Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Domestic connection on separate tickets at SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic connection on separate tickets at SYD

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Question just for reference...

If one realized the connection window was collapsing, could you just make the connection and skip picking up the bag- and then contact them and ask them to ship it?

would be good to know as an ultimate fallback.

(Seems OP has solved it for now, so just wondering. And indeed one can always misconnect no matter how much time you allow...)
Old May 19, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Question just for reference...

If one realized the connection window was collapsing, could you just make the connection and skip picking up the bag- and then contact them and ask them to ship it?

would be good to know as an ultimate fallback.

(Seems OP has solved it for now, so just wondering. And indeed one can always misconnect no matter how much time you allow...)
Yes, so it says on the website. Alternatively I could collect it on the way back, if I go back via SYD. I am still considering that.

The second afternoon flight has now changed from 1630 to 1730 ... I really do not want to spend five hours in an airport even in a good lounge.

Is there anywhere to nap in the airport?
Old May 19, 2015, 11:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes, so it says on the website. Alternatively I could collect it on the way back, if I go back via SYD. I am still considering that.

The second afternoon flight has now changed from 1630 to 1730 ... I really do not want to spend five hours in an airport even in a good lounge.

The lounge. I have often gone up to the lounge dragons, given them my boarding pass, told them I have been without sleep for XX hours, and I plan to nap. They will give you a wake-up when your flight starts to board, on occasions I have requested - and been given - a wake up call earlier so that I can shower, etc., before boarding.

Dave
Old May 19, 2015, 12:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I hope you are aware of the cost of baggage storage there. Not cheap by any means (more than at LHR if you store it for more than 24 hours) at AUD 15.00 each per 24 hours for a standard suitcase.

Nowhere that is comfortable for sleeping (no recliner seats that I know of), but there is Rydges across the road from the international terminal that may do a day rate.

QF lounges will not be suitable for napping, as they call each flight and it's usually noisy, combined with multiple loud mobile phone talkers doing surround sound effects.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I hope you are aware of the cost of baggage storage there. Not cheap by any means (more than at LHR if you store it for more than 24 hours) at AUD 15.00 each per 24 hours for a standard suitcase.
Well at this rate this connection is expanding I may have time to go somewhere else in Sydney!
Old May 19, 2015, 1:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Well at this rate this connection is expanding I may have time to go somewhere else in Sydney!
I think the cost of baggage storage may cover the cost of a day room. Most hotels would be prepared to store your baggage for you (some may allow you to do so before a stay).
Old May 20, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
1) You can play with the self-tagging, self-measuring, self-weighing machine (not for you, for your bags, I should add). It's not like the BA LGW one and can be amusing the first time you use it.
^ Indeed a great suggestion - kills a wee bit of time. Also if you are rather partial to shiny things you could go to the Qantas ClubPub and be blinded by the amount of high-vis vests you see being worn (although for maximum effect you should do that in the PER QP)
Old May 25, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by thadocta
I sedond the suggestion of the Qantas Heritage Collection - maybe the JLounge for a bit, then the museum (in order to stretch your legs) then back to the JLounge?

Dave
We had a similar set of domestic Australia segments a couple of months ago. Also recommend the Heritage Collection. Lots of interesting exhibits on the planes, routes, even changing uniforms throughout the years. . There was hardly anybody there so it's pretty quiet as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.