (2) He had to purchase a new economy ticket and sit in Economy for 24 hours (3) He had to take 3 weeks off work as he was in agony after sitting in economy (he has had back surgery and has issues with his spine).

I rang Qantas and they admitted they had made an error and will investigate further. I have every conversation I had with them written down (ie names, dates, times, content of phone calls)

Not happy with Qantas!

What should I seek from them? So angry that my husband had to go through this!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If QF has admitted an error and he was properly ticketed, he is due EC 261/2004 comoensation of EUR 600. That is payable in cash (cash equivalent). QF also ought to, as a matter of customer service, refund his Y ticket and allow you to pay for that with points the J ticket you purchased (and refund you the points difference between Y and J). But, only if that is what you want.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the flight was from Rome it was probably an Emirates EK flight. QF do not fly to/from Rome

As he did not have a valid ticket EC 261/2004 may not apply. That would need checking more.

Also try
http://www.aviationcomplaints.gov.au...tomer-service/
http://www.airlinecustomeradvocate.com.au
(but are not a lot of practical use)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it was EK which improperly denied boarding, EK is then liable. But, the improper cancellation of a ticket is not a defense to EC 261/2004 denied boarding compensation.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EC261 does not apply since the passenger did not have a ticket. EK was quite correct in denying boarding. Not having a valid ticket is a valid justification to deny boarding

Originally Posted by EC261
(j) ‘denied boarding’ means a refusal to carry passengers on a flight, although they have presented themselves for boarding under the conditions laid down in Article 3(2), except where there are reasonable grounds to deny them boarding, such as reasons of health, safety or security, or inadequate travel documentation

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 24, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Sad to hear.

I would ask for a full refund of the last minute economy ticket purchased. And as a goodwill gesture for the stress and inconvenience no charge for the flight back home as it is clearly their error which should never happen. I am guessing the points weren't charged for the business award?

I guess it pays to regularly check all bookings.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
EC261 does not apply since the passenger did not have a ticket. EK was quite correct in denying boarding. Not having a valid ticket is a valid justification to deny boarding
I beg to differ. It is the commercial decision by EK to accept ticket on QF-stock.
What happens in the backoffice between EK and QF should not concern the passenger.

The passenger had a ticket (e-ticket confirmation) in his possession, when presenting himself in FCO.

Thus, the passenger is entitled to EUR 600 denied boarding compensation; PLUS (a full refund of the ticket) OR (75% refund of the ticket AND full refund of the replacement ticket). EK has to pay (not QF).
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
I beg to differ. It is the commercial decision by EK to accept ticket on QF-stock.
What happens in the backoffice between EK and QF should not concern the passenger.

The passenger had a ticket (e-ticket confirmation) in his possession, when presenting himself in FCO.

Thus, the passenger is entitled to EUR 600 denied boarding compensation; PLUS (a full refund of the ticket) OR (75% refund of the ticket AND full refund of the replacement ticket). EK has to pay (not QF).

EK will accept a QF ticket - however QF had cancelled the ticket and as such The passenger did not have a valid ticket

EK is not obligated to take a passenger who has no ticket for the flight

The passenger may well be able to take action against QF for any loss, but not under EC261
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
The contract of carriage was with QF. QF is the relevant entity the contractual relationship existed with - sue QF.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
EK will accept a QF ticket - however QF had cancelled the ticket and as such The passenger did not have a valid ticket
The customer had no knowledge that something was wrong with the ticket.
He had an e-ticket printout. In my eyes this is sufficient in terms of EC261/2004.
EK is liable for the actions of any other airline who plating tickets for EK-operated flights.

Otherwise, airlines found a loophole to always deny EC261/2004 payments by just cancelling tickets unilaterally.

The contract of carriage was with QF. QF is the relevant entity the contractual relationship existed with - sue QF.
When it comes to EC261/2004 OP has to sue EK.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
The customer had no knowledge that something was wrong with the ticket.
He had an e-ticket printout. In my eyes this is sufficient in terms of EC261/2004.
EK is liable for the actions of any other airline who plating tickets for EK-operated flights.

Otherwise, airlines found a loophole to always deny EC261/2004 payments by just cancelling tickets unilaterally.

When it comes to EC261/2004 OP has to sue EK.
That the customer did not know that the ticket was cancelled by Qantas is irrelevent

When checking in with Emirates, the passenger had no valid ticket

Emirates quite correctly refused travel to the passenger

There is no loophole here. It is not as if EK cancelled the tickets

By your argument, a customer can purchase a ticket from Qantas for the Qantas codeshare , then cancel the ticket and then expect Emirates to take the passenger despite having already cancelled it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.