Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Does a US Upgrade 24 hrs Before Flt change the ticket or just Seat? (for QF earning)

Does a US Upgrade 24 hrs Before Flt change the ticket or just Seat? (for QF earning)

Old May 25, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA

I was told by a US agent that I could purchase an upgrade from Economy to Business 24 hours prior to my upcoming flights.

Do these upgrades just change the seat I would have, leaving me with an Economy ticket, or is the ticket changed also?

I ask because I will be designating the points from the flights to QF, and if the ticket is not changed, I will only receive Economy miles rather than business. I do not care all that much where I sit, but I could use the extra points I would get.

I tried to search this forum but could not find the answer.

Thanks
Old May 25, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You get the miles based upon the fare class originally purchased.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
You will get miles based off the economy class ticket you purchased.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You get the miles based upon the fare class originally purchased.
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
You will get miles based off the economy class ticket you purchased.
Thanks for this, which is what I suspected. I asked the US agent if buying the upgrade would change my ticket for those segments, and she had said "Yes".
Old May 25, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Well it does change your ticket but not the original fare basis from which the mileage is credited off of.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:46 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The system is set up to award points based on class of service (aka "bucket") in which you are ticketed. This is not to say it's the same as what you originally purchased.

A domestic first class upgrade secured with a buy up offer, SWU or points+copay puts you into the "A" bucket, which does not earn any extra points beyond your coach fare.

If, for some reason, there are IRROPS at the airport and an agent needs to rebook you or make other changes to your trip, it's possible they book you directly into "F". In those cases, people have reported getting the class of service bonus because the system credited based on what their ultimate bucket was.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
...A domestic first class upgrade secured with a buy up offer, SWU or points+copay puts you into the "A" bucket, which does not earn any extra points beyond your coach fare...
But a ticket in "A" class earns "first class" points on QANTAS.

Is the paid upgrade to "A" class different from being ticketed in A class, and only earns "Discount Economy" or "Economy" points based on original ticketed class??

Last edited by jrobin; May 26, 2015 at 2:16 pm Reason: clarity
Old May 26, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The agent was correct, but your inference wrong. Yes, the ticket is changed, but that does nothing other than cause a BO in F/J to spit out.

Miles are awarded based on the original class of service purchased. The original class of service was Y, so that will be used for award purposes.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by jrobin

Is the paid upgrade to "A" class different from being ticketed in A class, and only earns "Discount Economy" or "Economy" points based on original ticketed class??
Since you are crediting to QF, what do their agents say, or their materials?

Since you posted to the US forum, others are sharing their experiences with crediting to US. I'd imagine it is similar, but perhaps QF does something different.

PM me if you'd like me to move this over to the QF forum.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:43 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
But on AA it does not, and that's how the points will be sent to Qantas from AA.

Yes. Original ticket earning applies.

Your paid upgrade (whether it be with $$, SWU, or points/points + copay) was not the same as re-faring the ticket to a higher class of service. If you had changed the ticket from your original revenue coach ticket to a revenue "F" ticket, then the new fare rules would apply and you would get the class of service bonus.

But simply upgrading an existing ticket to a fare bucket that is coded as an upgraded coach ticket does not constitute a re-pricing and re-faring of the ticket. Hence, original fare rules apply for purposes of earning points.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this is a QF issue, "How QF reacts to what I do on US is really the issue, not what US does," and that the OP asked me to, I'll move this over to the QF forum (after tweaking the thread title a bit).

Thanks!

aztimm
Old May 26, 2015, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
With American Airlines, A class can have interesting results when crediting to Qantas frequent flyer; mainly due to it being used both for revenue (discount First) bookings and SWU/miles upgrades.

With the former it should credit as First; with the latter crediting should be as per the original fare class booked.

I have flown in A class in both of these situations and crediting has required close watching as there is little consistency with how such travel may credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.