Wiki Posts
Search

Award Flight Charges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:07 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Award Flight Charges

We have had to make some changes to travel plans.

Our original award flight was on Qatar from Vienna-Doha-Perth in Business.
The charges were 208,000 points plus 526.54 Euros - about $740AUD altogether for two people.

We have chosen alternative flights on Emirates from Geneva-Dubai-Perth in Business.
These charges are 224,000 points and $1,537.00 AUD for two people!

I wonder if anyone can explain why the huge difference in what appears to be similar flying times and distance. Qatar was the much cheaper option for charges, not sure why?

Our other flight is Singapore-Dubai-Rome on Emirates at 168,000 points and $1152 SGD or $1084 AUD.

Does this all sound correct?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Checking current taxes/fares disguised as taxes ( "carrier imposed surcharges" )

For Qatar, Taxes for the journey are €72.25 per person plus €243.00 fare disguised as taxes which comes to €315.25 each = €630.50 for 2

For Emirates, Taxes for the journey are CHF35 plus CHF490.00 fare disguised as taxes which comes to CHF525 each = CHF1050 for 2

CHF1050 is around $1408 according to xe.net

The main difference seems to be that QR's surcharge of €243 ( approx $341 ) is much less unreasonable than Emirates's surcharge of CHF490 ( approx $657 )

For Singapore to Rome per person taxes are SGD34 plus fare disguised as taxes of SGD491.50 for total SGD525.50 which is approximately AUD495

The main difference for the similar journeys is the cas componant of the award . The taxes for QR and EK to Perth has GVA-PER actually lower at approx $47 vs $102 for VIE-PER , but the cash componant is much higher on Emirates

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 28, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:20 pm
VLJ
Original Poster

Thanks so much Dave, appreciate the help and information.

Big difference on the Singapore fees - although they were booked in December, I do hope that's the reason for the nearly $600 difference in total charged for the Singapore-Dubai-Rome legs.

Edit: I think you were saying per person - so that makes sense, sorry

Am interested to know how the cash component works - is this an agreement made between Qantas and Emirates on using frequent flyer points? Qatar obviously more generous.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Each airline sets its own "surcharges" , Qantas just happily charges it on a redemption booking

This isn't specifically for an award booking, but exists for cash bookings. Fuel surcharges were introduced when fuel prices were very volatile and many airlines still apply a surcharge even though there is no (imo) good reason for it. Some FF schemes will charge the surcharge as a tax/charge on redemption award

Not all schemes apply surcharges. If you had had AA FF miles and redeemed for the VIE-PER on QR from its scheme, you would have been charged 60,000 points plus EUR72 in taxes per person ( would not have been able to redeem on EK since not a AA partner )

Indeed the Singapore taxes of $495 are per person so $990 for 2. Exchange rate fluctuations and/or slightly different rate used may explain the difference to what you paid. Need to look at the cost in SGD to be sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.