Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Lounge access via another OW member status when crediting flights to QF FF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access via another OW member status when crediting flights to QF FF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If the flight isn't credited to QF, they get nothing, and neither would they get anything for your lounge visit if the basis of entry is EK Gold but it is not recorded as such.
Many lounges around the world still have manual sheets to record FF details on lounge entry... they write down the number and presumably send that off to the relevant airline to bill them.

That would seem to be a reasonable solution (discussion of Ts and Cs aside).
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Yes, clearly they're "tightening up on it" but the question is whether they're now applying rules that were ignored before, or whether they've changed the rules. If it's the former, well, so be it, but if it's the latter, they haven't advertised any change and are being misleading.

The website advice doesn't specify that using an EK Gold card (or a OW Sapphire/Emerald card) is only allowed if the corresponding FF program is on the BP. For example, the access eligibility at SYD domestic is:

I have an Emirates Gold. My flight was operated by Qantas with a QF flight number (and was not to the Americas or South Africa.) Class of travel didn't enter into it (I wasn't accessing the lounge as a J/F passenger), QC membership doesn't come into it (I'm no longer a QC member) and my EK FF Membership tier is Gold. One could, by twisting the language, infer that "membership tier for next onward flight" means "have the EK membership tier (and number) on the BP for the next onward flight" but that's not actually what it says. TBH the footnote is badly written and I suspect the phrase "for your next onward flight" is actually meant to modify "class of travel"

Here's what it says for OW Sapphire and Emerald:

So for OW there is not even the twisted logic of "membership tier for next onward flight." There is nothing here at all to even hint that a OW Sapphire/Emerald needs to have their OW FF number on the BP. This is clearly misleading!
OW rules and practices wouldn't come into your situation, since EK is not OW though. Maybe they have a stricter arrangement between them (EK and QF)?

If what you have experienced is the norm, they should update the website to make that clear.

Sorry, I'm genuinely confused by this. Who pays QF for points if the flight is credited to QF? Isn't it the other way around; if the flight is credited to QF, QF pays QFFF for the points, but if not credited to QF, QF pays nothing? In any case QC was trying to get me to NOT credit to QF.
Sorry, my post was rather confusing!

From what I have been told by QF, the carrier pays QF for the points that are credited to QF. So, if QF membership is used as a basis of entering a lounge, then QF will have to pay for your lounge use but QF get paid for QF points awarded to you by the carrier.

If the flight is credited to EK, QF pays EK for their frequent flyer points awarded to you, but they get to charge EK for your QF lounge use.

If you use the EK card to enter the lounge without means of recording it properly (I don't think they do manual records any more at domestic QF lounges? I haven't seen them in any case), QF can't record the flight

If you use EK card to enter the lounge while you have your QF membership number associated with the booking, it may be that they can't bill EK for the lounge use and they will still have to give you the points and use the SC towards your QF status (which I suspect might be what they were referring to as double-dipping).

Another possibility is that EK refuses to pay QF for lounge access unless the flight is credited to EK and therefore QF is charged for EK points awarded to you.

All speculations but just wondering if that's what's happening here.

But as noted above I've used EK before without having the EK number or having my EK card scanned. In fact, I confirmed (at the PER QC) that my EK card ALONE would be sufficient for lounge access before I let my QC membership lapse.
Maybe they have decided as a new policy that they can no longer allow it, because QF must be losing out on a lot of lounge charges by not scanning/recording the partner membership details?

While OW arrangements seem to be fairly relaxed on 'double membership situation' (I often enter with membership crossover but both are Oneworld Emerald (QF Platinum and BA Gold) so maybe that's part of it), maybe they are more strict with EK. It's possible that EK has been strict with QF members and QF has tightened up as well.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Wouldn't all this rubbish be sorted if QF lounge agents were competent enough to input different FF numbers in the four different FF fields (FQTV, FQTS etc.)?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Domestically at QF lounges, the staff at entry have never scanned my boarding pass or asked for a card where the appropriate status shows.

OTOH, at international lounges, the boarding pass (mine and Mrs WF's, if traveling) has always been scanned. And I did manage to gain entrance to the SYD lounge for a CX SYD-HKG (CX Silver at the time) with my QF SG card. I didn't have the normal CX lounge invite since I had checked in with QF in AKL. Though I suppose one could have been obtained at the transfer desk (Speaking of which, is there one and if so where at SYD?). In any event the entry people took note of my flight and card details.

So I will speculate that QF wears the cost of operating the domestic lounges for everyone who has proper OW (or EK) status. Given the overwhelming majority of people would be QFF members, the costs of strict enforcement might very well be more than the earnings, to say nothing of the ill will that would be generated with customers (after all they will be flying QF) and the partner airlines. Internationally, the additional revenue would cover the costs of the more strict checking.

Feel free to disagree and resume happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
OW rules and practices wouldn't come into your situation, since EK is not OW though. Maybe they have a stricter arrangement between them (EK and QF)?
Yes, I know EK is not OW which is why I quoted both the conditions for EK Gold and for OW Emerald/Sapphire, which are different.
If what you have experienced is the norm, they should update the website to make that clear.
Agreed - if those are new rules (or old rules now being enforced) the website should clearly say so.
Sorry, my post was rather confusing!
Not as confusing at the lounge access and FF point rules.
From what I have been told by QF, the carrier pays QF for the points that are credited to QF. So, if QF membership is used as a basis of entering a lounge, then QF will have to pay for your lounge use but QF get paid for QF points awarded to you by the carrier.
Agreed (although see my response to Fred, below) that QF would be paying for my lounge use. Since this was a QF (domestic) flight, I guess it would be QF getting paid by QF for the QF points accrued. Which seems rather irrelevant (but maybe it's an internal transfer that matters to someone.)
If the flight is credited to EK, QF pays EK for their frequent flyer points awarded to you, but they get to charge EK for your QF lounge use.
But as a domestic QF flight, if the flight is credited to EK, I don't get EK miles or QF points or EK tier miles or QF status credits. There's nothing for QF to pay for. Again, it's just that EK would pay for my lounge use.
If you use the EK card to enter the lounge without means of recording it properly (I don't think they do manual records any more at domestic QF lounges? I haven't seen them in any case), QF can't record the flight.
Agreed but as I and others have said, in the past they've allowed lounge entry without recording the EK (or OW) card.
If you use EK card to enter the lounge while you have your QF membership number associated with the booking, it may be that they can't bill EK for the lounge use and they will still have to give you the points and use the SC towards your QF status (which I suspect might be what they were referring to as double-dipping).
Yeah, that was the "double-dipping" the lounge dragon and her supervisor referred to: lounge use AND points/SC. But it's not as if I'm getting double points, or as if QFFF Gold don't get lounge entry PLUS points/SC.
Another possibility is that EK refuses to pay QF for lounge access unless the flight is credited to EK and therefore QF is charged for EK points awarded to you.
I don't know why EK would insist the flight be credited to EK as a condition of paying for lounge entry. There are no EK points awarded to me for QF to be charged for.
Maybe they have decided as a new policy that they can no longer allow it, because QF must be losing out on a lot of lounge charges by not scanning/recording the partner membership details?
I think this must be it but as discussed above they should have advertised the change of policy and updated their website.
While OW arrangements seem to be fairly relaxed on 'double membership situation' (I often enter with membership crossover but both are Oneworld Emerald (QF Platinum and BA Gold) so maybe that's part of it), maybe they are more strict with EK. It's possible that EK has been strict with QF members and QF has tightened up as well.
Except that the thread's premise is that they are tightening up on OW. (The EK discussion is actually a parallel example but somewhat OT, for which I apologize.)
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
So I will speculate that QF wears the cost of operating the domestic lounges for everyone who has proper OW (or EK) status. Given the overwhelming majority of people would be QFF members, the costs of strict enforcement might very well be more than the earnings, to say nothing of the ill will that would be generated with customers (after all they will be flying QF) and the partner airlines. Internationally, the additional revenue would cover the costs of the more strict checking.
I suspect that may have been true in the past but it appears it has now (officially or unofficially) changed. And yes, "ill will" indeed.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:58 am

I suspect that may have been true in the past but it appears it has now (officially or unofficially) changed.
I'll do an experiment next time I fly QF domestic in Y. I am QF Platinum but I'll put my BA membership number into the booking and see if they scan/record it at a domestic lounge.

(I'd better remember to have it changed to the QF number as the earn on QF flights on BA membership is a lot poorer than when credited to QF.)
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I'll do an experiment next time I fly QF domestic in Y. I am QF Platinum but I'll put my BA membership number into the booking and see if they scan/record it at a domestic lounge.

(I'd better remember to have it changed to the QF number as the earn on QF flights on BA membership is a lot poorer than when credited to QF.)
As QF platinum you would simply walk past, show the card and they'll let you in as they usually assume that you will use the QFF card as your boarding pass.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by madrooster
As QF platinum you would simply walk past, show the card and they'll let you in as they usually assume that you will use the QFF card as your boarding pass.
I know, hence my wanting to experiment with a BA card instead to see what happens.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by danger
Wouldn't all this rubbish be sorted if QF lounge agents were competent enough to input different FF numbers in the four different FF fields (FQTV, FQTS etc.)?
I wasn't aware there were so many different fields for frequent flyer numbers.

In May I had my QFF details removed and AB details added at check-in for SYD-SIN, which was a surprise as it was the first time this happened. But from reading this thread it seems this is being enforced across the board.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
One can hope that using a QFF card with status at the lounge entrance will continue to be permitted when flying in the USA and crediting to AA (or other OW airlines).

Historically the only airline which had a (rumored) mechanism for actually using both FQTV and FQTS was Cathay Pacific. Apparently a result of the earning of status with one and mileage/point credit with the other between CX and BA.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:45 pm

That will be interesting. However, to test the situation described above, you'd have to do it the other way around - have your QFFF number on the booking but use a BA card for domestic lounge access.
Originally Posted by madrooster
Agreed. It's the non-QF cards (OW, EK) that they scrutinize more closely.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:29 pm

That will be interesting. However, to test the situation described above, you'd have to do it the other way around - have your QFFF number on the booking but use a BA card for domestic lounge access.
The purpose is to see whether they scan the boarding pass if I don't have a Qantas number in the booking, not whether I gain entry or not (because either number will allow me to enter the lounge).

If I have my Qantas number in the booking, they'll just take a cursory look at the boarding pass and wave me through, and if I insist on using the BA card for lounge entry while crediting to QF and having my QF number in the booking, they'll look at me like I have two heads because there is no reason to do it at all (because both are OWE) and will probably get annoyed with me for causing them extra work unnecessarily.

If I had been QF Gold, I should be able to do a valid experiment if I try to gain domestic business lounge access on the basis of BA number while crediting to QF. Not that I intend to drop a level just for the sake of an experiment

With BA number in my booking, I can at least see if they will scan the boarding pass (e.g. so that they can bill BA for my lounge access). With Qantas Platinum number in the booking, they never scan my boarding pass at the lounge entrance.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:05 am

The purpose is to see whether they scan the boarding pass if I don't have a Qantas number in the booking, not whether I gain entry or not (because either number will allow me to enter the lounge).

If I have my Qantas number in the booking, they'll just take a cursory look at the boarding pass and wave me through, ...

With BA number in my booking, I can at least see if they will scan the boarding pass (e.g. so that they can bill BA for my lounge access).
Yeah, okay, see what happens.

When I used to wave my QC membership card (or until recently, my EK Gold card), they never even looked at my BP. After all, in SYD (and MEL? PER?) you can enter the domestic QC without a BP, and then check in (or get the BP printed/re-printed) at a different desk once inside. In CBR the same person controls access and does the check-in, so I guess that would be more difficult

My test next time will be to just show my EK card and explain that I'm getting the BP inside. And then see if the check-in person throws me out.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:53 am

Hi All - just to bring this thread back to life. I'm Qantas Plat. Want to credit a flight to emirates (I need a few thousand more to upgrade a future flight). If I change it at check in, will I still have lounge access etc?

Cheers
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fatnakedman
Hi All - just to bring this thread back to life. I'm Qantas Plat. Want to credit a flight to emirates (I need a few thousand more to upgrade a future flight). If I change it at check in, will I still have lounge access etc?

Cheers
Which airline are you travelling on and which lounge do you want to access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.