Wiki Posts
Search

Reward flight charges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Reward flight charges

Hi all
Finally have enough points to book a reward flight through Qantas in Business for LHR-JFK return.Going on AA and returning on BA.
Just wondering if anyone would know how much the charges/Costs are for these reward flights .
Thanks for any assistance.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi FJB2016,

The easiest way to find out is to do a dummy booking up to the point of paying. Just did this for you:

15-Nov-16 BA175 LHR/JFK J
21-Nov-16 AA100 JFK/LHR J

103,000 points plus Ł327.55 in taxes/fees.

Interestingly using BA1 or BA3 from LCY as opposed to LHR requires Ł324.04.

Regards,

BD
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks BD
Didn't know I could put in a dummy booking.
Have now also checked and even cheaper using AA both ways.
Roughly GBP 250 so may be the way to go when it comes to booking.
Is there a huge difference between the 2 in J cabins?
They look pretty much the same to a novice like me.
Cheers again.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Those charges on the AA flights are genuine taxes - UK APD tax really is that much in business class. Of course if you were to book ex Dublin or anywhere else you can save a lot of that cost.

On the other hand if you're using Qantas points you'll probably regard these charges to be really really low...

... by comparison with QFF's exorbitantly high fuel carrier surcharges in its own metal. Qantas Frequent Flyer really is a world-leader in gouging surcharges from its captive market.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by harryhv
... by comparison with QFF's exorbitantly high fuel carrier surcharges in its own metal. Qantas Frequent Flyer really is a world-leader in gouging surcharges from its captive market.
C'mon, speak your mind and don't hold back

Interestingly, while QF demonstrates its expertise at price gouging, it is showing availability to me (as a QF WP) compared to checking the same flights and seeing no availability as an AA (nothing) FFer. Flight in question being HKG-SYD on CX - U available via QF but nothing via AA. Pay up to QF or go without
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by FJB2016
Thanks BD
Didn't know I could put in a dummy booking.
Have now also checked and even cheaper using AA both ways.
Roughly GBP 250 so may be the way to go when it comes to booking.
Is there a huge difference between the 2 in J cabins?
They look pretty much the same to a novice like me.
Cheers again.
Mr Google is your friend!

I haven't sampled either TATL but have I found this:
http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...usiness-class/
Personally, I think I'd look at doing at least one leg on the A318, probably JFK-LCY to avoid the SNN stopover east-west.

Regards,

BD
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by og
Interestingly, while QF demonstrates its expertise at price gouging, it is showing availability to me (as a QF WP) compared to checking the same flights and seeing no availability as an AA (nothing) FFer. Flight in question being HKG-SYD on CX - U available via QF but nothing via AA. Pay up to QF or go without
CX award availability is not shown on AA.com, but if QF is showing award availability you can book it with AA miles by calling AAdvantage.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nux
CX award availability is not shown on AA.com, but if QF is showing award availability you can book it with AA miles by calling AAdvantage.
Ahhh. Thankyou for that clarification. I was sure that I saw CX availability on aa.com a few years ago (and indeed booked it), but perhaps I was mistaken or things have changed in that time.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If you book AA's 77W you'll have a much better J seat than on BA. It's one of the best J seats in the air, and the cabin is 1-2-1, not 2-2-2 or 2-4-2 as on BA and UA. And of course, none of those fuel surcharges that make BA awards quite hard to swallow. (Alas, no way around those usurious UK fees.) As noted, CX awards cannot be searched on aa.com and if using AA miles, must be booked by phone.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
Personally, I think I'd look at doing at least one leg on the A318, probably JFK-LCY to avoid the SNN stopover east-west.

Regards,

BD
IIRC the BA1 service from London City to JFK enables clearing US customs and immigration at Shannon: on that basis it might be worth considering LCY-LHR on BA001 for the westward journey to avoid potential queues at JFK.

The BA001 has different seating to the usual BA business class seat (Google BA001 and images).

There seem to be differing aircraft types on the AA service: my understanding is the trick would be to choose one that shows 77W on the timetable to be assured of the new business class seat (maybe others can advise better on this...)....
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help all.
May look into going on BA1 then as LCY is only a 20 min drive away and return on AA to LHR.
Much appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If LCY is 20 mins away, it is definitely worth using BA1 . LCY is so much nicer an airport than Heathrow and the longer journey time is partly offset by the saving in getting to and through Heathrow

The change in Shannon is tedious but less than the hassle of getting to Heathrow
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by FJB2016
Thanks for your help all.
May look into going on BA1 then as LCY is only a 20 min drive away and return on AA to LHR.
Much appreciated.
Just a word of caution - from searches I have done for reward seats, they are easier to find on BA003: IIRC the BA003 flight later in the day does not enable US customs clearance at Shannon, thus negating arguably the primary benefit of that route.

Go for BA001 if you can!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Platy
Go for BA001 if you can!
Oh for the days when BA1/BA2 was on a much much faster aircraft and was available for around 100K QF FF points (return) - even though QF officially said they wouldn't book it.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by og
Oh for the days when BA1/BA2 was on a much much faster aircraft and was available for around 100K QF FF points (return) - even though QF officially said they wouldn't book it.
never did fly that bird - visited the factory and met the test pilot in the press tent at Farnborough as a kid...

...now OT...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.