Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD Dom-Intl Conx and Express Pass question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD Dom-Intl Conx and Express Pass question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Perth gave me an express card for syd which was great! (They hadn't given me one for MEL previously but I will ask in future). Bags checked through but they couldn't give me a boarding pass for LAN because their check in hadn't opened yet so had a wee wait at syd LAN counters. I didn't realise I could have just used the service desk. All in all a leisurely 35 min? Better than expected! Syd security slightly painful but LANs dreamliner more than made up for that.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:02 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
SYD security slightly painful but LANs dreamliner more than made up for that.
SYD T1 security consistently reminds me of the worst experiences I've had with the TSA. I don't know why they have to create such an unpleasant experience for pax - who after all are "customers" - and not "the enemy". In contrast, T3 security is quite pleasant - even enjoyable when there is friendly banter with the operators.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Better than expected!
Plan for the worse, enjoy the actual experience ... my mantra!!

Good to hear all went well.

Regards,

BD
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by og
SYD T1 security consistently reminds me of the worst experiences I've had with the TSA. I don't know why they have to create such an unpleasant experience for pax - who after all are "customers" - and not "the enemy". In contrast, T3 security is quite pleasant - even enjoyable when there is friendly banter with the operators.
I think the discussion over syd security wouldn't be productive I will say though I got chased down for my express pass but I actually still have my departure card! Priorities?

Originally Posted by BD1959
Plan for the worse, enjoy the actual experience ... my mantra!!

Good to hear all went well.

Regards,

BD
I'm with you on the mantra thing. I think all those school holiday kids actually kept their parents in bed longer at that time of the morning - at least that's my explanation for me cruising through. Have to admit I've generally tried to avoid SYD.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the discussion over syd security wouldn't be productive I will say though I got chased down for my express pass but I actually still have my departure card! Priorities.........
Security are not Customs / Immigration officers. There are significantly fewer iMmigration staff at departures (in SYD) now that the electronic gates are operating. It's only a matter of time before the green cards are a thing of the past - there's nobody to check they have been filled in or indeed whether they have been deposited in the box (which looks much like a rubbish bin).
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've always found the Express Path staff to be extremely careful at letting folks through. They are desperate to get their hands on an Express Pass invitation before they let you line up. Next to where they stand there is a little book case thing where they put all the passes you hand them. I am sure they would know If you were trying to use an old pass.

On a trip to Singapore I had a DYKWIA moment at the Express Pass queue (apologies to all for my behaviour!). I momentarily couldn't find my pass despite having my Suites boarding pass and 1 pass for my husband. Despite there being nobody in the priority queue, I was told I had to go over to the huge line with the economy passengers. I pointed out my boarding pass and said I was Suites and was able to use the priority queue. After she refused to let me through she eventually relented. 5 steps past the checkpoint I found my pass and called out that I had found it.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by og
It's only a matter of time before the green cards are a thing of the past - there's nobody to check they have been filled in or indeed whether they have been deposited in the box (which looks much like a rubbish bin).
What bin? Where abouts in the departure process is it?
(I was functioning more like the walking dead so wasn't very observant).
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What bin? Where abouts in the departure process is it?
(I was functioning more like the walking dead so wasn't very observant).
Two weeks ago the box was immediately after the electronic (outwards) immigration gates. To me it looked more like a home-made bin that receives evaluation questionnaires. Certainly not "official looking". But there was nobody guarding it and certainly no one insisting the green cards were deposited in it.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by og
Two weeks ago the box was immediately after the electronic (outwards) immigration gates. To me it looked more like a home-made bin that receives evaluation questionnaires. Certainly not "official looking". But there was nobody guarding it and certainly no one insisting the green cards were deposited in it.
Funny. I'll look for it next time. Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
In MEL, it's been just a cardboard box on the floor near the exit ... signed by being half full of these forms already ...
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: QFF
The last 2 times I've exited SYD (11th Oct and 17th Sep), I was given express departure cards when checking in at CBR. The express card was not checked or asked for. Neither was the express arrival card on the return of the Sep trip.

The departure card was placed in the new bin behind the e-gates. On the 17th, there was no one watching it, just someone at the desk calling out to drop the cards there. On the 11th, there were 2 people near the bin making sure cards were dropped in it.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My thought 2 weeks ago was that security and people collecting express cards outnumbered immigration staff by 2:1. Previously is was the other way round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.