Where to see miles expiration date?

Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon

I cannot possibly make this up! Unbelievable!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r!!!
I agree ... unbelievable!

(My daughter did call and ask in regard to her son late last year and had no trouble with getting this information. However, with the rfecent centralization of the call centre to Hobart I believe there has been a huge loss of experience)

Until a year ago, maybe 20 months, as already indicated, the expiry or last activity month would be shown online.

With such obfuscation, I have come to the conclusion as per post 3.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Qantas will let you know in one of those if your points are about to expire... but... apparently the warning is not that easy to find... like it's somewhere near then end. So keep an eye out. (It's not like AA where they send you multiple explicit emails warning you that your miles are about to expire.)....
QF actually send you an email advising that points will expire. In this case, expiry will be in 7 weeks.

Dear xxxx,
Your Qantas Points are due to expire
A review of your Frequent Flyer account indicates that your last point activity was in Mar 2014. Therefore, we'd like to remind you that you have xxx Qantas Points due to expire on 30 Sep 2015.* So, to avoid losing them, make sure you earn or redeem Qantas Points before 30 Sep 2015.
Please also note that if you receive a transfer of Qantas Points into your account from a family member before 30 Sep 2015, these transferred points will also expire on 30 Sep 2015 if you do not earn or redeem points before that date.
Visit www.qantas.com/pointsexpiry for more information.
We value your support and encourage you to participate in the Frequent Flyer program so that your Qantas Points don't expire.
Yours sincerely,
The Qantas Frequent Flyer Team
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og
QF actually send you an email advising that points will expire. In this case, expiry will be in 7 weeks.

Dear xxxx,
Your Qantas Points are due to expire
A review of your Frequent Flyer account indicates that your last point activity was in Mar 2014. Therefore, we'd like to remind you that you have xxx Qantas Points due to expire on 30 Sep 2015.* So, to avoid losing them, make sure you earn or redeem Qantas Points before 30 Sep 2015.
Please also note that if you receive a transfer of Qantas Points into your account from a family member before 30 Sep 2015, these transferred points will also expire on 30 Sep 2015 if you do not earn or redeem points before that date.
Visit www.qantas.com/pointsexpiry for more information.
We value your support and encourage you to participate in the Frequent Flyer program so that your Qantas Points don't expire.
Yours sincerely,
The Qantas Frequent Flyer Team
That's good news. This looks like a new initiative, and isn't contained in the QFFF terms and conditions (which have been applied and relied on, by QF, until recently).

The Ts and Cs say only this (a), (b), and (c):

9.2.2 All Points held in a Qantas Frequent Flyer account of a non-Active Member will expire at midnight Sydney, Australia time at the end of the 18th consecutive month for which the Member has not earned Points or Status Credits or redeemed Points (excluding any transfer of Points to or from an Eligible Family Member and excluding any conversion of Points from Aquire). For this purpose, Points earned in relation to Eligible Flights are deemed to be earned on the date the Eligible Flight was taken. Within 60 days of the Points expiration date, Qantas Loyalty will notify Members of the number of Points that are about to expire and the expiration date as follows:
(a) Online activity statements display a warning to the Member;
(b) Members who continue to receive paper activity statements, will receive an activity statement which includes a notification that Points are about to expire; and
(c) Members who have opted to receive communications online and via email, will receive a notification within their monthly electronic newsletter.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:27 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good news. By all accounts that is a new initiative.
Now to walk up to Woolies to buy $31 of groceries for a friend...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
This looks like a new initiative ...
The first time I saw one of these emails was in April 2012.

Although that's probably "new" against the perspective of QF's overall history.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The first time I saw one of these emails was in April 2012.

Although that's probably "new" against the perspective of QF's overall history.
There have been several threads in other places about the loss of points due to expiry... none of those cases received an email, and the consensus has been that QF follows their terms and conditions regarding notification.

Those cases are as recent as last year. So that raises the issue of whether emails are only sent in selected cases, or whether the emails have not been received.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So that raises the issue of whether emails are only sent in selected cases, or whether the emails have not been received.
There are at least three other possibilities: the emails were received but automatically filed in the spam folder and never noticed; the emails were received but not read; or the emails were received and read and then forgotten about until it was too late.

This being the Internet, we will never know the truth in each case.

At any rate, these emails are not new, even if there has been a hiatus in the sending of them (about which we are probably also unlikely to discover the truth).
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
$31 at Woollies only gives 1 point, ...
How about the QF search bar, ...
No need to spend $31!
Just search bar it.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
No need to spend $31!
Just search bar it.
31 = 1 point. Correct. Only one point is needed and I will need the groceries
I don't want the QF search bar.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
No need to spend $31!
Just search bar it.
To guarantee that to work you need a (lead) time frame of at least two months. It takes up to 8 weeks for the point to post.

Woolies is quicker ...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF Silver
There's always the old family transfer to get some activity on your account. Just transfer 1 point to a relo or get 1 point from a relo.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlegreenman
There's always the old family transfer to get some activity on your account. Just transfer 1 point to a relo or get 1 point from a relo.
Unfortunately not possible. Minimum points transfer is 5000 points, and family transfers do not count as activity to extend the life of miles either from the outgoing account, or the receiving account.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlegreenman
QF specifically addressed this in their message that I posted above.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have just noticed that my Activity Statement now says this:-
Note: xxx,xxx points will expire if you do not earn or use points before 31 Jan 2016.
The bolding is original. And this follows the "imminent expiry" email which I was sent at the beginning of December (so just under two months' notice).

Just waiting now for some Comair points to post, which are being frustratingly slow this time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.