Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Gold and baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Qantas Gold and baggage allowance

Am QF Gold and flying ADL-SYD-AKL soon in economy.
Qantas website states 46kg for the international and 2pc up to 32kg each (64kg) for domestic. Im assuming the international allowance takes precedence? (a pity as it is not as generous)

To my question, anyone know how lenient the QF check in agents are on this for a Gold member? I'll be travelling 'heavy' with at least 50kg, probably closer to 55 or 60kg of checked baggage. Wondering whether there is a good chance they will let it go or if it would be worthwhile pre booking extra baggage online, or even upgrading to business.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Note: that if you have purchased international flights and domestic flights and these are on the same ticket, the international checked baggage allowances apply to the domestic flights too.

See: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...-south-america

I have not found QF to be very lenient, so I would either prepay the extra or upgrade.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you expect to exceed the allowance , I would suggest purchasing additional allowance ahead of travel

$70 for 5Kg vs $20 per 1Kg at the airport

Given that the airline sells excess allowances online, I would be surprised if it was too keen to discourage purchase by not charging at the airport
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: QF WP / LTG
The weight of each piece is recorded in the system now and it will automatically prompt the check in agent to charge for excess baggage. You may get away with 2-3kg extra but not 15kg.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
On a purely international flight (LHR - MEL) I am allowed 70kgs as WP in F. Is there any restriction on the number of pieces this translates in to? I have a number of presents that are well packed so I don't really want to bring a suitcase for them. Would six pieces raise any eyebrows if total weight was under 70kgs and no piece heaver than 32kgs?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Jase76
On a purely international flight (LHR - MEL) I am allowed 70kgs as WP in F. Is there any restriction on the number of pieces this translates in to? I have a number of presents that are well packed so I don't really want to bring a suitcase for them. Would six pieces raise any eyebrows if total weight was under 70kgs and no piece heaver than 32kgs?
No problem -- there is no restriction on number of pieces, you could check in 70 if they were all 1kg Only condition is that they are packed fit for transport (boxes are fine). I once checked in 12 pieces for a flight, QF didn't rasie any eyebrows and it went smoothly.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by number_6
No problem -- there is no restriction on number of pieces, you could check in 70 if they were all 1kg Only condition is that they are packed fit for transport (boxes are fine). I once checked in 12 pieces for a flight, QF didn't rasie any eyebrows and it went smoothly.
Perfect, thanks. Makes packing a lot easier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.