Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QANTAS Dynamic Currency Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by madrooster
Commbank, ANZ and NAB charge a foreign transaction fee on foreign merchants charging AUD amounts, on all cards (Visa/MC/Amex).

Westpac charge the fee on their Visa/MC cards only, but NOT their Amex cards.

Amex cards directly issued by Amex also do not have a fee on foreign merchants charging AUD amounts.
And the Woolworths/Qantas VISA card recently changed its T&Cs to charge tit as well
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: QF WP
The selection only appears after the credit card number has been entered, as an additional line in the web page - very easy to miss.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Dave,

First, as others have correctly pointed out, although a few banks waive or discount their FTFs on incoming transactions, the large majority don’t: the buyer pays *both* the DCC fee and the credit card’s own FTF.

Second, if I understand you correctly, that Qantas presents a difficult-to-notice window in which DCC is checked by default and it is up to the buyer to check the other options, it is a blatant violation of several Visa rules:

*The offer must be “clear and conspicuous”

*An “active choice” by the buyer is required; the vendor is specifically barred from checking the accept checkbox by itself;

*Any method that requires the buyer to “opt out” of DCC is prohibited,

*Vendor may “NOT impose any additional requirements on the Cardholder to have the Transaction processed in the local currency”

*Vendor may “NOT use any language or procedures that may cause the Cardholder to choose Dynamic Currency Conversion by default.”

Unfortunately the OP is basically SOL, if he files a chargeback for the conversion Visa will probably just give it to him for goodwill, make a note that he is a troublesome customer, and Qantas will never know anything about it.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by MChevreul
Unfortunately the OP is basically SOL, if he files a chargeback for the conversion Visa will probably just give it to him for goodwill, make a note that he is a troublesome customer, and Qantas will never know anything about it.
Can you please expand on the "troublesome customer". Is this an industry "black list" that people can find themselves on? If it is indeed a "list", can be shared across institutions and used to favour / unfavourable customers? What sort of additional things does someone have to do to get on the list - or indeed be removed from the list?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Commbank, ANZ and NAB charge a foreign transaction fee on foreign merchants charging AUD amounts, on all cards (Visa/MC/Amex).

Westpac charge the fee on their Visa/MC cards only, but NOT their Amex cards.

Amex cards directly issued by Amex also do not have a fee on foreign merchants charging AUD amounts.
I can confirm the additional charge by ANZ.

Purchased from a HK based company on line. It was marketing to Australia and showed priced only in AUD. Charge came through as AUD+surcharge.

However ANZ was pretty good about it - they refunded the few extra dollars on the spot during my phone call to them.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by og
Can you please expand on the "troublesome customer". Is this an industry "black list" that people can find themselves on? If it is indeed a "list", can be shared across institutions and used to favour / unfavourable customers? What sort of additional things does someone have to do to get on the list - or indeed be removed from the list?
I have no information about this, and how the credit card companies rate their cardholders is known to be complex. I surmise that if one uses obscenities to or otherwise behaves inappropriately to the CSR, or is constantly quibbling over small matters, this is likely to be held against one in one way or another. I further surmise that requesting chargebacks that are so small that the company will simply honor them at its own expense without bothering the merchant, is another way to annoy the company.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I have no information about this, and how the credit card companies rate their cardholders is known to be complex. I surmise that if one uses obscenities to or otherwise behaves inappropriately to the CSR, or is constantly quibbling over small matters, this is likely to be held against one in one way or another. I further surmise that requesting chargebacks that are so small that the company will simply honor them at its own expense without bothering the merchant, is another way to annoy the company.
DCC is interesting. Apparently in China (where the practice is common), the 'profit' is shared between the merchant and the bank. Don't know exactly how it works in other countries, but assume there is some split between the two of them.

The only person that generally (not always) loses is the customer.

I don't think catching out the merchant and/or the bank and complaining is going to get a bad mark against your name. Of course one should never use obscenities.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Actually, Visa will do no such thing. Your interactions would be with your bank, who will handle the customer interaction, chargeback process, and decision. They certainly aren't going to "make a note that you're a troublesome customer" because you're their customer, and you give them money.

There is a specific chargeback code for transactions where DCC was improperly offered, and actually charging back against this code would attract the attention of Visa - not against the customer, but the merchant. They are not fond of merchants fostering distrust in the system by breaking the rules.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
Actually, Visa will do no such thing. Your interactions would be with your bank, who will handle the customer interaction, chargeback process, and decision. They certainly aren't going to "make a note that you're a troublesome customer" because you're their customer, and you give them money.

There is a specific chargeback code for transactions where DCC was improperly offered, and actually charging back against this code would attract the attention of Visa - not against the customer, but the merchant. They are not fond of merchants fostering distrust in the system by breaking the rules.
There are several examples of issuers refusing to chargeback on flyertalk, e.g.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-rates-7.html
(cardholder who is sick and tired of being force-DCCd in Ireland and jumps through lots of hoops to get other vendors to withdraw it, pulls the same stunt at a Burger King on a transaction of about $10; they refuse to back off, so he files a chargeback for 45 cents. The card issuer, as I said, simply issued a 45-cent credit and refused to make the chargeback. Burger King and Visa never even knew it happened.

And yes, I definitely assume, without personal knowledge, that raising a big issue over 45 cents would get this guy a negative notation in the issuer's file.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Qantas did some Javascript coding to opt you into DCC once it detects you're paying with a non-EU card. I managed to get opted in using a HKD card:

(Original price) http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito..._480742249.jpg
(DCC opted in - I didn't select it) http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito..._744282399.jpg

This is non-compliant with the VIOR http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...er-thread.html which states merchants shouldn't opt people in. OP can charge back Qantas based in these screenshots.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 3, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
This makes sense in this scenario, because Amex doesn't allow DCC at all. The simplest way to avoid the DCC scam is to use Amex.

One you have been DCC'd, enter a Reason Code 76 chargeback with your bank. (My experience with Chase in the USA was that they simply issued a credit of the difference within a day or two. Other banks may behave differently, of course.)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by percysmith
Qantas did some Javascript coding to opt you into DCC once it detects you're paying with a non-EU card. I managed to get opted in using a HKD card:

(Original price) http://m.hongkongcard.com/webeditor/..._480742249.jpg
(DCC opted in - I didn't select it) http://m.hongkongcard.com/webeditor/..._744282399.jpg

This is non-compliant with the VIOR http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...er-thread.html which states merchants shouldn't opt people in. OP can charge back Qantas based in these screenshots.
I don't think I would be trying to use an FT thread as evidence to support a claim

Also, "shouldn't" doesn't have the same meaning as "must not"

I would be wanting some definitive statement from the card company
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:29 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
To add clarity Visa's customers are the Issuing and Acquiring banks and in some large cases the merchants. The card holder is simply a member of the 5 party payments ecosystem. Due to Know your customer regulations neither Visa or MasterCard wants a direct customer relationship with a card holder
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:53 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think I would be trying to use an FT thread as evidence to support a claim

Also, "shouldn't" doesn't have the same meaning as "must not"

I would be wanting some definitive statement from the card company
Maybe different in OP's jurisdiction but in HK the definitive statement from the card companies is to go to hell with chargebacks. Until we start writing to the HK Monetary Authority stating the relevant parts of the Visa International Operating Regulations/Mastercard Chargeback Guide the bank should have complied with. In the case of VIOR, being (page 462) (Visa used must not BTW):

Dynamic Currency Conversion

Dynamic Currency Conversion – Merchant Requirements

Dynamic Currency Conversion Merchant Requirements

A Merchant offering Dynamic Currency Conversion must:

• Be registered with Visa and use a solution that has been certified by Visa as compliant with the Visa International Operating Regulations, as specified in the International Transactions Guide
• Inform the Cardholder that Dynamic Currency Conversion is optional
• Effective 19 October 2013, offer Dynamic Currency Conversion in the Cardholder Billing Currency
• Not impose any additional requirements on the Cardholder to have the Transaction processed in the local currency
• Not use any language or procedures that may cause the Cardholder to choose Dynamic Currency Conversion by default
• Not misrepresent, either explicitly or implicitly, that its Dynamic Currency Conversion service is a Visa service
(Failure to comply with this means OP can ask bank to chargeback under Reason Code 76. Any reluctance on the bank's part should be taken up with regulator.)
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by percysmith
Maybe different in OP's jurisdiction but in HK the definitive statement from the card companies is to go to hell with chargebacks. Until we start writing to the HK Monetary Authority stating the relevant parts of the Visa International Operating Regulations/Mastercard Chargeback Guide the bank should have complied with. In the case of VIOR, being (page 462) (Visa used must not BTW):

(Failure to comply with this means OP can ask bank to chargeback under Reason Code 76. Any reluctance on the bank's part should be taken up with regulator.)
The regulator won't care. The operating rules set by the acquiring networks is not law, merely a contract between the network and the issuer. You need to contact the network (Visa, MasterCard, Diner's Club, American Express, Discover) with your complaint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.