Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

New to FF programs - which one? QF or CX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I'm down to zero points so starting from scratch again and wondering which OneWorld FF program to use. I am a member of both Qantas FF and Asia Miles, I live in Australia and about to take 5 flights with CX in a few months.

I will take around two long haul flights and several domestic flights a year in economy, I don't usually fly with Qantas but given the earning and reward opportunities for QFF in Australia, is it wiser to start putting my points with them, or will I get more from Asia Miles given I prefer using CX internationally?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bob47 Welcome to the forum

My view is neither.
The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit those flights to does not need to be the same. That is what ffp partner airlines are all about.

What do you want from a ffp? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

With QF you can earn QF points for credit cards & shopping at Woolworths. And QF points on Jetstar flights, in you buy a bundle.
With only a few economy flights you are unlikely to get status
QF awards are high cost compared to others. Look here post 330 And QF have high co payment fees.

AA has been the best ffp for many due to earn/burn and nil co payment on awards unless on BA flights. But due to the recent US Airways-AA merger that may change in the future.

However some CX economy fares are nil to low earning with many ffp's. You fare may only earn with Asiamiles, so check the booking class
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
I would go with QF.
Your points don't expire, so long as you have activity every 18 months.
Even something like a QCC will help keep the QF FF account active.
You can credit flights taken with CX and any OW airline to QF, the earn rates will be low though.
But in the end, its your choice.
Also, CX does not have any Australian lounges in the domestic terminal, so QF is your only friend.
Compared to VA lounges, the QP (QC) is a better deal, $$$ yes, but better deal.
If you have to go somewhere, and EK flies the route, you can earn maximum QF FF points by flying an EK plane but with a QF flight number, rather than flying CX.
Having to go via DXB might be a pain though.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
If you prefer CX internationally, you're better off with them because:

- your status when you get it will be more recognised flying on your home airline
- you'll be able to use your CX miles for long haul upgrades on them
- If you reach the status level where you are entitled to lounge access, when you fly your domestic flights on QF you can access the QF lounge using your CX status anyway
- there are credit cards in AU which can earn you CX miles
- QFF will not show you as much love for flying CX as CX will

There are rumoured to be some changes coming to Asia Miles, but they'd have to be bad to make it worse than QFF.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the informative replies and the links, I'm liking this forum! Given that I won't be using QF much domestically or their lounges (as I'll be mostly on staff travel for domestic flights), I might stick with CX as my OneWorld FF, especially since I can still earn with them with local credit cards. That said, I will be looking into AA program too if their earn/burn rate is better...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.