Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF for status, AA for miles accrual?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
QF for status, AA for miles accrual?

I'm trying to complete a status challenge for American that my company sponsored.

Can I keep (and be recognised) as Platinum One on the flight manifest, but have my points accrue to American?

*A airlines can do this (for PPS with SQ, or AirPoints with NZ). Is there such a facility in OneWorld?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Lots of past discussion on this with conflicting reports. My own experience is that it is possible, the booking system used by QF can hold 2 different FF numbers in the PNR for precisely this purpose (1 for accrual, 1 for status). Catch is that many (most?) staff are not familiar with this and often the wrong field is used esp. if there are any last-minute changes. I have done it successfully for several flights, and had it go wrong several times, who knows what your luck will be. When it goes wrong, generally impossible to correct So if you really care about AA status challenge, best to just have the AA number in and use your P1 card for status. Or deal only with the P1 line who should be able to handle this.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
I'm trying to complete a status challenge for American that my company sponsored.

Can I keep (and be recognised) as Platinum One on the flight manifest, but have my points accrue to American?

*A airlines can do this (for PPS with SQ, or AirPoints with NZ). Is there such a facility in OneWorld?
As number_6 points out - technically 'yes', but practically you can run in to all sorts of problems, and probably not worth the risk if you really need the credit to AA.

you can still get the benefits of P1 by producing your card for ground services, but depending on class of travel you might miss some benefits in the air. .
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Well with AA, it is actually much "simpler and fairer".

In the reservation I use the OW FF program with the most status. I do whatever I need to do. At T-24 most of the real issues disappear, like seat selection. So at check-in (or at the gate with CX) I change to the FF program that I want the mileage/points credited.

I can't think of any "in the air" benefits that I might miss which have serious value to me (eg purser's greeting)

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As number_6 points out - technically 'yes', but practically you can run in to all sorts of problems, and probably not worth the risk if you really need the credit to AA.

you can still get the benefits of P1 by producing your card for ground services, but depending on class of travel you might miss some benefits in the air. .
I know that I might miss OpUps last minute.
But in J, what's the difference between AA ExecPlat and QF Platinum 1? (A greeting? Meal order?)
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
But in J, what's the difference between AA ExecPlat and QF Platinum 1? (A greeting? Meal order?)
In biz class - probably not much of a difference. I don't think meal order is as much an issue on QF as some US based carriers, and in any event you can pre-order meals on many QF international flights these days. On domestic flights they will start at the front of the cabin and work towards the rear.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've had the F wines served when I'm flying in J but not as EXP, otherwise there isn't much else that they can do.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
I've had the F wines served when I'm flying in J but not as EXP, otherwise there isn't much else that they can do.
I've seen friends of the cabin crew served wines brought from the F galley while everyone else in the J cabin waited another hour for any bar service. So, no special service for me as a WP ( and obviously not friends with that cabin crew ). And, really, I wouldn't expect any other level of service to what everyone else got / gets in the cabin.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:05 am

I've had occasions when a flight I wanted to credit to AA was instead credited to QF. Each time I was able to sort it out by first getting QF to reverse the credit and then claiming them with AA.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tauphi
I've had occasions when a flight I wanted to credit to AA was instead credited to QF. Each time I was able to sort it out by first getting QF to reverse the credit and then claiming them with AA.
Sounds risky.

Will go the EXP route and see how I travel. I'm probably going to sleep most of the way, anyway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.