Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Transit Visa Query

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Qantas Transit Visa Query

Hi guys,
Just registered and this is my first post.
Me and my partner live in NZ as residents although we both hold different passports UK & Philippines.
We booked a trip to the UK through Qantas online months ago and had a 9 hour stopover in Sydney airport.
Does the airline have a duty of care to advise that we need a transit visa for this length if time?
We could not board flight due to the Philippine passport - couldn't get 72 hour transit visa?
So we have had to change our flight plans and got hit with additional fees. Its cost me over $2000 more to change to a later flight times. That is on top of the $4500 I paid already for the flights.
Was not really impressed with the service and could not find anything online.
Do you know if we could apply for compensation either through the airline or our insurance?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Dom
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by domjones
Hi guys,
Just registered and this is my first post.
Me and my partner live in NZ as residents although we both hold different passports UK & Philippines.
We booked a trip to the UK through Qantas online months ago and had a 9 hour stopover in Sydney airport.
Does the airline have a duty of care to advise that we need a transit visa for this length if time?
We could not board flight due to the Philippine passport - couldn't get 72 hour transit visa?
So we have had to change our flight plans and got hit with additional fees. Its cost me over $2000 more to change to a later flight times. That is on top of the $4500 I paid already for the flights.
Was not really impressed with the service and could not find anything online.
Do you know if we could apply for compensation either through the airline or our insurance?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Dom
Unfortunately it seems like you had a bit of bad luck here

Transit without visa is allowed for a maximum of 8 hours... and you were outside that.

Unfortunately the airline was correct to deny you boarding without the proper immigration clearance. The airline can get fined for doing so.

The responsibility for complying with or obtaining any necessary immigration requirements or documentation lies solely with the passenger.

The airline's role is simply to check that you have the correct documentation (or are exempt from it) at any time before you board the flight.

As such, Qantas is not obligated to provide you with compensation, and I'm not sure your insurance company will compensate you either... although worth checking the fine print just in case!

I guess you and your partner could have decided to take separate flights once the visa issue was identified, saving you $1000 in change fees.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The responsibility for visas et al is purely that of the passenger - the airline has no responsibility other than to verify that the passenger holds the necessary documents at time of departure

Maybe travel insurance will cover, but I suspect that it will not cover this
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Welcome to FT domjones. Unfortunately, as two other posters already said, it is your own responsibility to be aware of visa requirements for your travel. Should you book through brick-and-mortar travel agent, he/she would tell you for sure (again not required to do so, but that's one huge benefit of them I am aware of). Since you opted for on-line booking it is your own responsibility. As far as I know, no insurance will cover your for your own mistake either. Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.