Search

PER-LHR nonstop with 787 ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Platy
Economic news of the day...final demand in WA down 3.8% in the quarter and 10% in a year!

Presumably QF would be looking for some far more positive economic indicators before making any commitments (like $600 million, if anyone believes such a figure).

In the meantime, all the speculation of direct flights and references to 787s just provide yet more fuel for the good old QF PR machine...
Anybody prepared to bet that the PER-LHR flight will never happen?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
Um no - it is one of those bets where one can never win

I would be surprised if QF starts such a service
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jlsw7
I suppose, if one is going to have a layover of a few hours somewhere anyway, then it can be an advantage to have it in the destination country as the layover time can be used to clear immigration and customs rather than having to do it at the end of the journey. My experience of immigration and customs in Australia has always been pretty quick, but perhaps it isn't always like that, in which case there could be a time and hassle saving by arriving at the ultimate destination on a domestic flight.
If immigration isn't quick then it is better to have it at the final destination rather than having the last leg as domestic. I say this with plenty of experience in both types. With slow (or variable) times to clear immigration, it is a pain to have onward domestic flights - picking the right transfer time to not misconnect whilst also not being too long, running into schedule issues (such as airport curfews meaning your int-dom transit must be done within 90 minutes or you have a forced overnight), popular connecting flights being difficult or impossible to book last minute, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:21 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Um no - it is one of those bets where one can never win
What? You mean the QF passenger will never win?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
What? You mean the QF passenger will never win?
The bet "PER-LHR flight will never happen"

This is a bet that one could never win, though can lose

If the flight ever occurs, the bet is lost
In order to win the bet, need to wait an infinite period of time to prove it never happens

Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:17 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Back to the future:

Anybody prepared to bet that the PER-LHR flight as relentlessly discussed in this Thread will not eventuate in the next 10 years with 789 equipment with QF colours.

Over to you Dave...
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
If it is to happen QF want fares on sale by the end of this year.

If they can't come to an agreement it will be at least five years.

Another hurdle is that the pilots are refusing the crew rest as it's a bed and they can't sit upright. They are lobbying for 2 blocked J seats on each flight which QF clearly isn't going to approve.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
If it is to happen QF want fares on sale by the end of this year.

If they can't come to an agreement it will be at least five years.

Another hurdle is that the pilots are refusing the crew rest as it's a bed and they can't sit upright. They are lobbying for 2 blocked J seats on each flight which QF clearly isn't going to approve.
I do not know what Boeing offers on the 787 but I thought for these long haul flights they need a Class 1 Crew Rest area which is separated from the flight deck and cabin; contain bunks for sleeping that have sound and lighting isolation. Does anyone know if existing 787 have this in the crown, lower deck or adjacent to the cockpit? Any seat that can recline with some foot support (Class 3) can be used, it does not need to be Business Class lie flat with a curtain surrounding it (Class 2).
Ok google shows some images but in this one from Flight Global shows the crew rests in the crown.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
I believe that Air New Zealand 787s have a crew rest area similar to the one shown in your image. There are no centre storage areas for the first few J rows.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grov
I believe that Air New Zealand 787s have a crew rest area similar to the one shown in your image. There are no centre storage areas for the first few J rows.
IIRC UA's 789s are similar - at least on one side of the centre overheads. I understand some of the loss of passenger cabin overhead storage is to facilitate an escape system for the crew rest area.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Videos on youtube of the 787 tech crew rest show two wide bunks, and a seat (admittedly it looks a little tight)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:43 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moa999
Videos on youtube of the 787 tech crew rest show two wide bunks, and a seat (admittedly it looks a little tight)
I have rather good sources.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In other words, somewhere nice for crew family / friends to sit when they can't occupy cockpit jump seats
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Keep dreaming guys... But in my books, it will never ever happen in my life...
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Keep dreaming guys... But in my books, it will never ever happen in my life...
+1 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.