Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Two travelers, one in coach and another in business/first sharing time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP GOLD, Delta Medallion Gold
Originally Posted by BD1959
QF will also be offering SFO-SYD from December.

mikmort: when are you looking to travel? (Surprised no-one has asked)

Regards,

BD

I'm looking to travel in May 2016. SYD-SFO would be perfect, as Seattle is actually my home. I've already booked the outbound flight from SEA->LAX->BNE with 2 business class seats. Now I'm looking to book the return flight, which I'll do in the next couple of days (I'm using Alaska air miles and the window is 330 days).

It doesn't appear that it is possible to book SYD->SFO at this moment. Does anyone have any guesses on when you will be able to book? When it does happen, is it typical that seats will be opened to be booked with miles at the same time?

I presume the worst case is that I could book economy on SYD->LAX, and then if SYD->SFO works out I could always cancel the former? I'm an Alaska MVP Gold, so I don't think there is any change fee.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Especially if you start out with the "wrong" person in First. Then, if you change and are 'busted', you need to correct it to what was ticketed.

(partially tongue in cheek)

OP Consider that AA may start offering this route next year. Also consider DFW-SYD, they release more seats on those flights. LAX-SYD I only have ever seen one F seat released on any flight. Thoughtful.
Thanks! I looked at SYD->DFW and while there is plenty of economy availability I see literally no J availability and only one seat in F for a couple of flights 330+ days out.

The AA flight is definitely something to look at.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
On QF 1 person can certainly buy 2 seats or 2 people buy 3 seats, but you can't do it online, you have to make the booking by phone.
I did it ADL - SYD - WLG and back, following the advice as was on here or AFF.
I got 2 for 1, and the other person in 4C and 7D also gain, SYD - WLG and WLG - SYD by not having someone in B/E.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by mikmort
It doesn't appear that it is possible to book SYD->SFO at this moment. Does anyone have any guesses on when you will be able to book? When it does happen, is it typical that seats will be opened to be booked with miles at the same time?
My guess is that neither will open until regulatory approval has been granted. Government bodies ... who knows how long that will take.

You could always set up an award alert in ExpertFlyer. It may be a premium (paid) service - but well worth it to get to the front of the queue.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
My guess is that neither will open until regulatory approval has been granted. Government bodies ... who knows how long that will take.

You could always set up an award alert in ExpertFlyer. It may be a premium (paid) service - but well worth it to get to the front of the queue.

Regards,

BD
We ended up booking two separate flights from SYD->LAX. One ticket is F on Qantas and the other is J on Fiji Airways with stop in NAN. Certainly not ideal to not be flying together, but better than being coach for the long haul.

Thanks for the tip on ExpertFlyer! If seats do open up between SYD->SFO this would be ideal.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, QF, UA

Coach isn't that bad. If our kids can handle it over the years so can any adult.

We (family of 4) fly DFW-SYD every year and never had a problem in coach. Qantas planes are clean and the FAs are great. We always fly together except when my wife has more vacation time then me. I will then follow a week later (or leave earlier). The only time we booked an extra seat was when they were babies so instead of holding them the entire time we just stuck them in a car seat.

We used to fly United and once we switched we never looked back.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by mikmort
If seats do open up between SYD->SFO this would be ideal.
SFO/SYD now on sale. AFF reporting lots of J Award availability.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by thx10
Coach isn't that bad. .
Hell yeah it is!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.