Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Elite
Flying DFW>SYD on 8/31.

Hoping to try this out, willing to bid upto $1k if I get the chance.
Never flown J in a A380 yet so I wouldn't mind the chance.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
Flew in PE wasn't offered a chance to bid on the way there LAX > SYD but got an offer to bid on the way back to the states SYD > LAX. I bid around $600 and won the upgrade from PE to J. This was on the very low end of the spectrum.

Note I was flying back on a Wednesday and surprisingly business class was completely full on my flight and so was first. The flight also on the way to SYD was full hence no offer to bid.
You will have the most luck on a bidding upgrade being successful when leaving OZ and if you already have a PE ticket.

Last edited by PandaSoPink; Jul 19, 2017 at 6:10 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:30 am

What is it worth to bid for AKL-MEL (4 hours)?

All cash - range is $240 to $720

Not even sure what currency, I booked from Australia, I think I booked in AUD. I am from US though.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have a flight LHR to MEL via DXB in a couple of months. IF I get invited to bid, will it be for the whole flight or by each sector i.e. LHR to DXB then DXB to MEL
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines
How to check loadings

How do I check loadings for a particular Qantas flight if I want gauge potential for an upgrade?

Originally Posted by Slotski
I have a flight LHR to MEL via DXB in a couple of months. IF I get invited to bid, will it be for the whole flight or by each sector i.e. LHR to DXB then DXB to MEL
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
What is it worth to bid for AKL-MEL (4 hours)?

All cash - range is $240 to $720

Not even sure what currency, I booked from Australia, I think I booked in AUD. I am from US though.
Maybe $100 is worthwhile, presuming your flight is on B737 ... so J is like the AA domestic F seat and you get nice food and wine but not much else (upgrade doesn't earn J miles). It isn't like EK F
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Anyone got data points for bidding JNB-SYD, PE to J?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Hi all, i'm (planning on) flying from DFW>MEL on 11/7 and i've got a few question on upgrading.

Currently the fare i'm looking at is Regular Economy Safer (L, fee on changes/cancellations)

When looking at the data from expert flying for the first leg of the trip (QF 8 to SYD):
Code:
F6 A6 P0 J6 C6 D5 I0 U0 W0 R0 T0 Z0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0
There still are Business Class seats available (J/C/D)
If i understand correctly J is the class that you upgrade to, now, my question is: are you allowed to upgrade from L class, or should i book a Flex ticket (not sure what class that is) to be able to upgrade to J?

Last edited by stjreijn; Oct 12, 2017 at 5:01 am
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by stjreijn
...There still are Business Class seats available (J/C/D)
If i understand correctly J is the class that you upgrade to, now, my question is: are you allowed to upgrade from L class, or should i book a Flex ticket (not sure what class that is) to be able to upgrade to J?
Most discounted economy fares including most L fares are not upgradable; you can check the ticket conditions before you buy, it specifies if upgradable or not. The upgradable economy fare is likely to cost $1000 more than your sale fare. Chance of upgrade at J6 is slim without WP status, fwiw (I'd estimate 20% chance but your guess is as good as mine).
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
Most discounted economy fares including most L fares are not upgradable; you can check the ticket conditions before you buy, it specifies if upgradable or not. ...
With QFF, L class is certainly upgradeable with points.

The only fare buckets generally no so upgradable are N, O & Q on international flights.

https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...business-class
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Maybe $100 is worthwhile, presuming your flight is on B737 ... so J is like the AA domestic F seat and you get nice food and wine but not much else (upgrade doesn't earn J miles). It isn't like EK F
Yes – JQ, QF and VA seem to treat the short hops East coast to AKL legs as a domestic fare, as far as service offerings go. Or at least, this is the case in their B737 and A320 aircraft.

EK F would be very much a different experience, however!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
just got an upgrade Mel-std, no cash but 3000 points

It was the lowest I was allowed to bid on the sliding scale , it was upgraded at check in

Nice little check in surprise
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Wow that was cheap to Mayo Guerrero Airport (STD).

Typo for SYD I guess...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Wow that was cheap to Mayo Guerrero Airport (STD).

Typo for SYD I guess...
Or it was just a bad night out in MEL ..
Catweazle likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: QF, HH
...And given that you can score a J fare for $700 anyway, one way (at least on LAN or EK when there's a sale), it doesn't seem worth it for much more. But that just comes down to personal opinion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.