Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF12 from JFK to LAX always late. What is going on with this flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF12 from JFK to LAX always late. What is going on with this flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Himeno

I would try to get something moved. Likely the domestic NZ flights since you'll likely end up being rerouted via Australia.
I would have expected that the most likely situation would be that the passenger would be rebooked onto another service to LAX. No reason to add a huge detour via Australia

This would have to be a single ticketed itinerary since there is no chance that would have been able to book just JFK-LAX as a standalone flight on QF I would suspect

The OP's best move, I would suggest, is to try and get AA to rebook onto AA for the domestic leg or purchase a ticket to LAX and drop the domestic leg from the booking
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would have expected that the most likely situation would be that the passenger would be rebooked onto another service to LAX. No reason to add a huge detour via Australia
That would be ideal, however OP already said they had tried to change that and AA wasn't playing nice.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:12 am

That would be ideal, however OP already said they had tried to change that and AA wasn't playing nice.
once refused travel on QF, AA will be more likely to take the passenger despite availabilty for awards

The main issue I see though is the chance of missing the flight on TN onwards and , if it was me, If AA has no availability then I would buy a ticket to LAX on the cheapest carrier rather than risking connections on the day
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:33 am
Original Poster

There's a month and a half until our departure, so I'm going to try calling AA again.

And again. And again.....as necessary.

I think I have a more compelling case now. Last time I just said QF12 is usually late, I think I'm going to miss my connection.

I tried twice. One agent was totally unsympathetic. Another wanted to help, and disappeared for 15 minutes to talk to his superiors. He said they just wouldn't open up the seats right now - because the flight could still be on time.

One of the good things about AA is that you can make unlimited changes to award tickets as long as the origin and destination remain the same - free of charge. While availability is bad for JFK-LAX nonstops, periodically connecting flights will show up (PHX, DFW, ORD). Just yesterday there were 2 seats via PHX, but those are gone now. (We are a party of 4 - so that wouldn't have worked). Obviously, I'd prefer a nonstop, but connecting domestically is far better than routing 2,194 extra miles via Australia.

If we waited until the day of travel, even if we got to the airport when the Qantas desk opened several hours before the 6 pm departure, we might have difficulty getting to LAX in time for the 11:30 Tahiti Nui flight. An AA nonstop would obviously do the trick, but if those are sold out (which is entirely possible around President's Day) we might have trouble getting to LAX in time via a connecting flight.

Luckily for us, the onward Air NZ tickets we purchased are fully refundable - we bought flexi plus tickets to give us flexibility for unforseen contingencies.....though we were actually thinking about the possibility of a February snowstorm in the US interfering with our plans.

Last edited by Mr. S; Dec 25, 2015 at 4:53 am
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Update: 1st call to AA to try to re-book different JFK-LAX flight - no luck

According to AA, the ticket is 100% legal. They said that both Qantas and Air Tahiti Nui had to approve of the routing for this itinerary to have been ticketed. Since it got ticketed, it's therefore legal and they can't change it.....unless saver award seats are available.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. S

According to AA, the ticket is 100% legal. They said that both Qantas and Air Tahiti Nui had to approve of the routing for this itinerary to have been ticketed. Since it got ticketed, it's therefore legal and they can't change it.....unless saver award seats are available.
Well, I can only comment that I had a RTW booked via AA's RTW desk, ticketed and with BP HKG-LAX-JFK with HKG/LAX on CX connecting to QF and QF off-loaded me.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:57 pm

I am not surprised really that that is what AA has said. You have a ticketed itinerary that is legal. The issue is that QF seems to further restrict beyond that

Maybe QF will let you travel and all will be sweet, but I would look at ensuring to have backup plans. If getting to AKL as planned - if award availability on AA doesn't open, I would seriously consider removing the JFK-LAX flight from the booking and booking a separate ticket for that . Alternatively, you may find that you end up delayed getting to Auckland if no other flight to get you to LAX that day in time for the TN flight
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

It's a double whammy.

If Qantas lets me board, then I have to worry about QF 12's chronic delays.

If I were to cancel the JFK-LAX leg I would incur change fees - 4 X $150 + the cost of 4 one-way tickets from JFK-LAX - also another 4 X $150-$200.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:31 pm

I don't see that the potential delays are much to worry about at all, you have so long between the flights

The worrying thing is only the being allowed to board the QF flight I would say

Check whether you can drop the 1st sector of the award without penalty - I know that in some cases AA permits that without a $150 fee
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Update 2: Success!!! AA is re-booking us on a new AA flight from JFK-LAX.

I could tell I had a good agent....she searched the fine print and found the text that says that Qantas does not allow passage on this flight unless you are flying to Australia. She said the ticket should never have been booked as is, and that they would make this right for us.

Bottom Line: They are going to put us on an earlier AA flight from JFK to LAX. While there is nothing available at a saver level, they are talking to revenue management to open up space for us.

Thank you Dave Noble, elitetraveler, and Himeno for bringing this to my attention and for your helpful suggestions.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

I could tell I had a good agent....she searched the fine print and found the text that says that Qantas does not allow passage on this flight unless you are flying to Australia. She said the ticket should never have been booked as is, and that they would make this right for us.

Bottom Line: They are going to put us on an earlier AA flight from JFK to LAX. While there is nothing available at a saver level, they are talking to revenue management to open up space for us.

Thank you Dave Noble, elitetraveler, and Himeno for bringing this to my attention and for your helpful suggestions.
Great result, and thanks for posting how it went.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:09 pm

Good result.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: QFF

According to AA, the ticket is 100% legal. They said that both Qantas and Air Tahiti Nui had to approve of the routing for this itinerary to have been ticketed. Since it got ticketed, it's therefore legal and they can't change it.
The issue with this flight seems to be that the auto ticketing systems see that it is part of an international itinerary = meets DOT rules = valid route = ticket. The computer doesn't also check the extra notes on the flight and see that QF won't allow it without a QF flight to/from Australia. It's why so many people get QF LAX-JFK ticketed, then get moved to AA when a QF agent looks at it in person.

Good to see that AA fixed it.

It gets quite annoying at times that QF will allow something like QF93 MEL-LAX, stopover, QF11 LAX-JFK, but won't allow something like CX898 HKG-LAX connecting to QF11 even though DOT rules say it's fine.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:05 pm

The issue with this flight seems to be that the auto ticketing systems see that it is part of an international itinerary = meets DOT rules = valid route = ticket. The computer doesn't also check the extra notes on the flight and see that QF won't allow it without a QF flight to/from Australia. It's why so many people get QF LAX-JFK ticketed, then get moved to AA when a QF agent looks at it in person.

Good to see that AA fixed it.

It gets quite annoying at times that QF will allow something like QF93 MEL-LAX, stopover, QF11 LAX-JFK, but won't allow something like CX898 HKG-LAX connecting to QF11 even though DOT rules say it's fine.
The airline is allowed to put whatever restrictions in place that it wants - but the reservations systems should be updated not to allow such tickets to be priced.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...It gets quite annoying at times that QF will allow something like QF93 MEL-LAX, stopover, QF11 LAX-JFK, but won't allow something like CX898 HKG-LAX connecting to QF11 even though DOT rules say it's fine.
That is a direct result of UA filing numerous complaints with DOT for every connecting pax that QF carried even though they knew the complaint was invalid, but it would cost QF too much to defend it. Very sad that some airlines conduct business this way. I make a point of avoiding flying on UA because of this predatory behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.