Woolies thinks QF is on the nose

Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How it works only matters if you are someone that is letting the scheme determine your shopping rather than just collecting points based on shopping performed

If avoiding letting Woolworth's try and tell you what to buy , there is no complexity at all
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Even if it was any good, customers are notorious for walking away from a proposition they don't understand. It's just too complicated.

Look what happened after "Simpler and Fairer" - no-one has a clue how it works. The impact has taken a while to unfold as QFF elites slowly ran down their status. And one year later, status gone, these former high-volume customers altogether stop booking QF. And the poor airline has to issue a profit warning,
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:13 pm

Given that all someone who is interested in the scheme needs to do is to present card at checkout time, it is hardly complicated

Where is the evidence that people have ceased travelling with Qantas due to the change in the FF earnings?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that all someone who is interested in the scheme needs to do is to present card at checkout time, it is hardly complicated
The issue (for Woolworths) was that people worked out really quickly that they weren't actually getting anything for handing their card over.

But that is not an issue with Qantas Points, it's just that the program is poor.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Where is the evidence that people have ceased travelling with Qantas due to the change in the FF earnings?
airlines hide such information, but the rise in offers of double status points might qualify. But of course that was QF's Simpler/Fairer devaluation of QFF, which I believe is what the post was talking about.

the consequences for woolworths, if any, of changing their checkout card scheme will be people buying less and using aldi or coles more. as you imply, no one's choosing an airline based solely on the grocery tie in.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
airlines hide such information, but the rise in offers of double status points might qualify. But of course that was QF's Simpler/Fairer devaluation of QFF, which I believe is what the post was talking about.

the consequences for woolworths, if any, of changing their checkout card scheme will be people buying less and using aldi or coles more. as you imply, no one's choosing an airline based solely on the grocery tie in.
When I go to a supermarket, I go to purchase the goods I need - I do not purchase based on what a rebate scheme might give me. I would think it odd if overall purchases are reduced. If another supermarket's prices are better for same items, if equally conveniant, makes sense to go there; conversely it would make no sense to go to another supermarket and pay more

I was referring to the assertion that Qantas's change to its scheme has caused those with status to let it lapse and asking for evidence to confirm the assertion
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: QFF
There are 5 Woolworths, 2 Coles, 3 Aldi and 2 IGA stores within 10-15 minutes drive from home. 3 of the Woolworths and 1 Aldi are the closest, yet my parents go to the Coles/Aldi paring that is the furthest away to do the major shop, despite having a Woolworths staff discount.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
There are 5 Woolworths, 2 Coles, 3 Aldi and 2 IGA stores within 10-15 minutes drive from home. 3 of the Woolworths and 1 Aldi are the closest, yet my parents go to the Coles/Aldi paring that is the furthest away to do the major shop, despite having a Woolworths staff discount.
Does the local Woolworths have the items that they want to buy? If not, is Coles that much cheaper than Woolworths with a staff discount?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
More backflips than our elected leaders: Seems Woolies thinks QF is no longer "on the nose" - as reported in ABT:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/woolworths-b...s-for-shoppers
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Some official details of the changes coming Aug 31.

https://www.woolworthsrewards.com.au/how-it-works/
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
And from the FAQ Page
How can I earn Qantas Points?

From 31 August 2016 as a member of Woolworths Rewards, you earn Woolworths points. You can also choose to convert your savings to Qantas Points, which are part of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.

If you choose this reward, each $10 Woolworths Dollar saving you've earned will be converted into 870 Qantas Points and transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account on 15 December 2016. Every 2000 points you earn = $10 Woolworths Dollars = 870 Qantas Points.

To choose this reward on or after 31 August 2016:

* Login to woolworthsrewards.com.au * Select 'My Account'

* Select 'Redemption Settings' and follow the prompts to choose 'Qantas Points'
So spend $2,000 and earn 2,000 Woolies points, which convert to 870 QFF points
Didn't it use to be 1 QFF Point per $1 spend over $30 in one transaction?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth
And from the FAQ Page
Didn't it use to be 1 QFF Point per $1 spend over $30 in one transaction?
It was - but (as mentioned earlier) $2000 spend, depending on the spend pattern, could net a lot less than 870 FF points ; anything from zero to 1970 points depending on spend

Average spend of approx $53 or lower would have netted less than 870 miles over $2000 spend.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by pandaperth
And from the FAQ Page
So you need to spend $20,000 at Woolworths to earn enough points for a SYD-MEL one-way flight in Y? While handing over all your purchasing data over to Woolworths? No thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:17 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
So you need to spend $20,000 at Woolworths to earn enough points for a SYD-MEL one-way flight in Y? While handing over all your purchasing data over to Woolworths? No thanks.
I'm only interested in the 4c/litre petrol discount. Useful if in the right place at the right time. I only swipe my orange card if I anticipate needing the discount. And that's only a minimum $30 spend. If they try to profile me through my recorded spend, they'll get some bizarre statistics.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
With the original Woolworths Loyalty programme $2000 spent at an average weekly shop of $120 would have earned around 1500 QFF points. Under the new plan a shopper will earn 870 points QFF. So it's a good cost-saving for Woolworths unless customers become a bit less loyal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.