Moving to Oz: QFF or stick with AA?

Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Moving to Oz: QFF or stick with AA?

First things first, yes, I've searched this topic and seen some opinions, but I didn't one that looked like it was directly applicable to my situation. Hence, a new thread! Mods: feel free to close/combine/whatver as necessary.

I'm an AA Lifetime PLT, currently EXP but with a paltry 6 segments YTD, there's no way I'll requalify, especially post-move to Oz where I'm likely to be traveling very little, if at all.

As I see it, the benefits of sticking with AA or continuing to get generous earning (provided I navigate the fare codes appropriately if/when I fly QF) and lounge access and other reciprocal bennies through OW. Looking through the QFF details, I don't really see any benefit at all unless I'm traveling premium cabin more often that not (I wouldn't be). Is there something I'm missing? Should I continue to accrue in AA and at least get lounge access as part of the deal, or is there a compelling reason to move to QFF?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
How long do you plan to stay in Australia?
4 years students visa?
4 years as a sponsored employee visa?
PR?
How often do you plan to go back to the US?
Not that I can help withe the answers, but maybe if you provide the info, it might help the others.
Personally, as an Australian citizen, I am with both QF and VA, have been with QF since 1997 when I was an Australian PR visa holder. Been with VA for 10 years, 2005.
I certainly would not go and join SQ/MH's programs.
Points life do die with airlines, so if you do plan to go back to the US once a year, maybe still fly AA codeshare with QF, but maybe start your flying life downunder with QF.
300 SC for PS is probably a large number to meet. A few local J class flights will get you there, though SG harder still at 700 SC.
If no regular flying, but when you do fly occasionally, paying your own $ and flying J might help.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

We figure on staying 3-5 years, but it's open-ended. I'll be a on a 457 sponsored visa. I would expect to return to the US 2-3 times per year at the most. I would plan to book QF as an AA codeshare and credit to AA so I get my 100% bonus. I would plan to fly QF as much as possible but would look to either book as AA codeshares or if that's not possible, book to whatever the cheapest fare is that gets me full miles on AA.

If I were to fly enough to get the segment credits for status on QF, it's not clear what the gets me, if anything, besides perhaps AA lounge access when flying domestically in the US.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stick with AA - with Platinum status , you will be earning a minimum of 1000 miles per flight on the short runs ( vs 800 credited to QF in discount economy ) and have much better redemption rates
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Stick with AA - with Platinum status , you will be earning a minimum of 1000 miles per flight on the short runs ( vs 800 credited to QF in discount economy ) and have much better redemption rates
This is IMHO the correct answer.

bpauker will have Qantas lounge access (before qantas/oneworld flights), minimum earn as indicated - indeed, the current AAdvantage program is far better in earn/burn than that of Qantas'.

Note that Credit Card miles/points earn is relatively stingy when compared with such in North America, and even worse if you wish to credit to AA. (Best that can generally be done is an Amex card with Membership rewards points that can be transferred to to AAdvantage at 40,000:25,000.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I can't fault the previous comments IF you are going to be located in eastern Australia. OTOH if Western Australia, the issues of international flying become a bit more convoluted.

I agree that the AA PLT bonus and current AA redemption rates can't be ignored, but the unpublished benefits of CX status and the inability to credit most CX economy flying to AA make decisions less clear.

So, will it be east or west?

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zero benefit from QF ffp compared to AA. And you are AA lifetime Plat.

Buying the AA codeshare for Aust-USA flights may cost more $ than the value of the 100% bonus benefit you would receive. You will not be able to buy AA codeshares for Au domestic flights.

For USA based airlines ffp upgrades seem to be an expected benefit/entitlement from status. That doesl not happen in Australia, even with top QF status.

For the value of QF points/surcharges vs AA miles look at post 330. To me 2 QF points = 1 AA mile.

Several AA vs QF threads linked in post 2 here :http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Helpful comments, and it seems to validate my original thinking of sticking with AA.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
AA is the way to go unless a polite letter to QF yields LTG bht this would be unlikely
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garethlewis
AA is the way to go unless a polite letter to QF yields LTG bht this would be unlikely
Even if it did yield Lifetime Gold - which it wouldnt, it wouldn't make QF a worthwhile scheme to collect to over AA

If going to write in for something that would never be granted, at least ask fot LT Platinum status
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
The only two reasons I could think of for crediting to QF would be:

- QF Gold gets your access to AAdmirals Clubs on US domestic itineraries
- certain OW flights which you can't credit to AA can be credited to QF (like certain Cathay economy fare buckets).

They're not compelling reasons.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
The only two reasons I could think of for crediting to QF would be:
- QF Gold gets your access to AAdmirals Clubs on US domestic itineraries
- certain OW flights which you can't credit to AA can be credited to QF (like certain Cathay economy fare buckets).
They're not compelling reasons.
If spending QF points on long haul award the QF cash sucharges is often a lot more the the cost of buying, with cash, an AAdmirals club 30 day or even 1 year membership (or even QF club if desperate).
Old May 3, 2015, 11:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
As a former QF Plat, I can also recommend staying with AA...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.